Would anyone here consider switching to a phone like this?

Indeed, a smartphone does sometimes become a distraction especially on downtime.

1 Like

3 Likes

I blame Apple and Anker for keeping our batteries going :joy:

4 Likes

Word, that’s exactly how it was here at the airport last night when the flight was cancelled

2 Likes

I probably travel more than you over the year.

Top items:

• a phone / tablet with 64GB+ storage
  • Anker Soundbuds Life
  • Anker Powercore 10000
  • pillow
  • Buff

Good luck tonight and with your NC explorations.

1 Like

I don’t know if I could go back to a “dumb phone” either. I mean, while you’re waiting in line (or at a doctor’s office, etc), what else is there to do? :joy:

4 Likes

I’m not sure I want to

1 Like

Robots… :smirk:

Worry about why you have to be there in the first place? :joy:

3 Likes

Aren’t there experiments to implant a phone in the palm of the hand?
Before acquiring a new phone we should wait if this attempt will be successful :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

I would personally prefer that. Setting aside the Black Mirror series which warns of such technology. My ideal is we bypass the muscular needs of having to send neural signals to muscles to make noise and bypass the process or transforming sound into neural signals, and simple think and it be transmitted. In the same way we can think of speaking and not speak and think of moving and not move, I’m sure there is a point in the brain which is downstream of only intended to “speak” which is upstream of physically speaking. I imagine I can think I want an Uber and one appears, robotic self driven, I think I want some food and it appears via a food delivery, think about work and a memo appears in the consciousness of a colleague.

I am close to that already and I like it. I use a smartwatch, Android Wear (now known as Wear OS) on an LG Watch Urbane 2.

I use it in a cheaper mode of operation than it is capable of. If you buy a watch as part of a phone plan you pay about $10/month for the added SIM card, it shares the one phone number and when you’re distant from the phone when someone rings your phone your watch rings. You can BT pair the watch and then you’re very nearly phone-less but can receive calls and filter notifications.

I use Google Voice and PAYG Truphone SIM which gives me a free for incoming calls number, and when I am deciding to leave my phone behind I point my GV number to the Truphone number and then when someone rings me it goes to my watch. I pair the watch with Anker buds (if out and about for short time usually the Slim+)

This is not intended to be checking and web connection, the interface is too small and basic, but it is good for filtering notifications and receiving calls and the odd reply via a small on-screen keyboard.

Android Pay (now called Google Pay) off a watch is very convenient especially if you’re a fast moving outdoors type, because waterproof and do not need to grab a phone or wallet, just hold wrist to til

Around here Trader Joes, Safeway, Whole Foods accept this form of payment.

In UK I found this form of payment far more prevalent, in fact everywhere took it as in UK it is called “contactless pay”, using the same technology as the popular local credit/debit cards

2 Likes

Maybe, I would try it out. Wouldn’t get rid of my current one until I take the time to try this one.

1 Like

Id rather not :joy:

I would be very confused when looking at such a "watch":drooling_face:
I prefer my old OMEGA SEAMASTER 300 from 1960.
No battery, no charger, no power bank needed!

AUTOMATIC :grin:

3 Likes

Same here, with my citizen ecopower divers watch.
Citizen do do a watch that gets notifications and part of the ecopower system, so no need to charge etc.

2 Likes

I know this type of watch as well.
The OMEGA is to valuable to use it everyday.
One of my watches for daily use is a SEIKO 5.
This watch is unbelievable durable.

2 Likes

Wow you own nice watches. The Seiko 5 has to be my favorite design watch in my opinion. I everyday a Casio F91W as its super cheap if it ever needs replacing. :joy:

What a tight arse! OMG lol
That’s the watch I wore when I was twelve, I swear it is! Hehehehe

I used to buy dirt cheap watches, on the basis, it costs ÂŁ5 to get a new battery fitted. I then figured why spend that every year, when I could spend a bit more n it last longer.

Only reason I have this citizen is due to Argos returns. Buy a watch return it when have an extra ÂŁ20 and keep upgrading until I got the citizen divers. lol

1 Like

4 Likes

And im the tight arse? :joy: Hey I grew up with the if it aint broke dont fix it mentality. I have had this watch since I was 12 actually :scream: 26 now and only 2 free battery replacements later it still keeps kicking.

1 Like