UK PowerPort Atom III Slim 63w Lands on Amazon.co.uk

It’s landed!
Dual USBC and USBA, great travel companion.

Check it out here,

4 Likes

About time lol, hope I sells good over there

1 Like

I think it will especially with the 45/18w USBC.
Although the 45w output drops to 30w drop if both USBC outputs are in use. But still a very useful charger @ikari04warrior :+1:t2:

1 Like

Are you sure? I think only the 45W drops down to 30W.

1 Like

Now it’s out and more details, this is definitively a step in the right direction.

The ratio of C to A is more in balance to our needs, the slim design makes is easier to pack and the C8 cord makes it work in more places, like the typical travel issue of one power socket in an awkward place now becomes 4 USB sockets in a more accessible spot. You’d tend to pair this with short USB cables as you get the net cable length you need from the C8 cord. The bundled 5ft cord you can replace with longer if you needed a bit more flexibility.

I’m back home now having lived off a Nano and a Mini giving me 1 C 2 A 30W, and so this is more suited to my needs.

If it’s launch price is £46 implies within days it will be £37 using the usual 19% discount and patience will get you the odd £28

To keep momentum, the obvious next step is to work on the intelligence. To ringfence 15W to two A ports is the wrong way to go you should be able to take the total 60W budget and allow it to all go to 1 port if used, or share it out on a basis TBD as ports used. So this current product shares

• C port is 45W, unless other C port is used then its 30W + 18W
  • A ports share 15W
  • max is therefore 63W made up of 30W+18W+15W
  • so you have one port which is either 45W or 30W, another port always 18W and two ports always sharing 15W.

To make it more intelligent it should be moving in a direction of:

• C port is 60W (or 65W)
  • unless other port used, and then 60W drops based on the demands of the other ports

There are plenty of laptops which won’t accept less than 45W but benefit from 60W, if you swapped the bundled laptop charger for my imagined better future version of this product then so long as you didn’t plug in anything needing more than 15W in the other ports, your laptop would still recharge. Under this current product as soon as you plugged anything in the other C port, the laptop would stop recharging even if the added device needed only 10W. So for weight / size conscious travelers, there is a need for more intelligence within these multiport chargers. Once I see that, then I’ll give it a wow response.

My interpretation of the listing agrees with yours, the 45W drops to 30W if 2nd C port is used, so you have basically two chargers here sharing a power cord. A dual C charger is 45W if one of its 2 ports used, becomes a 30W+18W if the 2nd C port used, the dual A charger is 15W. These 4 ports total don’t share a power budget, you have a 48W budget and a 15W budget independent of each other, no intelligence across 4 ports, only intelligence across just 2 of the 4 ports. A step forwards but more can be done.

Not true. It isn’t 45W+18W when using two C ports. It’s 30W+18W when using two C ports as 15W is always locked away in the 2 A ports. Anker need to really tighten up and 100% precision in all the words in their listings, someone will buy this charger, plug in their iphone into the 18W port and then say the product is not giving 45W to their laptop, it’s getting 30W, not 45W.

You’re not getting 45W port and 18W port, you’re getting either 45W port, or a 30W and 18W port. Anker should edit this to match the rest of their details.

If you bought this charger, and had a MPB and an iPhone, you’d get more Wattage if you carried a C-C cable and a A-L cable so the iPhone got 12W from the A port when plugged in and the MBP would always get 45W, and if you needed to charge a smaller Wattage device (buds, say) you’d use the 2nd A port. So certain combinations of port use are dumber to use, if you carried a C-C and a C-L cables you’d get 48W but if you carried C-C and A-L cables you’d get 57W. You’d need to rarely to use the 2nd C port as it takes away from the 45W port, you’d 1st priority use the A port, and only if you needed 4 ports then use the 2nd C port. So there’s substantial room for improvement from Anker in the intelligence in power budget.

If Anker is making the next version, please reach out via PM and let us share feedback.

1 Like

You are correct @Insider

1 Like

It’s been the couple of weeks wait already

com-optimize(1)

1 Like

I find I’m looking at it on Amazon a few times a day @professor

1 Like

You know @professor ive been using Camel since you mentioned it to me many months ago but I’m finding the notifications lacking, and it seems to miss voucher codes.

Yes and my Raspberry Pi is broken but to fix I need to kneel down near router. I had my own scripts.

I’d use CCC to complement other methods, sometimes it catches it before other methods, but yes imperfect. I do doubt their business model, are they neutral, or do they steer you to those who give them the most affiliate kick-back. All these discounting sites click-thru with a revenue-earning code, and of course the lower the price the lower the kick-back so there is an inherent conflict of interest.

Not saying there is, just healthy skepticism.

I strip all codes on my links, this community then adds their own so they can track where the buyer came from, a way to measure revenue earning success of this community “tag=cm-sales-uk-2019-21”

1 Like

Skepticism is my middle name @professor :+1:t2:

1 Like

Ok @professor we have movement on price, in the wrong direction :thinking:
I would say an inflation of the price means a drop is imminent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089XZ5DZZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_mdpSFbP2ZWFDQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My suggestion is it caused purely by the apparent change in GBP due to the USD rate change last month.

I still think this product is being parked in not being made in large volume to allow for the port to get “upgraded” to 20W so anyone wanting to spend £ should wait. It’s such an obvious upgrade, Anker would have the issue of folks returning (causing a lot of Amazon renewed stock) the 18W version in their 30 day no-quibble free return period so an upgraded version is preceded by either “currently unavailable” or price kept high to suppress sales.

The only discount globally was 14 days ago so at least 2 more weeks til the 20W upgraded version, is my theory. And I’m stating it here knowing I’m sticking neck out and easily wrong.

There’s other 20W port products coming.

I wish Anker would just share roadmap so bad guesses replaced with good quality information.

2 Likes

If thats the case, and an upgraded version is on its way, why not pull the plug on the existing range.
Having stock sitting in warehouses and advertised overpriced isn’t solving anything.
If what we think is happening actually is.
Anker would or at least should slash the price to clear whats already out there so people don’t have a big enough reason to send it back.

1 Like

I may be seeking logic out of random chaos.

They do keep selling pre-upgraded versions at lower price, particularly with the speakers, so once new one comes in the pre-upgraded is then discounted so then people have choice of cheaper 18W or more expensive 20W.

If I were asked I’d just suggest discount it to around the £36 region now as 20W is barely different to 18W for most situations. e.g. an iPhone spends half its time <18W already, it only really helps in the first 30 mins of charging. Then sell new one at £45 and old (existing) for £36 til old stock gone then discount new. What you said…

I’m happy with my two Slim 63, I don’t own anything >18W yet, and if I did buy something it would be likely 45W anyway.

In your case I think you’re waiting for a PPS PDO many-port USB-C desk charger?

2 Likes

I definitely need PPS, i don’t think i need PDO for my “plus”
As i understand it, i should get 25w ok from a PPS charger.

If the current model was £35 i would snap one up, but certainly not at £49/46.

4 USBC would be my dream for a new model but would be happy with 3 and can give or take the USB A socket.

Let’s see what the future (probably distant) will bring.

1 Like

You’ll get 30W with PPS as that’s 10W 3A, but to get 45W needs PDO to make 10W 4.5A and a 100W cable. The Slim 63W is 45W PPS but due to no PDO you’d see 30W. You get 30W anyway out of the 45W when using the 18W so that’s not too bad a setup, 18W C + 30W C + 15W A out of 1 socket. The 18W will recharge your 10K Wireless while your phone recharged 30W and then any USB-A misc needs in parallel (watch, buds, flashlight, etc)

2 Likes

Glad I didn’t go for the “Ultra” then, I’ll still get the 25w fast charge from it.

1 Like

Just looked at the Ultra recharge benchmarks. 6 minutes saved to get 5000mah battery full from 45W instead of 30W.

I can the arguments to go for 18W over 12W but it’s diminishing returns above that.

1 Like