Would you allow an Amazon delivery driver into your house...When you’re not there?

Been browsing the technology sites this morning and came across something that made me do a double take or question if it’s April 1st. Amazon is in the process of rolling out a new service, for prime members, that would allow the delivery driver access to your house to deliver the parcel…when your not there :open_mouth: More can be read here;

I often make use of the Amazon lockers (one of their better ideas) for convenience when at work but I wouldn’t in a month of Sunday’s allow a stranger access to my house without being present at the time.

What you community members think, good idea that you would make use of or would you find it creepy and completely unappealing?

3 Likes

Most definitely not!! I am trying to win a Ring Video Doorbell so I can tell Delivery people where to leave the parcels but our Postie is pretty good to be fair.

1 Like

I probably would if I had a problem where I live with packages being stolen, thankfully I don’t!

2 Likes

It is a very interesting concept. They will also test a feature where they can drop it off inside the trunk of your car…

This is something I would need to see tested…good thing seattle always gets the first dose of test. Lets see how it pans out.

Right now they ring the doorbell, drop the package and walk away at about 7:30 AM
I could see them ring the doorbell, get no answer and then enter the house, at the same time my wife getting the crap scared out of her as she walks out of the bathroom

4 Likes

I wouldn’t let them in the house, but I have often thought of making my own “locker” with some sort of combination lock. That way I could change it regularly and simply give the driver the code to leave the parcel in.

3 Likes

I would be cognizant of what access I would allow the driver and ensure properly placement and functionality. Using AirBnB quite often, many houses already have key pad door locks which eliminate the need for a key. I would probably install the Amazon system to only allow entry into a garage or side side/backyard portion of the house. I doubt I would ever allow a delivery driver access into my actual house. I lived in one house that had a hallway between a locked gate and front door, so that would be an ideal situation for a service like this.

For those with a garage, would you allow access into the garage?

Walmart has something crazy going on too…

Walmart Fridge Stocking Service

Personally, I wouldn’t. Someone with better skills than I possess will figure out a way to hack into those sooner or later. I’ve used the Amazon Lockers in the past and would love to see them expand those. There are a good number of Locker locations here in San Diego, but they’re limited to 3 regions around town (downtown and around the two state universities). I’d rather just go a little out of my way to use a locker than go with the Key.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea since there is a camera recording what they actually do, so you would be able to see if they started roaming your house. Then again, I also have a security alarm that would go off if they ventured too far into the house. :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t think it is a good idea. What I suggest Amazon should do is allowing customer to direct drivers to another close alternative delivery spot.

1 Like

Just had a thought. Prime membership has increased in price drastically the last few years.
What would be very nice is if they give/sell cheap/rent a “home Amazon locker” for prime members. Leave it outside and simply chain it/lock it to something so noone walks FF with it.

2 Likes

No. Most people that live in my neck of the woods will not either. I would imagine lots of delivery people greeted by the business end of a Remington or Mossberg. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I would not allow a delivery driver in my house. Where I live we have different drivers all the time which would mean different people knowin and seeing all the things I have inside. While they may not try anything while working doesn’t mean they won’t later on or coordinate with someone else to do something.
As far as having a locker at home chained up, simple bolt cutters can take care of that so I wouldn’t trust it.

2 Likes

Now that would be cool, same with @NTran idea of being able to direct the driver to an alternate location. Never understood why your not able to give an alternate address or locker on delivery day, if you are aware your gonna be away unexpectedly.

1 Like

Count me out. No way would I just let them enter my home without me being there…and especially in this day and age. I’d rather just go the Amazon box route if I’m not going to be home. Besides that, I wouldn’t want to be sued by them if my 13 year old, deaf, and somewhat hard of hearing Chihuahua trips him/her as he/she enters my apartment. We actually have a sign on our door that says, “Please don’t trip over the guard dog.” :stuck_out_tongue: Our chihuahua, Mac is more of a pet rock then a guard dog :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

2 Likes

My family is so close with the UPS people here that I would, their the only reason why we get our packages on time (if they come ups) cause the USPS takes so long and we barely receive our parcels on time.

Daygo!!! I went to UCSD

Mac fits him though. Throwing that mac to the other chihuahuas :joy:

A friend of mine had her pug scared when the delivery driver opened the back porch to put her package inside the breezeway. He was so startled he ran right at the guy in a panic and scared him. The driver and pug ended up falling down the few stairs that were there. He just laughed it off and put the dog back inside and left her a note to check her security camera for a good laugh.