Understanding USB-C | Everything You Need to Know!

USB-C is a unified interface connector designed to accommodate charging multiple classes of devices, as well as high-speed transmission of data. Data transmits at up to 40 Gbps, and 100 watts of power meets the charge and discharge requirements of mobile equipment…and even some small household appliances!

Currently, USB-C is mostly designed to meet the high-speed charging and data requirements of mobile phones and tablets, but it’s developing toward integration of smart home devices, media equipment, and terminals; eventually becoming the universal interface medium for an unprecedented range of electronics.

Connector Variants

There are a lot of different cables which use the USB-C interface, the most common being USB-C to USB-A (standard USB), USB-C to USB-C, and USB-C to HDMI (for audiovisual display). To meet the needs of the transition period between multiple connector types and the era of universal USB-C, adapters combining Micro USB (female) to USB-C and USB-A (female) to USB-C have emerged.

We’ve adapted our signature PowerLine cables to match a variety of connector types:

USB Variants

USB-C cables are classified into different versions according to functionality and speed. USB 3.1 Gen1 is equivalent to what is commonly known as “USB 3.0.”

Power Delivery Compatibility

All of our USB-C to USB-C cables support Power Delivery charging. PowerLine II USB-C 3.1 Gen2 and USB-C to USB-C Thunderbolt 3.0 also support a maximum current of 100 W (20 V / 5 A).

USB-C to Lightning Cables

Currently, only Apple makes the official USB-C to Lightning cable. MFi certification is not yet available for this type of cable. However, once MFi certification opens, we plan to develop these as well.

Do you have any more questions about USB-C and the different cable types? Just leave a comment here, and we’ll do our best to clarify!:grin:

Technically Yours,
AnkerTechnical

24 Likes

Thank you for clarifying this ! It’s always a bit complicated to fully understand the differences.

2 Likes

Great information… thank you!

2 Likes

Information is always welcomed…thanks!

1 Like

Very useful post! a lot more clear for me now!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this enlightenment!
This helps a lot!!!:grinning:

1 Like

Does the USB-C to USB-C cable included in PowerCore 20000 PD supports charging maximum current of 100 W (20 V / 5 A)?

1 Like

Great post with lots info. I’ve got my 1st PD PowerPort so now looking to get my 1st device :smile:

1 Like

Don’t forget the USB to USB-C adapters (non-cable)

1 Like

Nice informative post!

I remember the days when USB was a novelty, and you actually had to buy a separate card to have USB ports in your Desktop computer before they came integrated into the motherboards. We’ve came a long way from the now old parallel ports!

I would ask the same think @Isaac_Schloss did: how does adapters play with the cables? I imagine the adapters act not only as, well, adapters, but also as a funnel for the data/power transmission, but I’m also interested how such adapters cope with this difference and how the heat transfer affects both cable and adapter in the process.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

When I was shopping for a new USB-C cable, I had to Google the hell out of it to find out the differences… all the info I gathered is all up here in this post. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, Anker’s current options for USB-C to USB-C are only go up to 6ft in length. The cable that comes with the new Macbook measures at 2m (6.5ft), so it’s technically not an upgrade for me. Also, the USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 option is only available in 3ft option…

@AnkerTechnical When can we expect an Anker USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen2 in a 6 foot or 10 foot option?

2 Likes

These are great information. It is sad that Apple has not MFi for Lightning to USB-C but I’m happy when you produce some

Great post! Sharing this with a few of my friends who have wondered about the differences.

This is an amazing read. I’m going to share a lot of this with my coworkers. It’s important to know these details and now I have a better understanding.

As always, I enjoy articles like this. It helps clarify a lot of things. Thanks for the informative article. Would you mind including either links or pics of the various USB C cables? I think that would also help. Thank you :slight_smile:

Here’s a question… I have a GoPro Hero5 Black that uses a USB-C to USB-A ( I assume), if I got a USB-C to USB-C cable and charged it via my PowerPort PD, would it be ok?

i have hero 5 and works fine either way.

1 Like

Unless you are in need of a longer cable, there is no need to go out and search for a longer cable. In fact, the opposite is true. The longer the cable, the slower the charging speeds / data transfers will be. Just because it’s a shorter cable doesn’t mean it’s inferior.

I have started to see USB-C pop up elsewhere too - I recently even installed a logitech webcam with a USB-C input on the webcam recently. I’ve now moved to USB-C on my phone (Moto z2 Force Edition) and my laptop (Asus flip c302), and I expect the trend to continue.

One thing I would love from @AnkerTechnical is an AC adapter that could keep up with the high power demands of my Asus Flip AND safely power the Moto Z2 Force Edition. I still carry the turbo charger for my phone and the factory charger for my laptop, so it would be cool to have an Anker product that could support both specs.

Thank you AnkerTechnical for putting this out. Hopefully we will see the USB-C to Lightning Cable in the future. Also other wanting to learn about usb-c stuff should google the name Benson Leong.