[eufy cam] The big "Range Extenders we need!" Survey ;-)

Do you think writing in bold and larger font will help you at all? I have to say so far I am not impressed at all with the camera’s range but the support has been very friendly and accommodating.
Didn’t you back the kickstarter project? Well, I don’t think you can always expect what you are paying for there. I stopped backing any of the projects there because they can’t always deliver what they promised.

2 Likes

Servus Stefan!

Da trifft man mal wieder einen der seltenen Germanen.

Willkommen!!!

Welcome!!!

Nice to meet one of those rare “Teutons” (I like to say “krauts”, this is my old somtimes very strange sarcasm.)
We were talking about “krauts, tommies, limeys, yankees, gringos” here some time ago.

But what joke were you talking about?
I would like to know!

Enjoy the Sunday and stay here at our exquisite forum.

A clincking PROSIT from the Oktoberfest here in München.
An old man as I will not go there!

Franz

1 Like

ROFLcopter bro! Serious?! :+1: :sweat_smile:

As @stefanhahn80 said … it’s a joke, but thought would be international and the americans, except trump, would check it :wink:

But i assume it’s a joke to the joke … your name isn’t wayne and you do not work on trains … do you?!

Preliminary result of the survey by the way:

1 Like

My name is actually Wayne & I work on Siemens Zug

Unfortunately I don’t speak German but a lot of the documentation & software is in German

2 Likes

Well submitted my findings and a couple of sketches alongside a few names I think they need to liaise with on their issues, as the members have been more vocal with issues they have been having around range (mine could be better but is stable at the moment)…let’s see where this goes…

3 Likes

Moin aus Kiel!
Our Oktoberfest will only last one evening but I am looking forward to wearing my Lederhosen!

About the joke: If some tells you something you really don’t care about, you say: “Kennst du Wayne? Wayne interessiert das?” Get it?

2 Likes

Servus “Kieler Sprotte”!

I got the joke, but no one will understand here.

Because people in “Schleswig Holstein” dont have so much time as we here in “Bayern” 1 day Oktoberfest is enough for you up in the North! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Close :wink:

“Wayne” sounds like the german “Wen” (Who)

So if you say:
“Wayne?!” or “Wayne interessiert das?!” … it means like: “Who cares?!” :smile:

I thought the illustration would make it quite clear :wink:

10599445_889740914372109_7501491418129119841_n-300x126

“Take your story, put it on the wayne train and get it to the whateverrest mountain, maybe someone there cares about!” :rofl:

So at the end it means like:

Hey eufy, who the fuck cares about the WiFi Option of the homebase and your “survey” email you sent to some users several month after the promised eufy cam range extender should have been releases?! We want the RANGE EXTENDER (Hardware) and not discuss or talk any wifi feature of the homebase which will not solve the problems/range issues at all!

1 Like

Responded to the ‘invitation’

Closest & farthest cameras have 3 bars (farthest cam flicks into 4th bar)
Theres another 3 bar cam & a 2 bar cam

My cams are 4.5m, 15m, 15m & 35m

If I could move the homebase closer to the 2 bar cam I would but due to powers outlets I’m limited to where I can put it, I can obviously put it a lot closer but then it blocks the garage cam

2 Likes

Telling and explaing since 10 months(!) - over and over again

Only showing ONE eufy cam of plenty cams i got. 12(!!!) meters max range. Most cams i can’t use currently as the range is not enough at all to get them connected! I already moved the Homebase to the most possible position without moving it OUTSIDE the flat, where the homebase does NOT BELONGS TOO! Only … ONLY … O N L Y (!) a hardware range extender will solve this issue!

• I will NOT move the homebase outside of my flat to get several cams online!
  • I will NOT connect the Homebase by WLAN instead of LAN and even increase lags and issues!

My house stand in a big city, downtown. Nobody says it won’t work perfectly in a landside scenario with 10 people and houses per squarekilometer! But most people live in citys. And the range of eufy cam in cities sucks like hell. Fact since day 1!

I repeat:

Only … ONLY … O N L Y (!) a hardware range extender will solve this issue! Bring it on anker, eufy or whoever! #realizethepromise

1 Like

@Haloweenhamster @yamyam Have you had any further updates via PM?

1 Like

Yeah today, responded with my homebase an, Kickstarter backer no. & address

1 Like

Yes, but i don’t get how this should solve the range issue?!

Adding another homebase just means:

• Double power consumption (while a small hardware range extender / signal forwarder would use less power)
  • Two Homebases added in the app, which means not all cams at one overview. Except it would be possible that both homebase would have the same “internal ID” and the second one would just “forward” the signals to the first, main homebase, where everything is handled, managed and recorded.
  • Two Homebases means also two SD-cards and another costs, as i changed the standard SD-card which is delivered with the homebase and ordered an expensive high quality “Extreme Pro V30 Class ” SD-card (see Error message: microSD card is not working )
  • Two Homebases still means that i compulsorily have to add/connect one of them by WiFi as it will compulsorily have to be OUTSIDE of my flat to extend the range and reach the farest cams. This means more lags, more problems and a security issue as the homebase and SD-card will be accessable(!) if someone sees/detects it. A hardware range extender would be much more safe as it just would forward the signal. If it would be stolen or damaged, the data and sd-card would be still safe!

But i will give it a try, maybe it will be possible to use and configure a 2nd homebase as “pure signal forwarder” ?! So only the signal is forwarded and Homebase 1 is recording all stuff?! Then the homebase 2 still could be stolen or damaged or whatever, as outside of the flat, hidden somewhere, but the data would be still safe in this case!

Maybe @AnkerOfficial has an idea with this 2nd homebase i do not see or get yet?

Anyway … developing and selling a little small hardware range extender would solve the range issue muchg better, faster, simpler and at least for much more people, which are not as active in the community as @Haloweenhamster and me and do not complain about the range here. Know what i mean?

I still can’t get in my head/brain that a company like anker isn’t able and skilled enough to release a signal forwarding range extender like thousands other companies are doing since decades. At the end it’s nothing more than a simple “wifi extender” which are aviable at the market in abundance.

1 Like

Similar points to which I made on response…as my signal is present, just weaker than I like, I declined the Homebase but asked to be put on the list for testing a range extender should one ever become a testing reality…

2 Likes

I just thought it’d be nice to have an unmodified one as well as my modified one

I know it’s not the best but at least it’ll lower the loading time & increase the stability of 2 of my cams

It’s a better option than modding another camera

Currently looking at getting a mesh network (just trying to decide which is best to get / best value for money) which I can imagine will affect the camera signal as there will be more access points, so having better camera signal beforehand would make me happier

1 Like

I’m going to respond to survey today. This may be a solution? Don’t know yet.
I’m but worried about the lag due to wireless compare to hard wired.
What you guys think?

1 Like

What lag are you talking about?

The base communicates with the cameras using their own frequencies. That has nothing to do with wifi.

You have got the option though to connect the base to your network using ethernet or wifi. But again, that has nothing to do with the connection between base and camera. (That is probably the issue with constructing a range extender as well, as it is not just like a wifi repeater.)

Are you watching your camera’s live stream? Are you watching all the streams at the same time? Is your wifi that bad that it can not deal with a simple video stream? We are not talking 4K here, are we?

1 Like

May want to look at how it works, it does use WiFi, mine is on channel 11
Yes it does use 900-925MHz but not for video, only to wake the cameras & for the sensors

PS @AnkerOfficial the Mac address on the bottom of the base is different to the ones that I can see by the connections

2 Likes

Ok, maybe I got that part wrong. The rest still applies though…

In my opinion changing from ethernet to wifi won’t change much, if you are just watching one stream at a time.

Before anyone gets me wrong: I also got massive range issues with the eufy cams and I am totally not happy with this problem. It really seems that one normal (German built, not cardboard US) wall just stops the communication… If the base and the cameras can’t see each other (like no objects inbetween them), range drops down to 5 Meters.

I just don’t think that connecting the base to your network using wifi is the issue here…

1 Like

That was the question I had… I believe there will be lag in connection and data transmission, response when connected via WIFI compared to Ethernet. I agree, we are not talking HUGE data transfer but the speed and response time does matter here…

as of now, it already takes a few seconds when you live stream, open the app or view the events etc., is it going to be worse than what we have or better than that?

I will switch it to complete WIFI mode and do the test… unfortunately have no gadgets to test that :thinking:

1 Like