Hello, City! | Share Your Story and WIN PowerCore II 6700!

Hello New York City!!

Although I don’t go out to Manhatten as much anymore, my neighborhood Far Rockaway is cool as well (sort of) and has its own uniqueness! Every year during the summer when the Rockaway Beaches are “Open” everybody from the families and tourists come down to the sandy shores to bathe in the hot sun and cool down in the chilly North Atlantic Waters! Far Rock isn’t as busy as Putnam or 5th Ave and that’s what gives it a homey type of feel for me, and honestly if it wasn’t for the beach so close to me I would’ve moved.

4 Likes

Not only that but Fat Joe lived in the Rockaways and sung about us in Lean Back!

Also more photos

4 Likes

My cousin and her husband have just relocated there from Melbourne (Australia) for her job. They’ve only been in San Fran a fortnight and love it so much

1 Like

I really want to travel after reading your comments!!!

5 Likes

#Hello, Tokyo!#

Where do I even begin? This city was full of life. I loved exploring everywhere I went. You could always find the most random and hilarious shops and items in back alleys, tucked behind the busy streets. Japan is a beautiful country and Tokyo is an amazing city. I loved that I was able to time my watch to trains (their commuter system was awesome!!) I loved how the city had giant Forrest’s surrounding temples so that you could forget you were in a busy city for a few minutes while you relaxed and ate your freshly bought dango and onigiri on a park bench. And have I mentioned how everything is orderly? Everyone takes pride in their jobs. Everyone makes a conscious effort not to overstep boundaries. And they do their part to contribute to their society. I’m not saying it’s the perfect city, but I definitely miss living there. I can’t wait to go back! (Also the food is to die for… literally… it’s so good… T-T Now I’m hungry…)

I remember this one time I was entering a shopping Center and there was a person who was about to leave… so I held the door open and said “douzo” which basically translates to “go ahead” or “after you”. The elderly woman shook her head at me and replied douzo right back to me. Being the simple Canadian that I am… I could not allow this woman to out-polite me. So I motioned again for her to go first, still holding the door and again saying Douzo. After about a solid 30 seconds of awkwardness a guy came running up to the door. Saw the great Canadian vs. Japanese politeness stand-off going on, bowed to both of us and said “SUMIMASEN!!!” Which means “SORRY!!!” And ran through between us. I knew at this point I’d never win, and I went first, but still managed to hold the door open to the lovely Japanese woman who smiled… knowing she had won The Great Douzo War of 2014…

9 Likes

#Hello, Kansas City!#

The city with many nicknames, and more and more to do each year as young adults move in from the surrounding suburbs.

The Paris of the plains:

Home of world-renowned sports teams:

And the best BBQ around:

I’ve lived all over the world, but there’s no place like home for this proud Kansas Citian!

6 Likes

#Hello London!#
I used to work and live in London for two years, I really loved the city a lot! Back then I was single and had loads of time, apart from going to pubs with colleagues after work (something we kinda had to do…) I developed a hobby of photography, London is a really good photogenic place I often found myself randomly discovering new places.

I am sure almost everyone have seen the iconic London eye, London Bridge, the parliament building and the Big Ben, so here I have some photos of the building and area I like — The Royal Court of Justice! The high court of the UK. It always remind me of Magic for some reason, I am a big Harry Potter fan and I always imagine this would be what the Ministry of Magic look like :wink: with the cone shaped building tops.

There is also a monument nearby with a dragon on top, it marks boundary of the political centre - City of Westminster and the economic centre - City of London even though they are called city but together they are all parts of London we know of!

Now I have a family and live in a much smaller and quieter city in the east of England, but I do miss London and do go back a lot! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

#Hello, Montréal#

So much to do. So little time. Really, at any given moment there are so many events, concerts, expos, parties, and even sales that it’s virtually impossible to always be on top of everything. Two weeks ago, a great Senegalese singer I love was in town for a concert. I learned about it last weekend. And I’m well informed. We actually call our summer here the festivals season, because there’s an uninterrupted parade of festivals happening downtown throughout the summer, ranging from music - like our world-famous Jazz festival - to circus, to comedy. Not to mention the museums.

We have great parks, great nature around us, great little secrets like the coolest flower shop below:

Yes, we also have winter. A long and cold one, but even that is fun, with outdoor activities crafted to profit from the cold months. And, to prepare for that, we also have am astounding autumn:

Those are all just the cellphone photos I have handy for this post. It’s a great city to any pro or amateur photographer. Just go outside with your camera to snap great pics - yes, in any season.

We also have great education, including one of the highest-rating universities in the world, we are leading the way in videogame development and are about to do the same with AI.

Plus, we have a clean city, very low violence rate, high employability, and one of the most multicultural metropolis in the world. Is it perfect? No, sure. For one, there’s no Anker store here. :wink: But it is a wonderful place to live nevertheless.

5 Likes

#Hello Los Angeles#

I wasn’t born in California but i was raised here since i was 5 years old. I have many memories when i was a child growing up but most of my memories and the reason i love Los Angeles is for all the nice scenic roads i can ride too. Those are the memories I cherish, especially with friends and loved ones. I cant wait to explore more roads of LA

3 Likes

I watch the documentary 180 south…great stuff

1 Like

#Hello, San Diego#

This shot is from Balboa Park, which opened in 1915 for the California-Panama Exposition. With 17 museum and totaling 1,200 acres, Balboa Park is the largest urban cultural park in the United States, and is also home to the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Naval Hospital. This exact spot is my favorite spot in the park.

4 Likes

#hello, Belfast#

Belfast for some is famous for being the place where the Titanic was built, the place with the most bombed hotel in the world, the place where the Back to the Future car (DeLorean) was made, or the place where Games of Thrones is filmed and ofcourse not forgetting the Ulster Fry :raised_hands:t2: . But for me it will always be … Home.

To say that it’s had a very checkered past would be an understatement but thankfully the majority of us have moved on from “The Troubles” and have become a place where people now wanna visit.

Won’t really get into the politijcal side of things, but as a city it’s come a long way and if you are looking for a good night out there is nowhere better to be for drink, craic and music. Given the size of Northern Ireland as a whole you are never too far away from the countryside and it’s clear to see why Ireland is called the Emerald Isle.

Next two pics are government buildings, which is also my workplace.

9 Likes

Hello, Monterey

Home of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and the grumpy fish!

Awesome Hiking

Pebble Beach

Delicious Seafood, oh and fancy wrapped lemon to prevent the seed from dropping on your food when you squeeze :wink:

7 Likes

@k_pug2003 I would love to be able to drive through those trees and take in the scenery. So gorgeous

#Hello, Seattle#
Mountains, Water, Tech and People. A little bit of everything here.

1 Like

#Hello, San Diego#
I was a senior in high school when I first visited San Diego. My older brother and I had a road trip to visited colleges I got accepted to all along northern and Southern California but I knew the moment I arrived, San Diego was gonna be my second home. I’ve lived all my life in Sacramento, my parents wanted me to stay close and go to UC Davis. I on the other hand had a different mindset, I was gonna venture on my own.

Geisel library…I went to UC San Diego (Revelle… for those who know what I’m talking about). I ended up meeting my best friend my sophomore year in college… good times!

The infamous Gaslamp district, where once I turned legal age of drinking, i spent plentiful of times enjoying the night life it offered to unwind.

Pacific beach…where I can go and relax in my T-shirt, shorts and flip flops and go bar hopping and the beach :desert_island:.

Unfortunately college was over (woohoo!) and I had to move back to Sacramento and begin my grind (my wife said I had to move back :wink:, she went to college in Sacramento). I have several friends that have moved away and come back to San Diego. I will retire their one day, hopefully I can Influence my kids to go to college in San Diego one day and I can go back to vacation mode for the rest of my life. If you have never been, please go. People are laid back and can’t beat the weather, beaches and diversity of people and their cultures…so on that note

10 Likes

Is the library an actual building? Because it looks amazing

2 Likes

Library…if you go to the top floor you can see the ocean @Kopra_12

1 Like

The are called the Dark Hedges, became really popular due to the Game of Thrones.

There are soooo many stunning coastal / countryside routes in Ireland. When we get our 2 weeks of summer getting out on bike and doing them makes it even better compared to being in a cage.

2 Likes

#Hello Barry & Merthyr Tydfil#

Born and raised in Barry, South Wales where I spent every minute I could out with my mates and over Barry Island. Made famous firstly by Billy Butlins and his holiday park and the amazing fun fair across the road. It brought so many people to the area.

Then at 29 I met my wonderful wife when working in Merthyr Tydfil and have been there for 16 years.
A place made famous for starting the industrial revolution and a town built on Mining and Iron production. The place where the steam engine was created to help get the coal from the valleys to to Cardiff and Barry docks for export.

A beautiful town nestled just on the edge of the Brecon Beacons national park. with amazing scenery, the highest mountain in South Wales where people climb daily and lots of trails etc for mountain biking etc.

Cyfarthfa Castle and Museum, built by the owners of the iron works so they could look out of their home and see their workers hard at it. Now a fab country park.

The Redhouse, the old county hall. Recently renovated after years left to ruin. A theatre in the heart of town.

Ponsticill Reservoir, one of many which feed the Welsh valleys with fresh water. Also used for leisure activities.

Cefn Coed Viaduct. What a wonderful structure which I see every day. Also used to link the rail lines from Merthyr to the coast but now a pathway and part of the no’ 48 cycle path.

I do love it up here. Surrounded by fields and hills. Great for getting out and about.

7 Likes