iPhone 10 MAX and how many charges do you get?

At least he’s humble about it :grin::wink: just kidding.

@kumar.sachin definitely seems to know what’s up :joy:

Well I’m very proud of what I do and love my work. There is no shame in that :grin:

What exactly do you do? I assume you don’t sit around and calculate battery storages for a living :grin:.

Do you design batteries? Test them?

I’m a Ph.D. Battery scientist. I develop components for different energy storage devices including Li-ion, Lead-acid, Supercapacitors, Fuel-cells, primary lithium, alkaline batteries.
I also develop these devices for testing, test them and understand/publish the technology and patents for my company. I do both fundamental as well as applied research, meaning I make active materials (electrode coatings) for these devices as well as most of the components that goes in making these devices.
Testing batteries is a significant part of my work and I do have access to very sophisticated test equipments :wink:

3 Likes

You are right.
There is always a lot of unqualyfied discussion about batteries. The output advertised is never what you really get.

1 Like

We will let @kumar.sachin help us with batteries from now on :grin:.

Do you happen to know of any good videos that explain about these battery concepts?

Sure I’ll see what can be shared here.

1 Like

Yes, I can get that information. My tester is at home through… I will be back middle of May

3 Likes

Long trip. Vacation??

1 Like

Something like that… except this one is paid

3 Likes

There are plenty of videos on youtube that tries to explain li-ions but either they are done by amateurs who don’t know jack about it or by battery companies who don’t share enough.
There is this video by Prof Jay Whitacre (from Carnegie Mellon University) that is really good with a ton of technical information. I suggest going through first 30 min of it. It will provide information about the construction, working and testing of li-ions.

2 Likes

Before I watch it, I have a question. Will this explain about volts, Amps, Ah, Wh etc?

Or does it just explain how li-ion batteries work?

1 Like

No it wont explain units. This video explains basics of li ions and then moves to advanced level. It is assumed that viewer know about these basics.
I can do it here
Ohm’s law: V = IR (V is voltage, I is current, R is resistance)
Power (Watt) = Voltage (V) x Current (I, or Amp)
Energy (Watt-hour) = Voltage (V) x Current (A) x hour (h)

With these basic equations you can roughly get an idea of energy stored in a device.
when li ion capacity is said in mAh unit, it don’t tell the voltage and is misleading since the voltage will tell you the energy that is stored in it. Also important is the discharge rate (A/sec) that is used. Higher discharge rate will result in lower energy (due to increased resistance).
If you have any specific question, I can answer it in simple terms.

5 Likes