[New Release] PowerCore III Fusion 5000 | Anker’s Smallest Portable Charger with Power Delivery is Now Available!

Concur - I too don’t hold on to my electronics that long anyway. But I prefer to sell something that I would purchase myself (treat people the way I want to be treated) so I do treat my devices with upmost care. Article plus info from you has been extremely helpful and I’ll adjust how I charge my electronics moving forward. Thank you all for the feedback :slight_smile:

Looking after your batteries matters $ more for items you keep longest and are expensive.

That typically is not your phone as typical phone replacement is 2 years, typical battery cycles is 500, people may do half a cycle per day so 1000 days = 3 years. You may be abusing your phone quicker than this, as you seem to be saying you’re doing 80% of a cycle per day, so 600 days < 2 years.

Powercore, the ones I get in the $30 region, similarly don’t need to worry, in fact these should be used deeply cycled by getting a Powercore just big enough to meet your needs, so its as small as possible, then fully using it. Warranty is 18 months so if you emptied once daily 500 cycles = 18 months.

Laptops, tablets, they are a different story typically. Costs $300-$1000. Much more attention to keeping them charged and not discharging as tablets and laptops send to be in the 3 years of use region. It is tablets and laptops I have done the most battery replacement to keep them going.

Typed on a 5 year old laptop, I replaced its battery last year.

1 Like

Impressive. I pride myself on being cheap but this has me beat.

1 Like

That is nothing, this is my phone case. It is still capable of protecting my phone from drops (it has multiple times), so I’m not replacing it yet. And I only pay about $6 for my cases.

2 Likes

I dont’ known why it is only 5000mAh; not enought!

1 Like

It is because:

• USA type 2 pin plug
  • weight
  • if you travel with it you will more often encounter hotel and airport wall sockets which are worn
  • heavy things then simply fall out of the worn socket

So there is a weight issue. The question we have is after over 3 years later they not done either:

• put more than 5000mAh in same weight, or
  • made it smaller, the less it protrudes from the wall the less the pulling out force, or
  • made it lighter for the same 5000mAh

People who are not aware of this are not frequent travellers, used to just home and office where plugs are much less worn.

They put in a basic 26650 5000mAh cell in it, they have to keep a slab type form factor for cooling as it has the AC-DC converter in same chassis. We’re puzzled by why stuck to the same basic design and just upped the Wattage of one port.

All they seem to have done is up the Wattage output, so an electronics boost in > 3 years.

2 Likes

UPDATE

PowerCore III Fusion 5000 PD has an 18W USB-C port and a 12W USB-A port (15W total output when using both ports :frowning: ).

The USB-C port can output up to 18W in battery mode, making this Anker’s smallest portable charger with PD. :slight_smile:

The USB-C port is for output only, not input. :frowning:

This does not utilize Gallium Nitride, which might explain why it seems so large and heavy :frowning: (this may also help keep the price down).

View the full updated list of features and details HERE.

This part across the newer Powercore has been puzzling me. The Powercore 10000 PD had 18+10, but then subsequent Powercore then became 18 or 10 or both 12. The 18+10 I own, I metered it, it also did not overheat, so Anker knows how to make it, and they choose not to. Cost? more warranty claims? The 10000 PD Redux removed some of this.

Give Anker credit here. 18W from a single cell is a success.

Truth was there was never a need for C input for this, its input is the wall.

GaN would not really have helped in this product. The fusion of a cell within one encasing was always going to be struggle. The most impressive part is 18W out from one cell. I assume it is the same 26650.

If they know how to make 18W from 3.7V then expect a 30W PD Powercore 10000mAh in next months.

1 Like

UPDATE

Anker’s PowerCore III Fusion 5000 is now available to order from amazon.com for $39.99 (plus $3.99 shipping at the moment) and should begin shipping immediately.

1 Like

I expect this to be discounted to around $30 before too long.

2 Likes

They tend to do 20% discount after 1 week so $32 , after a month a very short 28% discount to $29 then after 2 months it would be $20 and then flip up/down between $20 and $29 over a year, then slowly increase usually $21 - $30.

We’ll see…

1 Like

Nice product but don’t think it’s for me right now not desperate to get it and want to save up for other devices probably

1 Like

The worst part about the 15W shared power is the fact that it also applies to wall charger mode.

I wonder the cost saving in components.

A dime? A quarter? Probably more than a dime.

1 Like

I think I’ll wait for this price lol

1 Like

I am a little bit confused. There is the Anker PowerCore Fusion Power Delivery with 30W PD output and GaN tech. This feels like it’s going backwards. Or maybe it’s just me? Then again the one I mentioned retails for $100 and normally on sale for $60. Maybe that one is a different class all together?

1 Like

The main upgrade with this model is that the USB Type-C port is capable of outputting Power Delivery in battery mode. It is also targeting a different market with a much lower price.

Oh that makes sense. The one I mentioned is much more expensive even when on sale.

1 Like

Oh my, take a look at this review: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2G8V0NP7QDXS9

Thoughts, @professor?

I’d say it is device specific. A typical phone does a saw-tooth on/off charging when full, this phone must be not quite dropping off enough to trigger.

Or, Anker fibbed and never tested or test just happened to be on a phone which fully stops charging to trigger.

Anker should address this.

1 Like