Why I think a 100W Powercore 26800, 60W 20Ah and 30W 10Ah is coming June

While we were lukewarm about the Fusion 5000 PD, it’s producing 18W from a single 5000mAh cell is telling me Anker has solved the heating problem with that level, and yet not using GaN yet.

So if 18W from 5Ah, so 100W from 26.8W is simple linear.

I do think they’ll need to put GaN within because the more cells in one chassis the less the cooling per unit volume, but in the Fusion they did have the AC-DC conversion in the same chassis so I think they can make this product.

Also in UK this is overdue a discount, I’d expect it shortly.

That coming would be a sign of shifting stock before the 100W behemoth cometh.

My ask, and why I am posting it publically, before Anker releases the product is they make it:

• intelligent two or three USB-PD output ports, based on priorities so say you can get two 45W out.
  • a two USB-PD and a 3rd Type A does then allow you to for example two 45W and 15W.
  • I know Wattage out is easier to get than Wattage in so I am cool with 60W in and 100W out. I’ll forgive you this. You’re welcome.

Similarly I expect Anker can:

• take the current 20Ah 18W out to 30W out. May need GaN.
  • 10W 18W to 30W. Won’t need GaN, simply it’s shape should be suffice.

What price you pay for these? I’d expect the future Powercore 26800 100W to be launched at $140-$150, then drop to around the $120 after a couple of months and the very rare $90 for the lucky fast action members. Anker attempt to launch at a much higher price as they’d bundle with a to-be 100W PD charger they’d be separately launching around $100 mark, but if they did they’d get immediate backlash on price.

June is 8 months after the 45W Powercore 26800 and is then 2 months after China began relaxing lockdown so factories and supply chains are close to healed.

Posting now allows me to be very wrong but publically so I am brought down!

3 Likes

I definitely think Anker will release a 26800 mAh portable charger with two USB-C ports in the near future… not sure if it will support 100W output just yet.

Either way, certainly looking forward to see if your predictions verify as many of them have in the past!

1 Like

Much of the issue with all of their products is Lithium overheating, safety, product longevity, and Anker plays very safe, they are consistently way behind RavPower I notice who have 60W today. If they’d just introduce thermal throttling, called it “Solarsense” or similar, where if it overheats it turns off briefly and on at a lower Wattage. That would work within PD standards, it represents itself at a lower Wattage.

They can do that also with Qi loops on top of Powercore, so burst cold to begin at say 15W.

It would give burst mode, when everything is cold you get more ooomph. Phones do it now…

1 Like

A 30W PowerCore 10000 and a 45W PowerCore 20000 should be coming soon.

I think a 100W PowerCore 26800 is also in the foreseeable future, but Anker will probably release a 60W version first.

1 Like

If they release a 100w Powercore I think that will put them ahead of the competition, I just don’t know how much demand there would be for such a portable battery.
And I bet their price would be quite high

1 Like

I think 60W has been viable months but the virus interrupted manufacturing so they canned / skipped it and release one after it 100W instead.

You think because they are downplaying portable chargers and promoting hubs they’ll just quietly kill innovation in portable chargers? They’d undermine their chargers and their hub sales if they do. That hub which takes 100W in and say 85W out means the devices wanting 85W exist so they’d need the portable charger, and if you have 100W chargers, what portable charger do they recharge? If you don’t get the entire charger + portable charger + hub up at the equal 100W level then the lack of one of them undermines the others.

1 Like

Anker needs to offer all of their portable chargers outside of bundles. Fine to also offer a bundled version, but most people that are buying such powerful accessories already have chargers for them.

Plus, it’s oftentimes cheaper to grab two products at their lowest prices than a bundle at its lowest price.

2 Likes

Agree, both bundled and unbundled. For example I already own a 45W PD charger so I’d prefer if I were to buy a 45W Powercore I’d prefer to not buy the bundle. I’d never ever travel just with a single port charger anyway.

My current 26800 is 3.5 years old, I expect it to die by end of the year, its been gently treated its life.

1 Like

I dont think Anker would do this… Reason… Anker already plans ( supposed) to release the Anker PowerHouse 100, which packs a large 27,000mAh battery which equates to 100Wh… 100W output via USB-C.

Might be a tricky to also release a similar product which conflicts the Powerhouse 100

Will @professor become the Jon Prosser of anker? :joy:

Nope, PowerHouse 100 outputs up to 45W via USB-C…

Ouch… I thought 100Wh meant supply 100W upto 1 hr… and this would happen via USB-C

I’m pretty sure that’s what it means in theory, but it’s not necessarily actually 100w. Aka 45w for 2.22hrs = 100wh as well

If that was the case, then the existing PowerCore 26800s would also support 100W PD. They’re 100Wh (or very close), too!

May be Anker can specify when they finally release PowerHouse 100 to public

You can see the error statement here

45W in. Suggests 60W out is capable but orally I heard 45W out PD and I heard 100W AC out. 100W AC is pre RMS so is actually 67W.

If that makes no sense, the cells can sustain say 67W DC, they give 67W DC, then the DC-AC converter takes the period when the voltage is higher sinusoidal to be when the Amps is lower to produce at time of peak Voltage x Amps to be 100W at peak of the sinusoidal curve. But all that happens is the AC-DC in your device brick flattens and receives 67W.

You might call it lying.

Also see Aukey are doing exactly what I say Anker should do, of use of thermal throttling. The smaller an item the less it can cool itself (surface area to square is cooling, volume is to cube so energy, and is why the Sun is what it is). So you can have the electronics to make say 100W but you are too small to cool yourself to sustain 100W. The answer is obvious and trivial, you just sense your own temperature and when you get too hot you just lower your output. The other method is also obvious but not trivial which is you have a pull-out peice of copper to extend you surface area, but that’s a moving part which adds another thing to fail so I think thermal throttling is viable, simple, trivial for Anker to add. Solves the Qi peak Watts problem for combo Powercore.

1 Like

Based on all the Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns that pertain to portable batteries, I’d say that there will be a lot of demand.

1 Like

I have the same one. I bought mine 4 months after you (March 2017). Recharge time is terrible now (dual charging it on 2.4A still takes over 12 hours), so obviously something’s not working right inside. But it holds a really good charge. Easily lasts a week with heavy usage. Maybe we should have treated it more gently.

True. It’s comforting and annoying at the same time.

An example of Anker playing it safe. I’m okay with this.

1 Like

The two most common reasons a cell dies < 4 years is either too little usage or being stored too hot or too cold. If you store it at room temperature and use if once every 3 months, it should be close to full capacity til 4 years then die. The less common reason is it is used heavily as it has 500 full cycles. The latter is why 18 months warranty as daily use 500 / 365 x 12 = 16, or weekday x 7/5 = 23.

1 Like

And Aukey.

Thermal throttling solves all the major reasons why small things are less powerful. I think it solves the Qi portable charger problem and matches consumer need. We’d all be willing to get higher Wattage initially to get a boost and matches that most things don’t need all the peak all of the time.

I am only pointing out what any engineer employed by Anker would say to the product manager. I suspect, it’s just a little behind Aukey to allow for more testing. I’ll take Edo’s words on face value, the same technology just later after more testing. So if Anker is releasing what I said say 1 month later than Aukey… June!

I’ll let Anker use my name for thermal throttling. I’m calling it “solar sense” because this is how our sun operates, if it gets too hot it expands which lower the temperature so it cools and shrinks back down.

Literally listen to this section only

“we sometimes only have 2 or 3 minutes to charge our phones”
So what Anker has been doing is using sustained power output and yet for travelers it’s peak which matters more, if you can get say 100W for 2 or 3 minutes but then charger gets hot and drops to say 60W, then that’s better than just selling a 60W charger. Trivial. Devices once they get nearly fully recharged themselves then drop their needs anyway, so it balances.

2 Likes