Thoughts on new iPhone coming out?

Karapax to the test

1 Like

I love both the videos of jerrryrigeverything and the validity of his argument. You cannot form a robust defensible view from a few anecdotes.

Obviously any case adds some protection vs no case. But which case is best?

What I do:

• I have 2 phones, my ā€œflagshipā€ and my ā€œbeaterā€ phone, they are different age, different cost.
  • I keep my ā€œflagshipā€ phone in a minimalist case to handle low height scuff type drops.
  • if I am entering a situation where accidents are more likely I use my ā€œbeaterā€ phone.
  • if I am leaving home for a long trip (weeks) then go with both phones.

The argument to buy a specific flagship phone and worry about its aesthetics in buying one based on thin-ness, light-ness, and then hide in a thick case is dubious. In your hand you can buy a different older phone no case which is smaller. The whole argument of cases is a weakened when it comes to flagships.

My anecdotes:

• I kept all my phones in cases
  • owned so far 6 phones in 5 years (note: the primary / secondary phone idea)
  • never broken any phone ever

Other members of my family have broken their phones, I then give them one of mine and I get a new one. Seems to be cheapest overall. I also repair phones, and when I decide which phone to buy, I seek teardown reviews from Jerry (and others) given at some point I would probably be repairing such a phone myself.

I yesterday replaced the battery on a 4 year old designed tablet I got 2 years ago for $89. The replacement battery cost me $10. I used Jerryā€™s teardown video to learn how to replace the battery. So a tablet cost $229 4 years ago, I paid $89 new 2 years ago is now ā€œas newā€ for $10. That tablet is going to be my ā€œsacrificialā€ device to be exposed to risks on my next flight where idiot crew and idiot passengers ā€œdo your worseā€ to drown my $89 tablet in the coffee you spilt ā€œsorry it was an accidentā€ or the 400LB person who sits on something. My $400 phone is kept away from ā€œaccidentsā€.

2 Likes

That video was probably 4 minutes longer than it needed to be :laughing:

1 Like

Who preordered?!

Too rich for me. I just canā€™t justify the cost of upgrading when I have a perfectly working 6s.

1 Like

Too rich for my blood and with no Touch IDā€¦more than happy with my iPhone 7 128GB which my 6s paid for two thirds of :smile:

Just waiting for the headlines of Appleā€™s best ever sales for a product, stock completely gone (all 2-3 million they could make in time) :grin:

2 Likes

I have not found a deal in the US that allows trade in! How much did you pay after the trade in? Here itā€™s $549

Sold my 6s on eBay then bought the 7 on John Lewis (two years included warranty) :smile:

I caved and preordered the x. Iā€™ll get it on Friday. Now I just need KARAPAX to make a folio case.

I wont be getting either of the new iPhones! Iā€™ve got the 6s at the moment and its doing the job great! Donā€™t think either the 8 or X have any really exciting new features for me to upgrade to them!

1 Like

Iā€™m also apprehensive about having no Touch ID, but did pre-order the X. Will use it as my daily for a week and see how face ID fares against Touch ID for payments and such.

Iā€™m highly doubtful Iā€™ll lose any money using it for a week, given the 5-6week delay to get one here in the UK.

Apple do have a 14 day return policy (used myself in the past), so if it doesnā€™t workout just return for a refund :smile:

I wouldnā€™t return it I would sell it for twice as much on ebay because you know people will pay anything to hae apples newest and greatest

The going rate on eBay currently is +Ā£300 on top of retail for a 64gb in either colour. Would definitely still get my money back and sell the case Iā€™ve ordered to go with it.

Or be a good samaratin and take it back so someone can have a good day!

Ouch for those on the Three network who plumped for oneā€¦

Ouch indeed but then one born every minute. Hence Brexit.

When visiting UK I use Giffgaff, unlimited is Ā£20/month

Buy an unlocked global LTE OnePlus5 when visiting USA for Ā£364. Or almost any phone and youā€™re still cheaper.

Total cost over 2 years is Ā£844, or Ā£35/month.

Personally even though I have 10GB/month data plan in USA I average about 1.6GB as there is only such you need a phone for and so in UK the Ā£10/month is perfectly adequate which makes phone+network Ā£25/month.

I use about 10-12 gb of data a month, mostly using Spotify and Sirius while driving as well as Waze.
I have unlimited data but get throttled at 22gb. Iā€™ve never hit it but got warnings one month about getting close.

I ordered an iPhone X 256mb. Iā€™m on AT&T Next Every Year program where I pay 39 a month and get a new phone every year with trade in of old one. Basically itā€™s like renting the phone unless you choose not to upgrade every year and then you own it after 2 years. I usually skip the yearly (S) update but didnā€™t this year since it was a major model change to the X. I would sell my old device and apply towards a new one.

I also use my phone more now than I do a pc except for things like budget software and morning news reading.
I imagine eventually you will just dock to a docking station and the phone will replace your pc all together

Already done
Motorola tried this and failed, So far Samsung has done this right with the Dex dock and allows your phone to replace a pc

1 Like

A laptop shell that you slide in your phone as the brain would be awesome

Motorla also did this for a laptop and didnā€™t fair too well, I believe it was the atria phone they used.
Asus also did something similar with the padphone and converted it to a larger tablet

1 Like