[Review] Anker Powerline Lightning 0.9m after almost 2 year of use

My other reviews:
[Review] Anker 40W 5-Port (old version), Powerport+1, Powerline+ Lightning 0.9m & 0.3m

The recent changes in the Anker website has forced me to earn more PowerBuck to feed PowerDraw.

Today, I am going to give my impression of Anker Powerline Lightning 0.9m (PL) after almost 2 years of use. I think that giving opinion after using the product for a period of time will be able to show the actual usage and durability of the product, rather than reviewing right after it arrived.

The PL looks very nice at first, with the same feeling as the original iPhone cable. After one year of normal usage in the office, the outer cover of the cable started to feel a little bit sticky and the cover is peeled off a little bit at both end of the cable as well as along the cable. It showed the aluminum shield as well.

Therefore, I have to put electricity tape around the cable, then put hard rubber on the part that has outer cover peeled off on both end, put plastic cover on the cable then heat shrink tube on both end. The outcome can be seen from the pictures below.

Since then, the cable worked flawlessly, it’s still going strong and recognize iPhone instantly. After the experience with this cable, I have completely moved to using the Powerline+ cable which features braided fabric on top of the plastic cover. Therefore, even if the plastic one got mushy over time, the fabric will still hold everything together.

Pros:
Cheap
Worked great

Cons:
The cover is not really durable
The lightning connector end is a little bit bigger than the original iPhone cable (the same with all other Anker cable) which might be hard to use with some cheap cases.

Ofcourse you cannot recognize the cable anymore, therefore I’have attached anker page of the product with proof of purchase.

3 Likes

Love this! i have yet to find a decent 3rd party cable without paying the world for one. will definately look into this!!!

3 Likes

Could you tell me your price range?

1 Like

I can’t say i really had one in mind. I have seen ones from £11 upwards to over £30!!!
I think the one listed in the post above was very good and reasonable at ÂŁ6.99

1 Like

Nice post, I think as long as you use our products for a long time, you can write a more objective review!

1 Like

yeah the price is reasonable indeed, however, if you use it in hot and humid condition you should consider the braided one, PowerLine+ so you don’t have to deal with broken cover

1 Like

I thought so as well, because products tend to perform well at first. But in order to test their durability, only time will tell. I will also review other old products. because if old products are good, then next product can only get better.

2 Likes

Thats a nice modification, does it bend well or it stiff?

2 Likes

3 Likes

the cable can bend well, however, i secured both end off the soft part with hard rubber so it will not bend much. I used to use heat tube to cover all of the iPhone original cable, but it doesnt stick with the cover well enough.

2 Likes

nice job its a creative way to make the cable more durable.

1 Like

Hi, the cable is simply usable and I do want to continue using it for the next few years. I treated my cable with care, therefore the core is still intact, only the outer cover fall apart.

1 Like