Indestructible Headphones? What Electronic Mishaps Have You Had?

Have you ever had one of those facepalm moments when you discover something you accidentally did and are just hoping and wishing that you didn’t break/destroy it, or do something irreversible?

Well, that just happened to me when I went home over my lunch break to take the clothing out of the dryer. When I opened the dryer and started pulling out the clothing, I noticed what looked like an ear bud attachment. Upon further inspection, I was able to confirm that it was indeed that little attachment. My stomach dropped a little and I was just hoping the rest of the headphones weren’t in the dryer as well. [FACEPALM]…they were! UGH! How could I have sent these through a full wash cycle and then not realize it as I was transferring the clothing from the wash to the dryer and then run the dryer on top of it all?

“Please don’t be dead. Please don’t be broken.” I thought as I carefully inspected them. To my delight and surprise, they powered right on and instantly connected to my phone! Not only were they still turning on, but the audio still sounds great! Aside from some lint they’re still working perfectly. YAY! Go @AnkerOfficial for these excellent products that can survive a washing machine and a dryer!

What are some of your electronic accidental mishaps or horror stories?

14 Likes

You got SOOOO lucky.

Next washing
Step 1: check pockets
Step 2: check again

If in doubt repeat steps 1 and 2

5 Likes

Hahaha! I know I did! That’s the thing though, I ALWAYS check pockets. I’m wondering if they just somehow fell into the laundry bin and they hid under a shirt or something as I was tossing in clothing.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had something like this happen :grin:. The other day I had my Spirit X get soaked, yanked, pulled, tugged and completely ripped off my neck. They are still working perfectly! They seem to be really well made :+1:

1 Like

Chalk that up to sweatguard technology that allows them to be waterproof as well. I went swimming with mine so it’s no surprise they survived a wash cycle. Great job Anker

4 Likes

My stupid moment was when I was wearing an expensive over the ear headphones that were designed to block out noise from heavy equipment. I was helping my buddy out with his lawn service when a couple of his regulars didn’t show up for work. I was on the zero turn when it stopped working. I ended up having to jack up the mower to untangle some rope that somehow I didn’t see in the tall grass. The headphones kept getting in the way so I took them off and set them on the cutting deck.

Somehow they shifted and were hiding from me. Between the 110 degree weather and to much partying the night before I forgot I didn’t have the headphones on me and I turned on the mower and started cutting only to grind up my 200+ headphones in a few seconds.

2 Likes

Oh man! That would have made me sick. Did you realize what you had done right away, or did you notice them later all ground up when you were headed back in that direction?

Right away! Not only did I hear it, but the mower spit out the remains all over the drive and yard

:man_facepalming::tired_face: Yikes! I’m sorry. That was one expensive mistake.

Woohoo :smile:
My Fitbit Zip went through 2 full wash and dry cycles and still works great.

1 Like

I see all the stuff making it to free wash and dry cycles, don’t remember any particular electronic item though.

2 Likes

I’ve done.many oops over the years, but my greatest achievement was when I was around 5

According to family (I did know them many years ago, but that’s another story!)

One Christmas Eve, I not only took the TV apart, but also the cabinet it was part of (ask your dad… TVs were built into the cabinet, and had sliding doors to reveal the screen). I had the bits lined up in the order I removed them… Got a.massive shock from the transformer… Did someone say turn off at the mains? Too late!
Apparently my dad had to drive around late on Christmas Eve to buy a new TV… Oops

Approx 11 years ago, I was replacing the door hinge on a friend’s washing machine… I’d removed the top, and inside screws.

I’d reached my arm inside again to add new bolts/screws to hold the hinge to the machine. I suddenly felt this very sharp almost biting pain in my forearm and hands… When I looked to see what was the problem, my sweaty arm was touching the terminals for the microchip board, while reaching in. So once turned off at the mains, I carried on n fixed it.

One time, I blew the mains fuses in a hotel in France, trapping the manager, owner of said hotel, and the local senior policeman in the lifts for 3 hrs, while they tried to find the fault… It was me :stuck_out_tongue: I tried to rewire my stereo to work with French plug sockets… Didn’t quite work… Oops

Plus as a child, trying to be helpful and fix a light switch, I got thrown from one side of the room to the other… Oops

I think it’s safe to say, I’m not the best when it comes to electric… And no, I don’t have curly hair hahahaha

2 Likes

I’m sure that there are better ways to keep them clean :joy:

Usually I’m pretty careful with my tech but one time I lent a friend a cable and they washed it and realized it was in the wash so we went down to get it and you could hear the cable bouncing around in the machine. She refused to stop the washing machine because she would have to pay to start it again so we waited. I then put the cable in rice and waited for it to dry. A couple days later I tried it out and worked just fine still as fast as my other cables

3 Likes

I remember a fellow who was washing his mechanical watch, as it was not waterproofed he was not as lucky as you have been.
You should listen to Water Music, HWV 348, 349 und 350 von Georg Friedrich Händel
this seems to be the perfect music for your buds. :joy:

Mac, this will be helpful for your future repairs!

Great stories you told us.

A friend and I “repaired” an old TV long time ago by patching the fuse with staniol (chocolate paper). The result was smoke and the real end of that TV.
Because there was no more TV for the family, we were playing cards and other party games.
Much better! :grin:

5 Likes

Yes, I’ve never used such a tool, perhaps I should hahahaha

1 Like

Mac, you had me cracking up with this! LOL!!! :rofl:

Hahaha! I would have offered to pay for another rinse cycle. :smiley:

I thought about it but there was like five minutes left so I figured the damage was done and there was no point in paying for a new cycle and a new cable and luckily I didn’t have to pay for either