Galaxy Fold review units are failing

Even Though Samsung is having issues with this I still trust them. They are a good strong company and they make good quality products every now and then things just don’t go right and you see this all across most markets.

1 Like

I trust they will bounce back and deliver a good product

1 Like

I’m a iPhone user and I want to see Samsung to be successful. Because this will set the standard higher and everyone else will have to push to not fall behind.

3 Likes

I like this way better than spending $2000+ on a phone.

I’d say the smartwatch solution set, with the exception of Apple Watch is under-spec’d still, in terms of what you get, the technology is woefully short still, particularly in the performance vs battery life. It is obviously one of the more challenging areas but at least its not mechanical nature, so not so much reliability, but efficiency of electronics vs battery density, limited by the wrist form factor. Apple is expensive.

But the big non-folding phone is mature and good value, the “phablet” market there are multiple big phones out there which do not rely on mechanical movement.

Hence so long as your expectations of a smartwatch are kept low - use them sparingly - then a smartwatch + big phone / small tablet, is more viable than the folding phones, in 2019 at least. I see the smartwatches getting better faster than folding phones getting reliable so I expect my view valid for at least a year til the folding technologies get to version 3 reliability then version 5 cost.

1 Like

Even when the test units aren’t breaking, reviews are less than stellar: https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/22/samsung-galaxy-fold-review-expensive-experiment/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=dl

This quote pretty much says it:

At this point, the Galaxy Fold is a glorified bit of beta hardware.

Ouch.

1 Like

I totally agree with this quote. But I believe this is the fist step for this kind of tech.

There goes… launch is now delayed

2 Likes

I was gonna post this link earlier but you beat me to it. It’s gonna be an uphill battle to sell this phone

I got a new use for it.

Clamp it round any other Samsung about to explode!

So its exploding phone shield?

3 Likes

So it seems if it didn’t fail for one thing it would fail for another.

But I’m sure version 3 will be good. In general Samsung makes good stuff this was probably marketing getting too eager to push a product before it was ready. There’s probably engineer in South Korea saying “told you so”

That’s exactly what happened. They skipped tests and just wanted to push it to the market, they deserve an L

1 Like

This happened here too!

Let’s not forget that now it’s about who make it first. Before it was about delivery, I remember seeing Microsoft unveiled a tablet way before the iPad, and no one remembers that. But Apple delivered in a great way and was successful. Now Samsung has deliver first, now every one else follows. Maybe faulty but I think they created all this controversy and maybe they just will add more warnings regarding how sensitive the screen is and done. Problem solve.

I can assure you that they did testing and have done testing in real world conditions, but those who were testing was told to treat it like gold so everyone was being super careful with their units and not stressing or pushing them to the limits like the tech reviewers.

It’s easy to criticize any company when things are faulty, but do t knock Samsung because at least they acknowledged it from the start and are working to fix it as fast as they can.

Nevermind apple, who has faught and denied issues with their products claiming user error or this and that reason. And it taking a massive backlash online and from users before apple acknowledges anything, with the most recent being their laptop keyboards and displays

But this is NOT a real test, Rob.
The majority of users and customers are not those like we are, who care about things.

1 Like

Also it was Nokia who did touch screens first, but they did resistive and the screens scratched easily, but soon followed iPhone 1 and the (can’t remember name) screen, which was a bit toucher n didn’t scratch under use, was more responsive. People forget apple wasn’t the first… Again!

1 Like

Sorry but IBM had the first touchscreen phone, not Nokia. And it was a resistive touch screen, unlike today’s phones which use a capacitive touch screen.

That’s the word. I don’t remember IBM making phones (must be USA thing)

I know we lost out on ttt (the walkie talkie feature on phones around that time, cos most didn’t know how it worked… But at a time when you got few free minutes, using ttt would have been great, as it was free.

I may had said it before but I’m glad it’s happening to Samsung since they will DEFINITELY fix it. I’ve been with Samsung since they came out with the Samsung Epic. I know they will learn from this and deliver a great phone.