Have you seen the most recent news from Amazon on product reviews?!

This was just posted on TechCrunch a few minutes ago…

Amazon is making a significant change to its Community Guidelines, announced today, which will eliminate any incentivized reviews, except for those that emerge from within its own Amazon Vine program. This program allows Amazon – not the seller or vendor – to identify trusted reviewers, and has a number of controls in place in order to keep bias out of the review process.

Amazon has historically prohibited compensation for reviews – even going so far as to sue those businesses who pay for fake reviews, as well as the individuals who write them, in an effort to make its review and rating system fairer and more helpful to online shoppers. However, it has allowed businesses to offer products to customers in exchange for their “honest” review.

The only condition was that those reviewers would have to disclose their affiliation with the business in question in the text of their review. Reviewers were generally offered the product for free or at a discounted price, in exchange for their review.

Although, in theory, these reviewers could write their true opinion on the product – positive or negative – these incentivized reviews have tended to be overwhelmingly biased in favor of the product being rated.

This is due to a combination of factors – the fact that the vendor or seller has likely sought out those reviewers who are less critical, and the fact that reviewers may believe they would no longer have the opportunity to receive these sorts of offers, if they chose to say negative things.

In general, shoppers have begun to distrust these reviews because they believe them to be biased. That’s not just a “feeling,” as it turns out – a recent study of over 7 million reviews indicated that the average rating for products with incentivized reviews was higher than non-incentivized ones. (That is, a 4.74 average rating versus a 4.36 average rating, out of 5 stars).

average-rating-percentiles

Even with this 0.38 star difference, the impact was substantial – boosting products from the 54th percentile to the 94th percentile. Effectively, incentivized reviews could create top-rated products.

The study also found that incentivized reviewers were 12 times less likely to give a 1-star rating than non-incentivized reviews, and almost 4 times less likely to leave a critical review in general.

distribution-of-ratings

Technically, these reviewers are not compensated with cash, but writing reviews has become a windfall of sorts. Those who participate in incentivized reviews have written an average of 232 reviews, the study indicated, while those who have not, only wrote an average of 31 reviews. That’s a lot of free and discounted products for these ‘non-compensated’ reviewers!

Amazon says that, going forward, the only incentivized reviews will be those from Amazon Vine. These don’t work the same way, however. For starters, Amazon selects who will be allowed to review products, and it does so mainly to boost the review count on new or pre-release products that haven’t yet generated enough sales to have a large number of organic reviews.

Vine reviewers are invited to join the program only after having written a number of reviews voted as “helpful” by other customers, and tend to have expertise in a specific product category.

“We do not incentivize positive star ratings, attempt to influence the content of reviews, or even require a review to be written,” explains Chee Chew, VP, Customer Experience at Amazon in an announcement about how Vine controls for bias. “And we limit the total number of Vine reviews that we display for each product,” he adds.

In addition, vendors don’t have any contact with Vine reviewers, nor do they get to influence which reviewers will receive their products, which are submitted directly to Amazon for distribution.

These changes will apply to all product categories other than books, as Amazon has always allowed advance copies of books to be distributed, the retailer notes. Amazon also says it has other ideas about making Vine more useful in the future, but didn’t go into detail.

An Amazon spokesperson tells us that reviews that were received prior to the policy change are only being retroactively removed if they are excessive, and don’t comply with prior policy. That means you’ll still see a ton of these seemingly biased reviews live on Amazon, unfortunately. The retailer also says that if it finds anyone is attempting to manipulate reviews by tying reviews to discounted products, it will take action against them, starting today.

4 Likes

I just read this article as well and I am curious on how it will affect anker.

Read it also and first thought was to come here and see whats the word.

hmm…this is really going to be tricky now for Power Users. Guess it’s time to start a blog/youtube or something but yeah…

Pity Amazon can’t be as attentive to the negative voting option, such as making the voter select why the review was unhelpful. I’ve had three Anker reviews incur some negative votes because of a five star review (given because the item did what I wanted and what it was designed to do, can’t exactly shaft them for that with lower stars). I’ve even stated in my reviews to check past reviews, as I’ve had three Anker products that have garnered three stars as they did not meet a usable standard (for me).

As far as this will effect Anker, not certain it will completely seeming Amazon are their main distributor, so I imagine that some negotiations have been done to allow sample reviews but probably without a verified purchase tags which sometimes can be listed. Either that of Anker start selling direct (which no doubt will cause Amazon issues in the future if other large sellers follow suit)

Edit - Also it looks at present that this is only for amazon.com not .co.uk, so it will be probably another few months for UK reviewers.

2 Likes

Thankful if it’s only for .com but to be fair it isn’t long until they mirror their community guidelines elsewhere although I would like to think there are far more reviews on .Com and there are likely to be more false ones.

I too read the news and came here to worry like the rest of us! It’s a bit worrying but no doubt it will follow unless Anker will find somewhere else to write your reviews or so but I usually post mine on my own site.

Quite saddened that some have ruined it for the masses.

I’ve always thought Anker’s power user scheme was quite robust and has led to high-quality reviews far beyond the general quality of what you find on Amazon. I too hope some arrangement is worked out and I would think Anker must have had some prior notice of a change this important.

/sub 567890

Anker… We are all concerned. Please fill us in on how this will effect us Power Users… Are we officially done testing and reviewing your products? Please let us know…

1 Like

I don’t believe they’ll ever be done; the way Anker has made it work and how someone else suggested was that they will always somewhat require testing, most if not every product does. No product works fantastic just by selling it from the beginning they always need someone to test it. I’m sure a few companies will ask for further clarification as to what Amazon mean but don’t get me wrong I get a boat load of utter rubbish in my inbox for trials and it’s all stuff I would never touch.

It’s like I said - a handful have ruined it for the masses for either publishing good reviews on rubbish products or getting paid to do them.

To be a “Verified” Review on amazon the consumer has to atleast pay something out of pocket even if only a penny for the review to be considered are verified purchase. So as other companies I review for do, they will send you a coupon code redeemable on Amazon bringing the total down to only .01cent. Another option Anker has is to send power users the total amount of the product via paypal and in turn the individual buys the product with those funds as some comapanies do already that I also review for. Now some will ask what if they dont use those funds to purchase and review the product? Well the company will simply not allow you to review for them anymore. So I am sure Anker will institute something to keep reviewers reviewing their products just more discreetly now unfortunately.

1 Like

Hey guys, thank you for following the news and your concern for our Power User Program. Rest assured that we’ll keep Power User Program and stay connected with you in the future. We’ll keep you informed of any actions we might take. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. Will be interesting to see how the Power User program moves forward for users who primarily review via Amazon and not personal blogs/YouTube (where products reviewed are not available for purchase)

1 Like

any update?

2 Likes

No official update for US users however the UK Power User program is still, for the time being, reviewed as before via Amazon.

1 Like

You are right, news don’t relate to UK users, as I have just reviewed Anker product on Amazon and it was published without any problems.

1 Like

Reviews will still go through here in the US through Amazon as well, we just run the risk of being banned from Amazon so it is NOT advised sadly. Such a bummer.

So when we receive a Power User product, are we still expected to leave a review on Amazon or should we be sending feedback to Anker and posting about the item on social media? This change on Amazon impacts the Power User program as it stands - could we get some clarity please?

I also saw that this morning when I logged in, the Power User program was only linked via the Community page… and all of my review links are gone from my profile.

Thanks for sharing a clear update!
Dave

about a week ago, a friend had told me about this new policy increased by AMAZON could not really believe it, because I think this way are discouraging potential consumers, because thanks to the testers is that the products have their revisions since They are few if any buyers who devote their time to make revisions

wow i bet the amount of reviews drop because of this.