Plug or unplug a wall charger when not in use?

Should wall chargers be unplugged from power supply when not used.
Of course modern chargers (ANKER’s) are safe and will not overheat.
The cost of power consumption if no device is charged should be low.

5 Likes

Plug that’s what I do :ok_hand:

I use extension cables that are all individually switched, so I don’t have to worry about leaving anything plugged in :wink:

2 Likes

Those individual switched cables should used everywhere if possible.
There are many possibilities eg. master/slave ones.

2 Likes

Mine main ones stay plugged in. The extras or the chargers I keep in the rooms we dont use much stay unplugged when we remember to unplug.

It may not be much but over time keeping hem unplugged can save a few pennies.

2 Likes

Found this article online:

7 Likes

I was expecting these low costs.
But many chargers, or better many other stand-by devices would be more than a few cents.

1 Like

I tend to leave things plugged in. When I go on vacation for a few days or more, though, I’ll switch off or unplug all my power bars (easier to plug back in one plug). Maybe that’s more superstition than necessity haha.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that’s superstition only more a consideration of security! :wink:

When I go on vacations I plug off everything except the deepfrezer and the security equipments. :grin:

And of course the thermal solar system.
House empty, no need for hot water!
Why should I give burglars a chance to wash their hands with warm water. :joy:

3 Likes

I always leave them plugged in.?.?. I didn’t know there was potential for harm :flushed:

1 Like

At least us UK lot can just turn the switch off at the socket :joy:

4 Likes

Wall sockets?

2 Likes

Yup these things

3 Likes

Great!
Neanderthaler is learning a lot here! :wink:

Of course I dont have those here in the old house.
And I can not find these for DE- Schuko- systems.

3 Likes

I unplug ones I don’t use regularly. I like to save money and not waste resources whenever possible, however I am not going to inconvenience myself or put ware on outlets and adapters to plug and unplug something every-time its not being used.

1 Like

I like the UK sockets. Many years ago I visited the island. And saw these nice sockets. Some - or all ? - also have a separate fuse ! So when the connected device is faulty only this fuse blows - and the rest of the house is still “alive”

4 Likes

Agreed. It’s an awesome feature to have

1 Like

In UK they worked out that leaving a charger plugged in all the time, and for charging, costs something like… 90 pence per year, and that unplugging didn’t make much of a difference, maybe a saving of 20 pence per year.

Modern chargers, don’t really use electric when not being used and that anything made to measure the draw actually created a surge (by drawing electric to.measure it!). So long as your charger is approved for use, then it’s safe to leave plugged in, and was designed to be left plugged in ready for use. So.mich testing on stuff these days, not worth buying cheap un safety marked stuff.

Unplugged :grinning:

I generally leave mine plugged in but I use mainly surge protectors everywhere just to be safe.I’d hate to lose some of my higher end electronics.I’m guessing it’s not really costing much more then if I unplug plus it’s easy if I’m going away for a few days I just switch off the protector.