iPhone 10 MAX and how many charges do you get?

Does anyone else use a PowerCore 26800 for their iPhone 10X MAX?

Hi @rickneigher I have the iPhone XS Max and the PowerCore+ 26800 but have never been in a situation where I charged the phone just from the portable battery. Hopefully someone here has an answer for you. I would like to know as well. On Amazon it says for an iPhone 6s can charge 9.5 times…

2 Likes

@rickneigher The iPhone XS Max has a 3174 mAh battery so with the PowerCore 26800 your looking at around 7-8 full charges depending on conditions.

5 Likes

Wow good to know.

1 Like

That’s actually not accurate at all.

(26800 x 3.7 / 5) x 0.85 / 3174 = 5.3
In theory, you would get a little more than 5 charges.

Explanation of the formula here https://techzillo.com/power-bank-recharges/

@rtena sorry to break it to you, but the moderator is correct.

The math is simple. 26,800 (battery pack mAh) divided by 3174 (iPhone mAh). The answer is 8.44

So I would round that off to 8 charges, which is closer to @ndalby answer than yours :grin:

Nope, your math is correct but concept is not.
mAh don’t show the whole picture. Do your math using Wh capacity.

iPhone xs max has a 3174 mAh battery with 3.8V potential= about 12 Wh capacity
26800 is about 96.5 Wh capacity
Total charges it can provide to iPhone (assuming 100% efficiency) = 96.5/12 = 8.04 times
unfortunately, the power transfer is not 100% efficient (its more like 85-95%) so it will charge iPhone about 6-7 times.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll trust your since your a battery doctor :joy::joy:.

I don’t really understand, but whatever. :grin:

Don’t worry and ask me questions if you don’t get something.
I’ll start by saying this. mAh doesn’t tell you the total capacity of a battery unless you know the voltage of the battery.
Meaning a 5000 mAh battery with 7.6 V will have 2x capacity than 5000 mAh battery with 3.8 V.
When you convert the capacity in Wh then Voltage of battery don’t matter anymore and you can compare it directly.
mAh x V/1000 = Wh

A 26800 mAh battery pack has 8 cells inside (each is 3350 mAh, 3.6 V). Thus the total capacity is 26800 mAh x 3.6V/1000 = 96.48 Wh
iPhone XS has a 3174 mAh, 3.8 V battery = 3174 mAh x 3.8V/1000 = 12.06 Wh
Now you have the battery capacity of both, battery pack and iPhone. Just divide these to get total number of charges (assuming 100% efficiency). Actual number of charges will be less.

Okay cool. I think I understand a little better now. Thanks for putting so much time into explaining it to me :grin:

Okay, so I have the powercore 13000… it is 5v… so is it 65Wh?

Powercore 13000 has 4 cells each having 3250 mAh capacity
Total capacity in mAh = 4 x 3250 = approx 13000 mAh
each battery is about 3.6 V so in Wh = 13000 mAh x 3.6 V/1000 = 46.8 Wh
so your battery pack is approx. 46.8 Wh total capacity

Battery pack provides 5V output using a dc/dc step up. battery itself can only provide 3.6 V. Thats why there is so much electronics in a battery pack.

2 Likes

Battery pack provides 5V output using a dc/dc step up. battery itself can only provide 3.6 V. Thats why there is so much electronics in a battery pack.

That’s it!
These facts are forgotten very often.
Even the advertising do so, but this is normal! :grin:

1 Like

Individual batteries used in battery packs can be anywhere from 3250 - 3400 mAh (3.6-3.7 V).
13000 is an advertising number, the actual capacity can be higher than that.
Some cheaper battery packs also use 2600 mAh cells or 3000 mAh cells.

Check out this powercore 13000 and 26800 teardown

Essentially there are no repeated correct answers to this as different factors can come into the mix like heat, battery degradation etc…

…mine was based off the on the fly / rule of thumb option of dividing the phone battery size by the the PowerCores overall capacity…both of which are subject to change due to aging and external factors…

I think you are still not entirely correct. You are assuming that both the iphone’s battery and the 26800 operate at 3.8V, which is not true, since the battery pack delivers the output at 5V, that’s why the 5V is on my equation. The important part is not how much power does it hold but how it delivers it. I think you are close to the solution but not there yet.

How about we have @dicejedi test it for us :joy::joy:.

1 Like

No I’m correct. I do this professionally.
Irrespective of your device voltage, the actual battery is always operating at its nominal voltage. For iPhone that is 3.8V and for battery pack it is 3.6V.
By increasing the voltage to 5V, you cannot magically make extra energy.
Voltage x Ah = Wh (total energy) and this will be the bottom line. By increasing or decreasing Voltage and Current, you can extract this limited energy faster or slower but the amount of energy will only vary slightly due to higher or lower resistance.
5V is needed by many electronic components in circuit that’s why it is utilized.

1 Like