Why you shouldn't want performance in a portable charger

Following on from why you’d not want a digital display with % capacity

Now why you shouldn’t want performance in a portable charger.

All Lithium based cells are making a movement of ions physically between an positive and negative terminal through a medium which weakens the resulting electromagnetic field. The medium acts to increase the total stored energy as the molecules of the medium become stretched (like stretching an elastic band).

The ions physically move within the cell through a medium. Over time this movement forms crystals in the medium which produces stronger bonds which fight the “elastic band”.

So over time less energy can be stored.

This crystallisation process is faster when the medium is warmer.

Also as a cell discharges it gives out lower peak performance.

So what this means collectively is:

• the more you demand performance the faster you age cells.
  • the more you demand performance the lower energy you can get out as the cell becomes unable or deliver a higher performance.
  • higher performance causes more heat so accelerates the ageing process.
  • slower is better.

The above may sound theoretical and indirect but it’s real. Take a look at an example one of the Anker Powercore which supports higher Wattage.

Recommendations:

• buy the slowest portable charger for your desired purpose.
  • often there’s a faster port and a slower port. Try to prefer the slower port unless in a hurry.

Personally I prefer to own multiple Anker Powercore, I rotate between them, I’ve got a still working 6 year old 26800, all going strong. My last major gadget investment was a Chromebook which does keep charged from my oldest Powercore.

5 Likes

WOW! This is such a great article! Very informative and detailed. Thank you so much for writing this! I feel like I need to show this to a ton of people I know that don’t understand the concepts of how to charge their device or use their chargers for longer and more efficient lifespans.

2 Likes

There’s a reason you should avoid higher Wattage portable chargers (above) and no reason you’d seek one.

By definition the portable charger is with you, so you don’t have to deliberately wait til your device is nearly flat and then connect a portable charger seeking fast charging. If instead you connected a slower one earlier.

1 Like