A Visual Storytelling of the iMac from The Verve

It’s hard to believe the iMac is 25!

Remember … CRT monitors? (Who remembers their first flat screen? The joy!)

The Verve did a cool visual (and some words) on the history of the iMac. You can read it here. Then come back and share your favorite iMac memory.

Of all the iMacs, which is your favorite design? Mine has got to be the G4. It’s a lot of people’s favorite, but still, I never had one. It would be so rad if Apple brought that design back in some capacity or if Anker could riff on it and make a mag charger that honored that iconic design.

3 Likes

Seeing the bondi blue G3 in my high school computer class was something to behold. Never could afford one; had to settle for some Gateway computer (cow box anyone)? Nice design, terrible mouse :slight_smile:

I was working with such one

Computer_macintosh_128k%2C_1984_(all_about_Apple_onlus)

Then we decided to acquire ATARI

Of course I had such an IMAC too.
Great computer.

But I loved more such an LENOVO

04_thinkcentre_neo_50a_hero_front_facing_left_kb_mouse_2

Using LINUX! :grin:

4 Likes

One should never use such a “normal mouse”.
Ergonomic ones are a must.

1 Like

I used this one for years until it broke; was great. I went with an MX Master and the (old model) Microsoft Natural keyboard. I’ve got another 30 years of IT work ahead of me, have to save my body.

1 Like

There was an internet cafe at the placed I worked in the early 2000s, which used all PCs except for one Mac: the G3. I thought it was so cool and always tried to get that one when I took my break. I think it was the start of my Mac addiction. :grin:

4 Likes

That Atari takes me back!

I had a Lenovo Yoga for work once. I really, really liked that machine, too. Not the yoga part, exactly. It was just a fine machine.

1 Like

I love this story. Internet cafes. The idea of it cracks me up. Makes me think of foreign travels.

The G3 is iconic. I wanted one, but I was too poor, and probably had no true need for it given that I was in the workforce and home internet access was not ubiquitous.

1 Like

I’ve never felt the need for one. You should start a best mouse thread:)

1 Like

Haha! My mom had a Gateway 2000. She was so proud. The cow box … they’re back now, but only at Walmart I think. Gateway has gone budget. Meanwhile Acer has come out strong.

Always remember the G3 and G4 models from the art and video editing dept in High School in the early 2000’s…one of each…they we the most expensive computers in the place and there was always a race to finish our class work to get to go on them for the last 10-20 minutes of the lesson (no work done, mostly messing with the sounds, video and internet)

Always liked the G4 advert too :joy:

2 Likes

The “just messing around with computers” game was killer in the early aughts. I wonder if kids get to experience that magic today. I guess it would be in the form of 3D printers and maybe Oculus to play Oregon Trail (:joy::joy::joy:)

One will recognize there is a need of such a mouse
when starting to get a “mouse arm” (RSI-Syndrom).
It’s a must to use such an ergonomic mouse
for those working with a mouse daily for a long time .

Why to use?
If one sits on a table resting the hands how is the hand position?
Of course vertical.
When using a normal mouse the position of the hand is horizontal
which is not a normal position for the hand.

When I ordered my first one it cost a fortune.
It looked like a pen.
This is a similar model

Then I found this type

1-wow-pen_full

Unfortunately this type is not produced any more.
I still have one and use it from time to time.

In the last few years many companies designed similar models like this from Anker.

One should never forget to use an ergonomic mouse pad.
That means there is a special cushion added to create a kind of rest for the wrist.

images

There are many around often from bad quality.

I’ve used computers since 1979, and in early 80s you had to buy the parts and build your own to get something cheap.

By 1980 I was posting punch cards to the mainframe 20 miles away and took a week to run a program.

By 1983 I had a reasonable personal computer at home and used a Commodore Pet at school.

Once Apple began they were already expensive so to be avoided. I’ve always avoided as they offer no value to someone who’s been building computers since before the Apple engineer was born.

By the mid 90s I was using a self built PC with Linux.

Currently I’ve been given a Dell laptop which is sluggish so I’ve made it dual boot and running Ubuntu 22.04

2 Likes

@professor

I am the really neanderthaler here! :grin:
I started programming ALGOL 60 using punched tapes in 1975.

What beautiful programming languages we used.
ALGOL 60, FORTRAN, COBOL!

LINUX : UBUNTU !:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Proficient COBOL is still high in demand in certain applications; the money some of these contractors can make is quite crazy.

3 Likes

I know. And the puzzle is I’ve yet to find anything which takes more than 2 weeks to learn.

So if you want that good money just buy a COBOL book and then apply for the job.

However due the progressive tax system there’s little point in working full time as after about 40 days your net daily rate halves. You can put most of it onto pension but even that has a cap, so those needed old coders don’t want to work more than 1/3rd of year.

I’m still involved with some FORTRAN but currently mostly Linux shell scripts.

1 Like

Your are absolutely right!

Regarding COBOL.
There are still COBOL-programs used for some special applications.
eg. banks
Some of these programs are very old and still working.
So COBOL programmers are still needed and good paid.

I don’t understand why there’s a shortage of any programmers. It’s not difficult to learn any language. I was taught Fortran in a short semester and most of it was learning algorithms (e.g. how to sort). The syntax takes days/week to learn. I taught myself C in 2 weeks.

So i’m left thinking it’s either fear, or just fact kids can’t seem to learn something their peers told them is boring?

There’s an English saying “where’s there’s a will, there’s a way” so when someone speaks of no way I quietly know they actually have no will.

1 Like