GaN 90-100 Watt with 2 PD ports for MacBook 2018 and iPad Pro2020 as well as iPhone xS

Anyone know of the above that would be a smaller version of the PD4 Atom which is fairly large and heavy to travel with. Ravpower has a 2 PD 91 and Choetech has a 100 W 2 PD but I really like and trust Anker. All may pd cables are Anker.

2 Likes

Nope, still waiting… Anker has not even announced such a product yet, so unfortunately, there probably is not one coming very soon.

However, if you’re interested in a portable charger, look here:

1 Like

I do not work for nor represent anything Anker.

Yes, Anker can make a dual-port 85W-100W today. The cost would be around $35.

The challenge is you the consumer on the core challenge of:

• what happens when you plug in the 2nd device?

All PD which is >45W must present 20V, and all PD 60W+ must be 20V.

So in a dual-port 100W, one port used, is simple it has to be 5A 20V 100W.

When you plug in the 2nd port, then your options are:

• split the current equally, so its 2.5A 20V 50W each port.
  • Number the ports so its “1” and “2”, release, say, 20V 4A (80W) to the 1st port, let it negotiate, then present the unused power to the 2nd port.
  • Keep turning power off / on every few minutes to force a renegotiation.

The equal power option will cause the criticism is not suit XXX situation.
The frequent power-off/on will annoy anyone with a bleeping device and keep reminded of it.
The numbered ports will annoy anyone who does not want to think.

Pick your problem.

The electronics is not the challenge, the consumer’s reaction is the problem.

2 Likes

I like Anker and have several of their products but it’s ok to try other brands

I personally prefer how Satechi have done it - the same as the middle option that professor is descriping.
Then I have one high power C port for charging my laptop, and C port for my phone.

They have two 4 port chargers like the PD4 (so 2 x C and 2 x A ports).

Their 75W travel charger (which is the model I own) has max 60W on USB C port 1 and max 18W on port 2 + 12W shared for the two A ports.

The other model (108W desktop charger) have 90W available on the first USB C port - rest the same as above.

Unlike the PD4, the output from the first USB C port will never drop below resp. 45 or 78W - i.e. for me still sufficient to keep my laptop charging (min 45W required). For the PD4 this is 38W.

Another reason I chose the Satechi 75W was due to the weight - 200g.
PD4 is 383g , while the 108W Satechi is 417g - so for the same amount of power it is comparable. But for my purpose the 75W Satechi was enough. I could of course have gone with the 65W Atom III from Anker - which is only 136g. But only one USB C port was a dealbreaker for me, even if I like the more flat Anker design better.

1 Like

Cool.

That is the frustration, Anker has invested to build a community, and only uses it to sell things, not to consult and ask us. There’s sufficient diversity of types here, from those who don’t want to understand through to geeks, so a balanced view can be formed of what to do next.

I also prefer this option:

1 Like

Ah yeah - just to be clear. On the Satechi models the max 60W and max 18W ports are predefined - it is simply printed below the port.

What professor was describing I guess was a more free approach, so the device first plugged into any of the USB C ports got what they negiotiated - then the rest gould be offered to any device plugged into the other ports.
While it is definetly more flexible, and could allow more combiniations (e.g 45 + 30 W), I would be concerned if the average end user would be able to understand what happens if e.g. the second device plugged in does not get all the power it could pull.
Maybe with some form of indication - e.g. an LED indicating which port is the primary/first plugged in device.
Or even cooler (at least for geek like myself) - a small 2 digit display for each port showing the current max power negotiated / available.

1 Like

For consumer market, simpler wins.