Prime Day -- What did you buy?

I made a bootable 128GB Linux usb stick to reboot my work Windows laptop into Ubuntu 22.04. I never like one of anything. Bitlocker can hiccup too easily.

MS Office 365 (web) works in Windows, Linux Chrome, Linux Firefox, but not Android Chrome nor Android Firefox so if Windows has a hiccup I can get by with Linux.

I also swapped my travel “laptop” from Android to Chromebook

Chromebook is just Linux optimised for Chrome, runs Linux and Android.

2 Likes

I use Libreoffice the output can be stored with WIn-formats.
Works fine.
Otherwise you could use “wine”
(I don’t and never tried, as there is no need of any WIN-software for me)

ONCE LINUX; EVER LINUX!

Never forget : “Thou shalt have no other Gods before me” :grin:

That’s fine for personal non-work uses but not in a corporate cloud era context.

On my Chromebook I had Debian 11 and install LibreOffice, it does somethings better like create PDF.

But the BIGGER DISPLAY FOR THE CLOCK was such a nice surprise on the last update :joy:

I don’t understand most of these words. No wonder you identify as a geek, haha!

OK I’ll translate:

• you run Windows on an Intel laptop and so need lots of power, if a barrel connector you’ll need AC (alternating current) which would want a Powerhouse (now Solix F1200 F2000 etc), physically larger (an inverter for DC-AC-DC)
  • if you run Linux your power needs reduce, so less need for Powerhouse
  • if you use a Chromebook (based on Linux) then you can usually not need AC and so use DC (Powercore) which is physically smaller and lighter.
  • you can file convert between Windows and Linux formats. Microsoft Office formats convert with (free to download, free to use) opensource file formats, such as LibreOffice with ODF formats.

So I have a new Chromebook, charges off 30W USB-PD, so I don’t need a Powerhouse, it runs Linux, and I can do office.com web page access to work related files, download, then in Linux use local opensource apps. Outcome: I’m less tied by need access to lots of Wattage, more freedom, more life.

1 Like

I often forget that Windows has to be used on company devices.
Of course I am familiar with IOS and MS (used it at the TUM)
But now: lucky pensioner I am there is NO more need. :grin:

2 Likes

Microsoft Windows & Microsoft Office (either local install or M365) still rules the business world. Linux & containerization is becoming more prevalent, but is still dominated by MS.

I’m curious to see what Google Gsuite (whatever it is called now) will be like in 10 years. Kids are growing up using chromebooks; I wonder what it is going to translate to in the future.

1 Like

I can tell you a true story :slight_smile:
Our city administrations here in München installed LINUX for all administration works
and didn’t use their MS-programs anymore.

Of course some problems first, but worked.
Libreoffice is like MS-Office and servers are of course usually LINUX-based.

But they got an offer from MS ( don’t know what they had been offered? :sunglasses:)
So we are back on MS again.
And of course some problems but now sponsored ones :grinning:

It gets even worse… MFA where you have to carry an encrypted Windows laptop on which you cannot install your preferred software, and an iPhone to authenticate login, similarly you can’t install your own apps (e.g. not Soundcore app) so you’re lugging two phones and a laptop. Fortunately the laptop bootloader not locked so it’s now dual-boot Linux.

I may retire again :wink:

1 Like

True, I know about these encrypted laptops given to employees.
At the university we could install what ever we wanted to install and to test it.

Free science as it should be usually. :grin:

I bought a pair of Liberty 4 earbuds as a replacement for Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds which were pretty rubbish for me. These Anker are just as good for noise cancelling and the sound output is nice. The app has lots of options to set up to your preferences. The price on prime Day was less than half of the price I paid for the Sony’s.

Prime day I didn’t really get a lot bought a micro SD card that I needed. But since it was close to my birthday I know some of my family picked up some of the Anker deals for the presents they got me. Ended up getting the ipad stand hub that Anker makes which I am excited to use

2 Likes

Interesting on the SOLIX … I wasn’t aware of changes to the product but you’re right. That BT is a nice upgrade, too. It’s been a frequent request from V1 owners. So yea, I’d be thinking same as you!

I’m a terrible admin. Happy birthday, @ktkundy. I’m so glad to share this earthly plane with you. Here’s to another magnificent trip around the sun! Stoked to stay in your orbit.

1 Like

That’s a nice score, @bob.hirons … you’ve had the Liberty 4 for a bit now. Still a fan?

I don’t know HOW YOU DO IT, Nigel. I kid … I know this must make you nuts! :blush::grinning:

Oh yea, sure. Thanks! I track this now. I don’t think {{at all}} about the power needs of my software, which won’t surprise you at all since you kindly explained this to me. I know it’s a factor, but I don’t consider it … my laptop use is basic: Glorified word processor, some very light design work in a cloud program, and spreadsheets.

I’d forgotten too how cool it was when the Chromebook released with Linux! That was pretty cool.

1 Like

ChromeOS is based on Linux so making it available to users wasn’t difficult.

The clever part was adding an Android emulator.

Most of what I need is native in Chrome, a basic Office equivalent exists, but somethings work best in Android (e.g. offline Netflix download) and somethings work best in Linux such as this week I needed to edit a PDF.

1 Like

Thats Windows!
You need more tricks, more programs creating instability and errors