Plug or unplug a wall charger when not in use?

I generally leave my plugged. Only reason I would unplug them is if I’m going out of town for 2 weeks or so

I usually leave my chargers plugged in as well. I have a Kill A Watt tester and, similar to the article, found that most chargers only use about $0.20 or less per year.

1 Like

There soo good

1 Like

Your plug receptacle will fail much faster. May cost more to replace then savings :joy:

That’s 1 thing I miss from India. Wonder why here in US they just have plugs everywhere without those switches

1 Like

Also, I unplug my chargers every time it’s not in use it’s just a habit I have

1 Like

That’s my question as well

I used to unplug them when not in use a few years ago, but nowadays I leave them all in place ready to use when needed. Being in the UK I do have the option of the off switch though but rarely use that if I’m honest for charging items.

Won’t be worth your time

If you are that concerned about parasitic draw of static devices, they have switches and extension cords that are guaranteed to kill all power when switched off

I’ve heard that even when plugged in and not being used a charger still uses some electricity. It’s not much and won’t add up to much money each month so it’s not a big problem.

Seems to be very little to no draw of electricity but I leave mine plugged in to Smart WiFi sockets That I can turn On or Off with Alexa or via app :wink:

That’s an excellent explanation of the topic. I wonder if other, larger wattage devices draw power proportionally to their consumption. For example, a turned off PC?

Those old trafos (wired, winded ones)
were pulling a lot of power by getting warm when plugged id.

I don’t know how much is wasted by “stand by” devices, you mentioned a PC.

my 40" Samsung TV says that it consumes about $12 worth of electricity per year. I wouldn’t worry about the tiny chargers :grin:

But if you add millions of these consumers world wide?

I’m gonna be honest. I’m not really worried about running out of electricity. The world is developing tons of different types of renewable energy, so it simply not a concern. In 50 years we will only be using renewable energy. Not to mention, electronics are becoming more and more energy Efficient

What type of renewable energy do you prefer creating electricity?

If “Greens” are asked where does electricity comes from:
Simple answer : From the socket.

Not you Andrew, of course.

I’m not quite “a green” :joy:.

I think solar energy had a lot of potential, but the technology isn’t quite there. Plus it doesn’t work at night, or as well when it’s overcast.

Water wheels work very well, but there aren’t enough rivers in the world to supply enough power.

Windmills are very efficient if placed in the proper areas. But they take up a lot of space.

Those are the main renewable energy sources. Out of those, I think solar has the most potential, but anyone with a creek or river in there yard should invest in a water wheel.

I think what the future holds is a combination of many types of renewable energy.

I have a creek in my yard, and I am saving to have a waterwheel and a battery wall put in. Not only is it good for the environment, but it also saves money in the long run :wink:.

What’s your favorite?

Living it the middle of a city there are not so many possibilities.
The first thing I did 20 years ago I installed a thermal solar at the roof.
Then I changed the heating system from oil to natural gas.

Those windmills are fine if there is wind and those need not to be installed next door and those are not far far away from the consumer.

Those solar panels are fine if there is sun and those are not far far away from the consumer.

The most important thing which has not be solved yet:
How to store electrical energy efficient.

ANKER!

If they develop and construct such a battery we all will be saved for ever!