Would anyone here consider switching to a phone like this?

I want to know what all of you think of a phone like this? Ignore the price and just focus on why it was built and if any of you would use one permanently :grin:

3 Likes

Seen this a few times on the tech pages but at that cost certainly not. For the cutdown features you have compared to a ā€˜averageā€™ smartphone on the market these days, I would rather return to a trusty Nokia 3310 at Ā£49, calls, phonebook, messages, calculator & a jack portā€¦simples :smile:

6 Likes

I would definitely consider it. Based on how much I use my smartphone, it would definitely be beneficial to ā€œgo back to the basics.ā€ Getting away from social media would definitely be good for everyone, and would force us all to interact more. Also, this phone looks really cool.

However, I wouldnā€™t want to use one permanently. As newer and better technology comes along, and older standards (some of which may even seem futuristic today) become outdated, this phone would become completely obsolete. (no call, text, directions, etc.) It might be fun for a few years, but after that, newer models of this phone would most likely exist. After that time, if I still really liked this phone, I would most likely upgrade to the newer model(s).

-PaperAirplaneGuru

2 Likes

I have beta sampled the first light phoneā€¦what a waste that was. This one is suppose to be better but Iā€™m still not sold on it. Iā€™m with @ndalby Iā€™d rather use an old flip phone or Nokia. But yes smartphones have ruined social human interactions and Iā€™m guilty of it and my wife hates it.

3 Likes

Aaahhh the ol trusty Nokia 3300 series. I used to sale those 3390 gsm that used to be pacific bell then Cingular and now itā€™s at&t.

2 Likes

Very true there are far superior ā€œdumbā€ phones out there. The size of the light and its basic functions are pretty neat, I would say this would best be a phone if you travel a lot and want something to just be able to check in once in a while. That battery life is great given its size.

1 Like

Id gladly take that sample if you still have it :joy: I want to test the Light 2 the added text feature makes it slighlty more attractive to me.

1 Like

Sadly we had to return them after we tested themā€¦we did get a 200 dollar Amazon gift card to make up for it though, so that was worth it to me

1 Like

How is this different from a SmartWatch?

If I am in ā€œunpluggedā€ mode where I am reactive, not proactive but still to receive calls and messages, and yes call an Uber, I have that now in my watch. Has a SIM card.

Battery life sucks, a few hours.

I still have a working Nokia 2006 phone which shows simple elegance of something very small which is for just talking and messaging. Back then it was advanced, enough, sufficient, and was in your pocket the whole time while you looked real people in their face.

Battery life of a week then.

2 Likes

Oh heck yeah :wink:

1 Like

Have you tried a smartwatch? It is a ā€œrespondā€ device. No typing really. I spend a lot of time just moving and just glancing. If important, then get the phone out.

1 Like

When it comes to messaging on the watch whatever brand you have, how difficult is that as opposed to the Light 2? I totally agree with everyone there are far superior options out there but the main reason I posted was to see who here would ditch those smartphones for something like the Light 2 or an old school Nokia where all your communication is voice or SMS.

Sorry, do not know the Light 2 at all well. That minimalist Android phone for $89 I do know lasts 2 days and carry a spare battery to get to 4 days, carry a Powercore to get to a week. The smartwatch for $169 I do know, they are your reactive devices to answer calls and reply to messages but tiny screen useless for much else.

I still kept working a 2012 phone for the minimalist moments. Screwdrivers, youtube guides, ebay.

1 Like

I would buy this phone to distract me from being online all day

2 Likes

This is exactly why it was made to get people away from their smartphones or ween them off over a period of time. I like the concept as I do admit I am always on my phone, mainly learning new things. I do not do any social media besides Anker :grin:

Having g gone through the dumb to smartphone progression, until Nokia got left behind, then I got the 3gs and pretty much been Samsung since. A couple Sonyā€™s now n again!

Yes, I have the super dooper S8 now, but Iā€™d go for a dumber phone, so long g as it had a decent camera.

I donā€™t care if it went back to 3.5/3g (which I still think was a more stable network, even if not that quick). I could still FB back then, n Google as needed, I had a decent calander n email package, the music function seems better (although headphone have really.imoroved sound) although I donā€™t use so.mich now (Iā€™m not living alone now),.

I just couldnā€™t cope with not being g able to take picsā€¦ Cameras have really improved. Take this picture taken tonight inside with side lamp n TV as.only light.source.

Now with powerbanks, getting a day or three from your phone is not a serious issue (I had a ā€œsmartphoneā€ Moto A100 (I think) in 2002. It was a brick and came with a spare battery. Would never go all day (even with both batteries) as always searching for a THREE signal (even in the center of some major British cities) which is why my.contract last just 3 Ā½ months (got CEO to cancel the contract). Even tried a strange pear shaped.nokia, but nothing was reliable.

So I couldnā€™t cope with a dumb phone now, unless it had ā€¦ Decent screen, decent ringtone volume, calander n email, obvs ring n text, and a decent camera! Oh bollox, I want a smartphone still! lol

1 Like

Your cat looks annoyed by having his photo taken :joy:

After having a ā€œsmartphone,ā€ I donā€™t know if I could go back to a ā€œbasicā€ phone. But I do like the thought of a flip phone though. I use to have one, back in the dayā€¦damn, makes me sound old. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: But for the price of the Light Phone 2, Iā€™d rather just get an old phone like the Nokia 3310. In fact, it was my first official phone back when AT&T was Cingular. Iā€™d say, if you want to go basicā€¦ just get a cheap flip phone.

1 Like

Motorola v60 one of the best flip phones ever made

1 Like

Just seen this on unbox therapy too. Kinda like the idea of it. I do think it would help me keep on task as I am
Always looking at my phone. I definitely have issues lol

1 Like