PowerPort Atom III Slim (4Ports)

Good Evening,

PowerPort Atom III Slim (Four Ports)
Anker 65W 4 Port PIQ 3.0 & GaN Fast Charger Adapter, PowerPort Atom III Slim Wall Charger with a 45W USB C Port, for MacBook, USB C Laptops, iPad Pro, iPhone, Galaxy, Pixel and More

I received my PowerPort Atom III charger on 10/13. Well my A ports have stopped working.:weary:. I checked all three with different usb cords and none of them work. I had my Apple Watch, iPad 7th Gen, and my Apple Airpods plugged in and my phone was on the fast charge port…

1 Like

Small chance it auto protected itself if overloaded.

Unplug everything, remove all power. Wait a few minutes. Try again plugging in the iPad last.

Also, the Anker product names are largely meaningless now, there’s different Atom III, I have no idea what product you actually mean, quote product code or link to product.

So I’m guessing you had 3 A ports, implies.thr vague Atom III you mean is the Slim version. I see you mention an iPad well it’s quite power hungry so it plus the others may have maxed out the Wattage for those ports.

If after trying that, doesn’t fix then email support@anker.com quoting order details and quote you tried the above.

4 Likes

I would do as @professor proposed and if there is no success
you have to contact the support.

2 Likes

Professor,
I have the PowePort Atom III Slim, 4 Ports. I’ll try your method and see what happens.

The Chiq!!:two_hearts:

That worked @professor. Now how often will it do that?? :weary:

1 Like

Good to know.

So it will do it every time you recreate the overload.

So think about your devices…

You bought this

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Adapter-PowerPort-MacBook/dp/B07ZCGYP27

Which has these maximums

The iPad is probably the primary culprit, does anyone know the maximum it can draw? I’m seeing mention it has been measured taking 15W?

The Slim III says "USB-A Port: 5V ⎓ 4A(2.4A Max Per Port) "

So what may be happening is the iPad was takine 2.4x5 = 12W leaving 8W budget remaining, then your other devices took more than 8W and so self-protect kicked in.

Can’t the iPad connect to the USB-C 45W at all? 45W is a lot more than 20W so less of a risk, but would it tecnhically work?

I’m afraid I seek out leading technology, so don’t how anything Apple

Also, if this is your situation, you bought this to connect these devices, then it’s likely the wrong product so consider keeping all the packaging safely neat and be ready for a swift return and refund as may be bad fit. This is no criticism of Anker, their good support and returns is one of the reasons we buy them and recommend them as it’s a zoo of products and device combinations.

Someone else would help us out who knows the iPad 7th gen, what is the maximum and support.

2 Likes

Always good to have some fitting :rofl:old spare parts at home!

essen-ohne-kochen

1 Like

@professor, do you think the updated PowerPort III w/4 ports 2A and 2C will work better? That is the one you mention before when I was trying to determine which one to buy but it wasn’t on sale. As for the 7th generation iPad, IDK if anything is going to work with it.:weary:. Could I use it in the second C port along with the iPhone? Or do I have the ports backwards…:roll_eyes::weary:

OMG @Chiquinho such a :sauropod:. Do really think we could get some useful parts out of it?!?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Well let’s not put you through more purchase / test / return effort, let’s try to figure this one out first.

Question 1

• what the maximum draw your ipad can pull? Not the same as the charger it’s sold with.
  • what is the maximum draw for the other 2 devices, Watch Airpods.

(we need to find something who’s maximum is at least the sum of these)

Question 2:

• does your ipad work with IQ3?

(cross fingers it’s a yes and then the iPad can move to IQ3 and free up USB-A budget for the other devices)

Potentially based on the answers the 63W may be better or worse than the 65W you have now or something else.

Also you said wall charger, you may want to edit to be the Atom III Slim 65W desk charger so help someone else who knows the answers. I think @TechnicallyWell may know more about the iPad you mention. I think he said the iPad you mention doesn’t like IQ3?

There is also a chance your cables are bad, a bad cable will take energy into the cable so the device has to pull more and so cause an overload. Consider if you can try different cables. Cables are a common cause of many issues. So what may be happening is a bit of both, the iPad is pulling a lot of Wattage and it’s cable or one of the other device cables are bad and so gets > 20W power budget.

Note my guess is actually written right there on the listing

2 Likes

Private property! :

Not for common use and testing!
:rofl:

This is really true, but its not often mentioned.

2 Likes

@professor, I edited my initial post and copy/paste the description from Anker for the charger. I just purchased the usb cords when I purchased the charger. One is an Anker PowerLine II USB C to A Lightening cable (I use this one for my phone). The other is an Anker Powerline II Lightening cable that I use with the iPad. The AirPods and Apple Watch, I use the cords that came with the devices. The power plug that came with iPad has 12W on it.

Thanks.

The ipad does come with 12W charger, but I was asking what the maximum it can pull? I’ve seen mention of 15W. If true then that’s very near 20W and likely the cause.

Cables to iPad and iPhone are Anker so very unlikely to be the culprit but worth testing with other cables.

What happens when you plug the iPAd into the USB-C port via the cable you use for iPhone? Does it not charge or charge and if the latter how well?

1 Like

I hope I’m answering this correctly. The iPad charges with the Anker USB C to A Lightening cord in the C port. I also tried it with AirPods cords since they’re basically the same (white cord) and it charges off that cord as well. Remember initially I had purchased two C to A Lightening, one for phone and iPad but had to send one back cuz the end was different and didn’t work with my iPad. Therefore I had to get a regular lightening cord. Hope this help.

Huh?

C to A Lightning doesn’t make sense. It’s either C to Lightning or A to Lightning.

The iPad doesn’t support C to Lightning? So you used A to Lightning? So how come you said you used in the C port?

Makes no sense.

2 Likes

I tested out my iPad Air 2 with a USB-C to Lightning cable connected to the Anker Nano 18W charger (which has a PowerIQ 3 symbol) and my USB-C tester shows that it outputs 5V 2A to the iPad. So a USB-C charger appears to work fine with the iPad, it just doesn’t provide a faster speed than a regular USB-A wall charger.

• Apple Watch: 5V 1A = 5 watts
  • iPad: 5V 2.4A = 12 watts (iPad Pro can pull 30 watts)
  • AirPods: 5V 1A = 5 watts

It looks like you exceeded the 20 watt maximum by a little bit. If you unplug either the Apple Watch or AirPods, you should be fine. Once the iPad hits 80%, I believe it draws around 5-10 watts, so you should then be able to charge all 3.

2 Likes

Sorry @professor, this is why I’m asking the smart people for help!!! :weary::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. My cable cord is usb c to lightening for the phone. I had purchased two. I had to send the second one back and get the regular A to lightening for the iPad.

@TechnicallyWell, so are you saying leave one of three unplugged from the A port permanently? Can the iPad utilize the C port with C to lightening cord and use the iPhone with the other two devices in the other three ports?

We’re asking you and you reply by asking us.

The USB-C to Lightning cable you have, when you use it with your iPad on this charger, it does not work?

If it works then the 12W is being taken out of the 45W budget and then the 3 USB-A ports have 20W budget left which should then do the lower Wattage Airpods / Watch.

It may not help much as then your iPhone will move from USB C - L to USB A - L and it peaks at 12W itself. But it’s less common a smaller device like an iPhone needs maximum Wattage, then a larger device will, so that might be best use of the 45W+20W budget.

It’s rare one person know everything, we each know something and piece it together. Your unique combination is likely you’re the first to try it. Then we all learn something we can use the next time same / similar get asks.

Where I’m ignorant is what the iPad will pull and what it works with, it requires you to find it out or someone here knows. I’m seeing you say C-L doesn’t work for iPad but A-L does work for iPad and Ryan says C-L does work for the Air 2 but only 12W. iPad is different to Air 2.