Galaxy Fold review units are failing

This is why I never buy first gen electronics. Still, the tech is cool. Just needs time to mature.

I would stay away from Huawei I remember they getting in trouble over some privacy issues. And last I remember, they were trying to ban their phones in the US

I tried watching the first episode of GOT but I fell asleep within the first 20 mins and I have never tried again lol

3 things really put me off smartwatches.

1, the removing nncharging every night. Now I know i charge my phone each night, but apart from cleaning n changing time/date (summer/winter etc) I don’t take my watch off. I’ve worn a watch since I was ten, it was a Timex with red numbers that appeared when you pushed the button.

2, my hearing. It won’t be loud enough to use the “phone”.

3, my eyes! I need glasses on my phone, and that’s a 6.4 inche display. I have a great habit.if NOT taking my glasses when I go out (I use the magnifier on the phone).

So for those reasons, I couldn’t use/rely on a smartwatch.

Now, if they did a sleeve that went on your forearm (about the size of a large iPhone (I say iPhone, cos they’re thinner)) like in some sci-fi films.

Thanks guys, this is an interesting discussion. Always wanted apple devices but given the cost I may be looking into these other devices as an option.

If you like Apple, you could get one of the smaller iPads, Wifi or LTE. If Wifi you could put the LTE in a mobile daughter card in a Raspberry Pi type device and then share it. More complex but you can imagine some situations that makes sense, more so if you have multiple devices. Or you could deliberately explicitly buy the smallest iPhone and an iPad and tether. Sometimes 2 screens are better. Oh and if you don’t know, Android does split screen.

2 Likes

There are many reasons to be put off smartwatches, one of them is they cost the same as an entry level phone but worse battery life, smaller screen, less useful.

1. correct. They rarely last more than 1 full day. But I guess you’re too old to learn to change.

2. they don’t have to be for hearing, you can use them for filtering, they vibrate you look at them and flick away the notification or go to your phone. Personally I use them for biking, I can glance at my wrist on a bike easier than a phone as I just hold my wrist up, good when at lights hold wrist up aligned with the light and filter notifications while waiting. You can bluetooth pair BT buds to phone or if go with an LTE smartwatch to the watch. In UK they are also very convenient for contactless payments which are more prevalent than in US.

1. so this then calls for what I suggested, get a bigger phone, a phablet, if you struggle with 6.4" phone you can get 8.4" or 10.8" phone. Example in UK which I don’t recommend as its price gone up a lot, implying there’s a successor coming. The bigger tablets cause a problem of you can’t necessarily keep them in your trouser pocket, so the idea of the smartwatch to filter incoming information off your wrist then grab the tablet, or go without your phone.

It is just a different approach, using mature reliable technology, with big screens, and a lot less cost than $2000.

Most people I expect will just buy one phone of the size / type they like and some will get a Wifi smartwatch and be done.

I own a smartwatch, the Samsung watch actually, and I hate having to charge it every night or every 8 hours depending on usage, but given the size of the smartwatch itself, I really can’t ask for too much

1 Like

you can turn a smartwatch into a dumb one, it’s called airplane mode. You can even turn the display off and turn it on when you need to know the time. Mine is the LG Watch Urbane 2, it is slow to recharge so when on long flights I’d put in airplane mode to just make it last 24 hours without having to take off wrist.

Yes I know it is being obtuse but you can get around it if you wanted to.

I think the technology should improve and can improve. Samsung Gear is much better at battery life than my LG, to prove it can be done.

Yea I know you can turn a lot of its features off, but it wouldn’t be a smartwatch anymore. I’ll just keep its features on and charge it twice a day

This is spiralling off the original thread, so I’ll bring it back to the context.

If someone wants a bigger display, they can spend $2000 on a current generation unreliable folding phone, or

• carry a tablet, but the tablet cannot so easily fit in a pocket, so you could

• sometimes leave the tablet not nearby and for brief periods, a few hours, just use your smartwatch

The example cost would be say $300 for the tablet, I cited an example and say $300 for the watch, total $600, which is << $2000. You’d have two phones, one on your wrist and one either in a bag or far away.

The idea complements the $2000 folding phone idea. I am not recommending anything here, just “chewing the cud”

Current technology I think people are settled on a 6" phone and dumb watch, that’s 80% of what I see in real life.

1 Like

That’s what I have … Large phone n normal watch (not entirely dumb, as charged by any light source).

I know citizen do a semi smart watch, that gives notifications, and you don’t need to charge, as it’s sola powered … I know a couple top watch makers do smartish watches with like 1/3/5 year battery.

No phone and an old mechanical watch…
And still alive.
I am a miracle.

Correct and you’re retired so knowledge of, and reply to, information is not so much a concern.

Sometimes it is good not to be full of knowledge, wisdom is better.

Not incorrect but is allowed more as you’re retired. There are plenty in the work world who’s income is proportional to currency and quantity of knowledge. I took a long holiday last year and digitally unplugged and, yes, I get it.

Unplugged. Indeed😍
That I would suggest for ALL our buddies here.
14 days minimum without any connections to the world wide …
What I really need is Mozart, Beethoven and the other Franz :wink:

Cool, so your last post here for 2 weeks? See your next post May 5th. Enjoy your music but I’d add some Mahler to it.

No I am in the game at the moment.
But indeed, as I have to be some surgery done in May I could be in the nowhere.

Mahler, difficult for me same as Brahms.
You should take a look at Kallinikov

:worried:, I hope it goes well. :wink: