A Visual Storytelling of the iMac from The Verve

If one understands how an algorithm works ones can learn every imperative language easily.
More difficult is to understand logical rf functional programming.

And last not least, what is a need to understand how a computer works
is to know assembler.

And the really high art is, if one can read machine code instructions.
But knowing about assembler code its not so difficult.

Here is a photo of “Mama COBOL” (Grace Hopper)

Grace_Hopper

1 Like

I didn’t have enough money in early 80s to learn Assembler.

So I learned machine code.

That meant I had to learn the microprocessor, how many registers it had then plan how to use them all, load, store, add, multiply, etc. I was typing code in hexadecimal.

Only way you could code, say, a computer game, with only 8KB of RAM. We also had computer magazines where people had posted their own code, and you’d hand type in the hexadecimal.

So Assembler is even easier, and COBOL even easier. So I fail to see why anyone should complain poor income jobs when in a few weeks you can learn a high paid skill. Just need the will.

Logical thinking, breaking down something complex to a set of simple steps so a computer can do something, is not a computer specific skill, it’s a life skill, and the kids should be taught it. And if you can think logically, you can think critically, and if you can think critically you can be skeptical, and if you’re skeptical you’re almost immune to liars. If you’re immune to liars then you know where to invest time which makes money, and then know where to invest that money.

spock-eyebrows

1 Like

You should take a look at functional and logical programming languages.
Not often used.
But great to play around , after one understood.
When I retired all was in JAVA this time.
Funny was programming parallel processes.

Now its more PHP I read.

But what is really good and tough is C and C++
This is a must for a computer engineer of today

1 Like