Anker SoundCore Motion+ shutdowns while playing on bluetooth

Hi,

I’ve just acquired a motion+ and while streaming songs via bt from my laptop I see that after a while it shutdowns without any notice, which is very annoying.
Using the latest firmware, battery is charged and auto shutdown is set to 30m (although that should be applied only if nothing is playing, which is not the case).

Is anyone experiencing the same issue? Is there a way to solve this or should I exchange the speakers due to some sort of defect?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Normally it shuts down when the battery is empty
or there is no more bt connection.
Are you really sure the battery is charged well?
I got such a motion + and have never mentioned such a strange behaviour.
Sorry I got no other ideas, may be you should contact the support.

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, battery is fully charged and bluetooth is connected - I’m streaming musics via bluetooth and out of the sudden it shutdowns.

If was it for poor bluettoth signal or lack of connectivity I wouldn’t expect it to shutdown, only to be disconnected.

So I guess there’s something wrong with the speaker… definitely not a good start…

1 Like

Note is your laptop on power saving mode? It’s possible the BT stack is being shut down to save power

https://magicutilities.net/magic-keyboard/help/bluetooth-power-saving

I’m using linux, so no power saving mode is switched on.
I’ve also checked and when the speakers disconnects the bluetooth on the laptop is still on.

If the speakers are switched off from the connected devices I would expect the speaker to notify with a sound while it normally does when it switches on/off, no?

But I don’t think this is the case here.

1 Like

Using Linux! Great!
You can take a look at the bt protocol and check if there is any connection to that speaker.

Indeed , LINUX doesn’t shutdown NOTHING, if you don’t want it.
Sorry, You haven’t told that to us before.
“Linuxers” know what they are doing.
Contact the support, please and an enjoy the sunday.:wink:

eheh. Thanks!

How can I contact support directly (bought it through amazon), I’ve tried the https://www.soundcore.com/support but that seems to be down?

1 Like

Why down?
There will be no prompt answer.
Weekend! :grin:

https://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html#commands

Possibly tlp is killing the BT stack

Contact them at service@soundcore.com

One additional thing to try is leaving the speaker plugged in to charge while playing music to see if the speaker still shuts down. If it doesn’t, this would lead me to believe that it is a battery issue.

Thanks everyone for the tips.
It doesn’t seem to be related with the battery since once I change the definitions of the idle inactivity switch off on the application (I can set any timeout it doesn’t matter) and I start to stream musics again via the laptop the speaker no longer shutdowns.
At first glance the problem seems to be related with the inactivity shutdown. Since I’m no longer experiencing issues after the definition on the app is set.
The problem is whenever I switch off the speaker the configuration seems to reset. So I have to reconfigure the inactivity timeout every time I want to stream from the laptop.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Thanks!

So I have the same issue.

The Motion+ is fully charged.
The Motion+ is actively having audio being played
The transmitter is Bluetooth from Linux.

The Motion+ turns itself off every 30 minutes or so. I power it back on, it repeats turning itself off approximately 30 minutes later even though sound is being played through it.

And yes, I have the latest firmware upgraded through the app on phone, as well as reset the Motion+ and deleted pairings.

Workaround? Currently I just press the power button!

I have other non-Soundcore (e.g. Sony, Bose) which connect to the same device and keep going for hours, only the Motion+ suffers this, obviously not a battery issue (press power, it plays for long time) so is thus a bug in the Motion+

Yes, sometimes the motion + does, other speakers do not. (LINUX MINT)
I have to test with another source.

1 Like

I have the same issue here with Linux (Linux Xubuntu18-Srvr-070218 4.15.0-123-generic #126-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 21 09:40:11 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)… I had another older [Anker] speaker where I do not remember ever having the issue…

Tested by playing music through spotify with speaker connected to phone and computer. Previously seen behavior when connected to various computers in my house.

1. Audio through computer:
    If I change the timeout with the app from 60 min to 5 min while connected and listening via computer I see the speaker shutdown (audio through computer, also actively connected to phone with app open).
  2. Turn speaker back on, tell spotify to play through phone:
    Worked as expected but this is a rare usecase for me.
  3. Tell Spotify to play through computer:
    There is no audio whatsoever though the computer and phone still show connected, audio appears to be playing according to my volume mixer, and bluetooth manager shows data being sent to the speaker image
  4. Disconnect and reconnect speaker via bluetooth manager:
    Audio starts playing through speaker but volume is very loud.
  5. Turned audio down with speaker controls:
    Within a second, it turned back up on its own
  6. Turned audio down via the app on phone:
    Volume setting jumped again a few seconds later. May have had something to do with me switching apps on the phone?
  7. Tested this a few times in different ways I didn’t record and saw the same behavior until the new volume configuration just stuck. Stopping and starting play on the computer using the button on the speaker seems to make the volume jump to a higher configuration again…

I have to wonder, has this even been tested by Anker? It’s easily reproducible for me with any number of computers…

Possible Workaround
I’ve futzed around with this for almost an hour and right now the speaker is not turning off. State:

• Connected to computer as headset
  • Connected to phone
  • Audio through computer
  • I’ve used the soundcore button successfully to stop and start audio on the computer

My suspicion is that using the speaker as a headset rather than audio sink is the core to getting this to not turn off. However I think this compromises on quality.

Have you tried resetting the Motion+ to delete all pairings then pair only with Linux laptop? It’s a bit weird about sharing audio.

This failure has been happening since I got the speaker and this is the first time I’ve tested with both the phone and computer paired at the same time (using my desktop, though my work laptop has the same issue. All computers are on similar distros of Linux though the laptop has a much newer kernel as I keep it on 5.x). My headsets I usually have paired with both my phone and whatever computer I am working on so I can receive work calls and this has been the case for the past 5 years without incident. It’s a common feature of quality Bluetooth audio devices, and one I look on the rare occasions I actually have to buy a new one (I try to have one working bluetooth speaker and one working bluetooth noise canceling headset for work).

Don’t pair and connect at the same time, that kills this speaker especially with Linux.

It is not multiconnect, and it accidentally tries it and does it badly.

The speaker connects to both then its basically very unreliable. If you insist on pairing to two devices, then turn bluetooth off / on as you swap. It’s the worst of all Anker products I’ve found for this paired-twice issue.

I get more reliability pairing between two Android devices, they seem to tolerate each other but anything paired with Linux but not be paired with anything else, if you want to not have to re-pair then just disable bluetooth on other device.

I’ve got my Motion+ most reliable with my Linux by resetting and deleting all pairings other than with the Linux laptop. I got my Motion+ for free gift from Soundcore so I’m not complaining, just observing :slight_smile: if you bought it I’d return for refund and get different product, I don’t think the problem is going to be fixed, it’s a pretty mature model and if its fixable they’d have done it by now.

I’ve actually had no issues with multi pairing except for that odd audio blip and if this is in fact not a supported use, that’s fair and I see this accidental multiconnect as a bonus. In this case was just a troubleshooting step for a behavior that is independent of this acci-multiconnect. It’s more important with my headsets than my speaker. I bought it as a cheaper more portable soundbar to use on my computers and projector when watching or listening movies, audiobooks, music, etc as I lost my old soundcore. I’m not super impressed with the audio quality, but I guess it’s worth the 70GBP?

Linux and bt is a mess forever.
What works if you switch on the speaker after about a few minutes.
So it is connecting immediately.