N+1 - calling anyone who can out-geek me step forwards

I have my custom P52 laptop I had built last year by Lenovo. Have a hex core hyper threaded I7, space for upgrading to 128gb of ram, and 8TB HDs (2-2tb m.2, 4tb 2.5”, and an open WWAN slot can add 1 more m.2). It also has a smart card reader, 4K touchscreen, fingerprint reader, Quadra graphics processor, and multiple Type C and 3.0 USB ports. Best part. It’s a normal looking 15.6” screen laptop weighing just over 5 lbs. Between that, my IPhone XS, and media server for all my TVs and devices to pull from. Don’t need anything more.

Non tech nerd side have a coral reef.

(For emergencies, do have power inverter, multiple backup batteries up to the big Anker 26k, bugout vehicle, and planning to buy a powerhouse soon.)

The one that’s in pieces, is one thar I’m currently modding. I didn’t have time to solve them. I have another 5x5 that’s in pieces that I forgot to include in the picture.

2 Likes

Looks like your whole household collection :joy:

Professor is minimalistic yet beats us with tech collection we’ll played sir

2 Likes

Prof

Here in UK, we don’t pay for our phones, they’re free with your contract. So YET AGAIN, I’ll remind.you, as for a clever bloke.youre obvs not getting it. My contract was £XX, and was due to go up. Realising this, and how.much per month renewing my contract would cost, I renewed my contract and despite it costing £xx now, it cost a few quid less than the auto increase would be, but I got a new phone.for FREE.

SO, stop going on about my bloody phone, which I paid zero for, and concentrate on the matter in hand. Then you’ll be happier than griping about my new phone, out of jealousy I’m.guessing?

That sounds unusual. How much did you pay? Here’s a quick example of why I tended to go with unlocked phones and not pay through the phone monthly contract. I just did a random check, so almost certainly not the best deal.

So in this example you’re paying 36x47.31= £1703.16. If instead you bought a phone outright and were on PAYG , say the £8 example, over 36 months the line costs 36x8=£288. Hence so long as the unlocked phone you bought cost less than £1415 you’re in pocket. The mentioned Huawei cost about £300, so that’s over £1000 less in total over 3 years.

So every time I checked its not “Free” you’re being screwed with the monthly contract over the minimum term, its a form of high-interest loan. I’m sure you got a better deal than this random example.

2 Likes

My bill is split in 2. Obviously a phone drops massively a month in, and a second drop, as soon as the next phone is released. That’s the same will all things.

1, is paying the phone, at 25.53 X 36 … 919.08
2, is the tariff, 22.19

If I want to pay the remainder of the phone off early, I can (if I could!).

A lot of companies, to give you a cheaper bill, charge you a big initial charge (very typical for iPhone contracts) and your bill isn’t separate, it’s one bill.

Yes, I know the phone isn’t free, free, but we just don’t have to buy upfront before getting it.

For some reason, contract tariffs in UK are poorer value compared to uncommitted PAYG.

My last contract was a combined contract, and went up every year, depending on the retail price index? Cos it was combined, I had to pay off the full amount by selling my old phone. The price increase was for the whole bill, whereas now, only the tariff will be affected in any price increases.

Here is a picture of one draw

Rest of the draws is cables and camera gear etc…
I sold all my spare phones since I didn’t use them and used the money to buy other products, only kept the iPhone 5c spare because it survived all the destruction tests :joy:
Also have an iPad which I don’t even use due to the desktop setup I built and in the bedroom I have a HP envy dv6 with few upgrades.

3 Likes

I guess no one likes my cubes :disappointed:

Like how clean your desk looks

2 Likes

We like your set of cubes there :innocent: it’s different, but we like it

1 Like

You or the opposite of @professor s organized way. :smiley:

1 Like

Nope you got me there

love you setup very clean

nice setup. I’ve got an old android tablet, iPad, 3 iphone (older models that still work) Note 8, Asus Transformer 10 inch notebook tablet, 15 work Notebook, ASUS ROG Gaming laptop, HP production desktop w/ dual monitors, about 15 different Anker products that I’ve collected over the last few years.

We agree you’re paying more money than you need to due to wanting to own a Samsung today.

You’re not getting, that I’m paying the same, even if I had my old Samsung.

The price of the handset is the same as if I’d bought direct from Samsung.

I cannot lose my number, as long as my cat lives

Molly here has a microchip, just incase she ever got loose. If I change my number, I can’t be called to say she’s been found.

To get free neutering and microchip, I had to sign up to a company, but I wasn’t allowed now or forever, to change my number.

The trouble with being on benefits/welfare is you don’t get good credit scores, even if you have no debt.

Many years ago, I had a number I’d managed to have for over 10+ years, but changing networks meant I lost it. They took so long to change me over, the PAC code ran out (only a 30 day life span to a PAC, at the end of which your old contract is cancelled n number deleted off the old system, and should be transferred to new system).

As I can’t go anywhere else, and I was faced with a year of paying the same as having a new phone… I thought I might as well have a new phone.

Gifgaff is a fantastic PAYG system (owned by O2 and I’m on O2) once this phone is paid for, I will stay with O2 but PAYG.

Trust me, when I say, I do my best to get as much value as I possible can in the circumstances.

So in-between, we treat ourselves if we can, we have probably 4 days out a year. We try to make what.little we have go as far as possible.

Why you’re so concerned over my financial state, I don’t know. Yes I may have mentioned it a few times in the 18+ months I’ve been on here, but you’ve mentioned it.more in the last week.

I don’t need a prof to tell me, I’m over paying for.my phone bill, but sometimes things are just what they are. We don’t all get the best every time, I’m sure you’ve over.paid for stuff or not gotten the best deal about.

I’d be a lot happier, if you’d drop this… Unless you’re going to do something … Other than keep going on about it

One of us is confused.

Why are you on contract rather than PAYG? From your numbers you are paying £1717.92 over 3 years. If you were to get a 2nd hand phone for say £100 and say a Giffgaff £8/month, you’d pay £388 over same period.

It seems as if you are hiding over £1400 of expense behind a contract. i get the fact you get a new Samsung phone but in your other posts you seem to be imply having to carefully budget. So I’m puzzled why you are paying £47.72/month when you could pay say £12/month, you like Samsung enough to pay £35/month more than say a 2nd hand phone on a low PAYG?

Molly here has a microchip, just incase she ever got loose. If I change my number, I can’t be called to say she’s been found.

Number porting is free.

The trouble with being on benefits/welfare is you don’t get good credit scores, even if you have no debt.

PAYG is lower cost, does not need credit check.

Because it is the internet. A logic flaw left unchecked can cause someone come here and fall for the same error.

Some are organized, some not.
But if it is fitting! :joy:

My old, lousy, comfort bed is waiting now and it fits!
Good night fellows…