Galaxy Fold review units are failing

Dont know if the kindle reader would fit for me.
But this old app on my really antique IPAD is OK.
i use this for reading only, as all other apps can not be updated, like usual on old apple devices.:confounded:

Just to read there is no contest between kindle and iPad
Kindle will win all the time. You can never replace the paper like feel and contrast of kindle.

I don’t have a Kindle but when I want to read a book I use Moon+ Reader pro. You can change brightness and font size and all that :+1:

Samsung has been my choice for phones for the last 2 years and I feel like they do alot of things right lately but I knew this was doomed. I feel even the 2nd iteration to come along after this will still have hiccups. I’d love to one day have a phone like the tablets from Westworld and wouldnt have a problem with the gigantic price tag it delivered. It’s just too far off with current tech.

Yea they will probably get it right by 3rd generation. Is Westworld good? I’ve been wanting to watch it but it’s only 2 seasons long. I feel like it will be over quickly @edgelimited13

1 Like

Hope the Fold-Gate does not discourage or kill the fold designs completely,

It probably won’t discourage Samsung but customers will be more wary about buying a foldable phone

Aww man, imagine if Samsung had these troubles with their screen hidden on the inside when folded, then picture how much worse it will be for the other manufacturers who will have their screen exposed on the outside.

I hope they learn from this and do more testing to their phones to guarantee better results. I will continue using their phones, but I’ll stick to the Galaxy or Note series for right now

@Ikari04warrior Personally I really love Westworld . The blend of drool worthy imaginary technology mixed with the beautiful old west sets is great. Acting and storylines are solid too. It does suck it’s only 2 seasons at the moment and it wont return till 2020 but if your not hooked by the 1st episode you have your answer.

A few years ago, I had what many considered to be one of the best ever Samsung phones… The Alpha

I lived it originally, but along came an update, and killed the phone, almost lifeless! I swore after I wouldn’t get Samsung again… Then came along the S8 and I was happy again, and now on to the S10+ and even happier with it.

There will always, ALWAYS be a dud phone amongst the bunch. A company CANNOT build n sell millions of one model, and there not be a dud in amongst them.

3 Likes

:+1:I’ll watch a couple episodes this weekend see how I like it, thanks. I also gotta start Game of Thrones

2 Likes

GOT, has NEVER interested me, even less so, now I know Sean I’m a wanker Bean is in it!

Our sky package includes box-sets, so the.mrs has the 1st 2 episodes downloaded (she’ll prob watch while I nod off in the chair… which on myeds is quite often!)

Today, am watching… WITHOUT A TRACE, not a bad series (had watched it all in the beginning, but long enough ago now to rewatch).

Phones have their screen on the outside today but most people use cases and the lips around the edge of the case protect the screen if put down screen face downward. So yes the problem is you cannot put a case on the folding phones so they naturally are going to damage faster and then add the wear of the folding.

I don’t see why folks who want bigger screen just don’t buy a tablet and carry it for the times they need more screen. You can tether off the phone and carry an USB battery. I don’t see really sufficient to gain for $2000.

1 Like

People are trying to shy away (at least in words) from screen, reduce time on phone/tabs… With fold design, brands are trying to increase that again ( Samsung, LG and may be… May be Apple)… living in contrasting world

So smartwatches are getting better slowly I have had one with LTE for about 2 years now, if I don’t intend to make calls or look things up I just head with just my watch, if anyone wants to call me or get me a message they can. It’s quite liberating.

I have a 10.8" tablet with LTE which is a phone chipset.

I also have a 6" phone with LTE

So where the phone is useful is a hand-sized pocket-size smaller screen when I’m moving but there are options above and below it already at a lot less cost than $2000.

1 Like

I use Apple watch to take calls sometimes while grocery shopping or weird times when phone falls in the car seat edge, use only the wifi model but lte, this has helped me reduce screentime to some extent…

Price is most important factor…$2000 is quite a lot to Shell… I don’t think I will ever buy it. Getting to convince myself for iPhone X was the greatest great I have done :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You’re describing just using as a bluetooth speaker but you have a phone physically with you.

One can imagine a situation of a phone so huge it cannot fit in your pockets so its a bag-carry / hand-carry only and if you put it down and leave it then the watch works LTE standalone. Hence i can see a hypothetical situation that smartwatches allow phones to become bigger as they don’t have to be an always-with pocket device as the smartwatch is the always-with.

Here is an example of an 8.4" phone , I won’t link to the seller as I don’t want to infer a recommendation, it is just an illustration

Observe the price ~ $300 and you put in a 256GB SD card for $30, pair it with a LTE smartwatch and you have a type of system which solves the pocketability problem in a different way, pros/cons.

1 Like

Have not ventured into Huawei phones / tablets, only Apple devices. How reliable are these? Bloatware? Can Android Vanilla (unmodified) be installed on these?

So I own the 10.8" version of the above, same chipset just different size, with the keyboard.

There is a little bloatware but I found it reliable, updates regularly so is maintained. The 2-3 year life cost is dominated by the network costs so these phone chipsets can use regular phone SIMs, while tablets present as tablet chipsets and need to be a “data” SIM which cost and more restrictive. That sparked my interest.

The smartwatch is different if you’re using as reactive device (to accept calls if you’re away from your phone) then there exist low-cost PAYG incoming-free plans out there.

So yes reliable. It’s an option that exists, different approach to a folding phone to get a larger screen and a lot less cost than $2000.

This is me with my larger version, traveling in UK via Ireland last month, remembering this is a fully capable phone, just large. It was roaming off T-Mobile USA SIM inside so had slow data.

1 Like