We need a range extender for the cameras to the homebase

We need a range extender to increase the distance from the cameras and sensors to the homebase. The camera range on my units is OK, but not great. My furthest is less than 50 feet and has a very unstable connection, a range extender would help a lot.

1 Like

We are coming out with a Range Extender in Q1 of 2019. Keep your eyes peeled!

5 Likes
2 Likes

They have already stated a range extender is coming Q1 2019

1 Like

If you have an old router you sometimes can make it work as an extender.

That is great news, I had not seen this.

So here we are in the 2nd quarter of 2019. Where’s the range extender?

1 Like

+1, very good question, n33d that too!
(got 12 meters max range in downtown, sucks hard!)

1 Like

Now I don’t feel so bad (12 meters really?!?!?) but for my outdoor cameras the range drops dramatically probably due to wall structure I’d guess. Not only that but I’ve seen buffering/connectivity issues with anything other than a full strength signal. Even one bar less than full and I struggle to receive a consistent stream from my Alexa devices or even the app. Very choppy if it even connects at all sometimes.

Absolutely! That’s correct. And just with one concrete wall in between, that’s all. And even this camera, from time to time, looses connection. So this 12 meters is the absolute maximum in my case. I heared same from several other people during/after the kickstarter campaign.

It depends extremely if you are downtown with thousands of people, networks, mobile phones, wlan, houses, traffic, and so on … or if you live on the countryside with the next human beeing 2 km away.

I installed one of my several homebases and starter kits at a friends house “on the butt of the world” and he hasn’t got any of the problems with the range i got.

But i just can’t move my house from downtown to badass countryside just to be able to use eufy cam … :open_mouth: I have several more cams waiting to be installed and doing its job, but therefore i badly need those range extenders or eufy to improve the range by firmware.

But the promised range by sure is only possible under perfect cicumstances. Which most of us won’t have.

Yeah I’m aware that things typically won’t be as advertised when it comes to tech specs but that’s a little crazy! I’m in a rural/suburban type area myself so I have neighbors close by just not all packed in a high rise like you’d see in a downtown setting. I’m more disappointed in the quality of service in less than perfect conditions than anything else. I feel like one bar less than a full signal should still perform pretty well.

1 Like

@AnkerOfficial @AnkerTechnical
Any idea where is the range extenders?

1 Like

And what will the price be? And may backers from kickstarter with massively range problems in downtown settings will get at least one for free?!

2 Likes

Hey message #5

Use an old router, you can get them free or not far off free, and follow the repeater guides, e.g.

So remember that electromagnetic energy drops to the square of distance (it’s actually to the cube but at shorter range the directional antennae makes it more to the square.

So to not scare you with maths:

• suppose you had to get a signal to 10 meters away but it was feeble, well that is 1/100th the strength of 1 meter away
  • at 5 meters away its 4 times stronger than 10 meters away
  • so place a repeater at 5 meters from base router, it re-transmits so your 10 meters at 1/100th of 1 meter is then 1/25th, 4x stronger.
1 Like

This is great @professor
However, eufycam uses a proprietary wireless signal to connect cameras to Home Base. Home Base is connected to the internet router via Ethernet.
So the range issues is mainly to the cameras from Home Base. Hence eufy stated some time ago that they are working on launching range extenders to increase the wireless range between eufy cameras and Home Base.
Internet Router and its wireless signal range/strength is completely out of this picture.

I do agree with your other idea that using a concave dish like metal object near the Home Base may boost signal in the direction you desired to.have.

1 Like

That is 100% correct!

1 Like

Hi @AnkerSupport, please confirm timeline. I noted in the most recent product roadmap you had, it appears the range extender has dropped off. Is that correct? With such a short range, this is a real drawback of the product which would otherwise be spot on. Please look at this as a matter of priority.

1 Like

The more networks, bluetooth , dab, etc. the more walls etc, the less the range is.
The power of transmission power is limited by law.

1 Like

True. But some times we cannot avoid it. People have to live in downtown for a reason. Lucky me to be able to manage to shift to a suburban neighborhood.

1 Like

It 's not possible for everyone to live at this place he wants to.
So you are really lucky and should enjoy it at all.