Welcome to Charging Royalty | Special Edition 24K Gold PowerLine+ III USB-C to Lightning Cable Now Available!

Thought you already had one?

It would be a mistake to make a large device portless, but I see it being USB-C. Baffles me Crapple bundle a weak charger.

1 Like

That would make an epic unboxing video. It appears to come in a nice leather box.

2 Likes

This cable looks sweeeeet. I do agree with the professor about it soon being obsolete and I’d much rather have a usb-c to usb-c

2 Likes

Another!

I paid…
image image

2 Likes

I am not sure I understand the question.

Been charging my previous iphone 8 completely on wireless for last 1 year, but still had the cable and powerbank for backup.

Going completely wireless, port-less, I will start testing the Anker Wireless stand with PowerCore essential 20000 PD one of these days or may be get a Powercore 10000 Wireless powerbank (or similar)

1 Like

Huh? How would that be wireless?

That is my backup (option 1) if the phone drains of battery juice… Mostly will go for Anker Wireless powerbank (option 2… with a good deal)

With complete work from home, phone now sits on Anker stand and charges as if sitting at a beach sipping coconut water…

1 Like

Agree wireless is good enough to not need wired, but exposes Anker for lack of good portable wireless chargers, I think one built into a speaker , a better Type C in+out 10A 18W and a 10W 20A 30W are viable and required to not lose customers (to Aukey, Ravpower).

May be make this idea into Wakey 2 or Motion++ :wink:

1 Like

That wouldn’t be an option, though!

I don’t know why we need to get rid of the port.

I fully agree with @Insider. @Shenoy you can go full wireless even if the port still exists.

Me and @Insider can use the Lightning (USB-C) port for charging if we need it.

Everyone wins

1 Like

I think Apple will release a portless iphone purely for bragging rights and some will buy it. There is no need to remove the port, but there was no need to remove Audio port and yet it happened. Once BT buds got good enough, it was the excuse to ditch 3.5mm port, and wireless is almost good enough (need wireless portable chargers to exist) to ditch charging port.

Logic can predict it will happen, but not the date. May be next year.

Graphene cells from Samsung will help propel both wireless in smaller phones and USB-PD 60W in larger phones. It has slipped due to Covid-19 but is viable still for 2020.

3 Likes

I like the design on this one :+1:

3 Likes

The fact that Apple drop their earphones was annoying for the longest time but now I have a bluetooth earphone/headphone arsenal so I don’t mind it as much. I also got 2 of the Lightning earphones tho so they will be useless if apple does go portless (not that I’m against it)

So they dropped audio socket too early?

They can drop the charging port too early also, it requires at least two OEMs to make decent 10Ah and 20Ah wireless portable chargers. Anker hasn’t got any, their 10Ah one was embarressingly under-engineered and 20Ah not announced.

But for sure, anyone spending a lot on Lightning kit today will be angry within a year, no need for long-living expensive Lightning cables in 2020.

3 Likes

iPhone going portless may have some benefits for Water and dust proof improvements. Other not so visible benefits would be a pressure on Apple as well as other phone makers such as Samsung, LG and more to improve Battery capacity (similar to what @professor mentioned above for Graphene cells), wireless charging improvements, wireless data transfer and more.

Overall a push for competition to provide better portless phones, move away from wired charging.

1 Like

Portless benefits:

• improved water and dust protection
  • cost savings
  • either phone small or bigger battery
  • smaller bezels “chinless”

Portless losses

• slower charging (which you’d likely not notice nor care in a smaller phone)
  • anger in owners “you’re making me buy wireless and all my Lightning cables useless”

I count 4 pro 2 con. So I see it in just one model to give choice and time to adapt.

2 Likes

Portless Pros

• Improved water/dust resistance
  • smaller phone or bigger battery
  • smaller bezels / chinless

Portless cons

• slower charging
  • increased price (Apple will upcharge for a decent wireless charger, especially since it will have data transfer features)
  • presumable worse days transfer speeds
  • presumable fasted battery degradation due to heat from wireless charging
  • angering owners of lightning accessories
  • forcing users into wireless buds (and most likely no longer including free buds)
  • issues caused by wireless charging battery packs (in a sense lower capacity because of a higher inefficiency)

I count 3 pro 7 con

1 Like

That’s why it isn’t all models at once. So you can decide. It makes most sense in the smaller models, chinless allows bigger screen.

Heat will require technology answer, it is solvable:

• heat pump
  • more metal (conduct to the edge)
  • thermal throttling, if does get too hot then slow something.
  • fan cooled wireless charger

Someone will buy it, bragging right, you’d see:

• a glass back
  • metal outer edge
  • the entire front is screen

If you didnt like it, buy the other model.

Same charger for buds, watch, phone. Charger can use on larger devices which have wired+wireless, you’d see wireless input and output on your iPad. Your new iPad is your new iPhone SE charger.
Cant predict dates but seeing as 2020 ipad + iphone out, it becomes probably 2021.

Possibly November - the iPhone SE Pro with a much better screen and bigger battery for the same price. That’s then only 1 of 4 phones, so alienation won’t happen.

1 Like