PowerPort Atom III Slim (4Ports)

I’m thinking of swap the iPad to the 45W USB-C port and the iPhone to the USB-A port as an iPhone will need 12W for less time than does an iPad ?

Requires the ideas to be tested by @mzlegz

2 Likes

If you have the iPad plugged in, try leaving the one USB-A port open so you don’t exceed 20 watts. If the iPad is above an 80% charge, I believe you’ll be fine to use all 3 ports at the same time.

Yes, the iPad should charge fine from the USB-C port with a USB-C to Lightning cable.

As far as I know, the iPad 7th gen shouldn’t pull more than 12 watts. I don’t believe it “fast charges” like the iPhone 8 and up can. From my testing, the USB-C Power Delivery/Power IQ port should fall back to 5 volts with a non-Pro iPad.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I thought / expected, IQ3 would default a legacy device like iPad to 5V 2.4A 12W , but @mzlegz wrote words of didn’t work, sent cable back so I’m seeing both and challenging both. Ultimately if tried and failed that is useful data.

Some forums have a rumour it pulled 5V 3A 15W but none of the Slim ports does that, the A ports are 5V 2.4A max per port and I’d expect IQ3 to be 5V 2A 10W or 5V 2.4A 12W.

@mzlegz what happens when your iPad uses the C-L cable to the 45W USB-C port on the far left socket of the Slim?

2 Likes

@professor and @TechnicallyWell, I know I’m confusing you guys with all this madness.:weary:. To be clear, my iPad does work with the C-L cord in the far left port ©. The reason I sent one cord back is because I didn’t know there was only one C port, therefore I had to purchase an A-L cord for the iPad. I’ve also tried charging the iPad in the C port with C-L and it works. The iPhone XR also works in A port with the A-L cord. Now when you’re asking me what the output is for the iPad, I don’t know, sorry. All I know is the charger that came with the iPad says 12W.:weary::weary:.

So gentlemen, what if I purchased the updated version of the PowerPort Atom III 63W 4Ports with two A ports and two C ports!?!?! Would that work better if the phone and iPad are plugged in the A-L?

Given what you own, least effort, just plug the iPad in the USB-C port and your iPhone, Watch, pods in the USB-A pods. I doubt it would cause any problems, if they do it’s rarer, as the iPhone is going to consume high Wattage for less time than an iPad.

Correct for you the Slim 63W would consume

• 1st port 18W of max 18W
  • 2nd port 15W of max 30W
  • 3rd port 5W of max 5W
  • 4th port 5W of max 5W
  • total 33W of 48W and 10W of 20W , and 43W of 63W, so never be in any overload.

But do not suggest you do the effort of return / buy as the first idea is probably going to work fine as it avoids you put all your flat devices on a shared 20W.

2 Likes