Which powerport?

Heya. I’m setting up a travel tech bag for a road trip ahead and I’m looking at smart power solutions.
Here’s what I will be bringing with me that requires charging:
1 samsung s10+ phone
1 matebook 13 laptop
1 powercore 26800
1 galaxy earbuds

Is it optimistic to think that a single wall plug would be enough to charge all these at once? I’m guessing the laptop would be the biggest issue? I’m not too worried about charging speed, as I figure I’ll plug them all in at hotels before I go to bed, and I don’t see me getting into a situation where I’ll run out of battery on the devices even if the powerbank isn’t full charged in the morning.

I guess it could work with a 3 port one for the powercore, phone and earbuds, and I could bring my laptop charger as well. It’d be really convenient and save bag space to just have to bring 1 wall plug though.

Any tips for a good powerport for this set up? Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

This would work for you. It has 4 standard USB ports, with makers IQ technology (first gen), and one USB-C PD charging port, that you could charge your laptop with.

Will this product work for you?

1 Like

Looks nice! Thank you.
Question, what’s the difference between using a USB C => USB C connection compared with using a USB A => C one? Will the laptop charge quicker with a C to C connection in comparison to a A to C one? (Just thinking about avoiding cord clutter as it’d be 1 less cord to bring if I could do everything with USB A=>C)

This is the equivalent I find in swedish stores: https://www.mobilladdaren.se/anker-powerport-plus-5-usbc-pd-mobilladdare
Sorry for the swedish text, but does anyone know from the picture alone if it’s comparable with the one linked above?

2 Likes

There actually won’t be a difference, in this specific case. I was assuming you needed a C to C charging setup, which is why I suggested that one. You can use this charger instead if you don’t need the USB-C port.

https://www.mobilladdaren.se/anker-powerport-5-mobilladdare-med-5-uttag

That’s the link to the same product on the website you are using. If you decide to go for the powerport with the USB-C port (which could be convenient later on), then the link you provided above is correct.

Let me know what you decide to do!

1 Like

So it’ll charge at the same speed regardless?

If so, I’m assuming getting the one with a C port is more about future proofing as we’re going more and more towards USB C becoming the standard for everything?

Thank you again, sorry I’m a bit lost when it comes to all this.

Edit: I’ll probably go for the first one, as it has 4 ports USB A ports anyways so I won’t need to bring a C to C charging cable on trips, but it might be a nice thing to have when I’m using it around home.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct. It would just be a future proof basically.

Hope you enjoy this product! I have the powerport 5 (second link I provided) and I love it! I didn’t expect to like it as much as I do! I’m sure you’ll love it too!

That would not work to charge his laptop as the matebook requires a 60w charger, can’t say it won’t trickle charge it but most 60w laptops require a minimum of 45w to enable charging even at the slower speed. At the very least they would have to bring the charger for the laptop and use a hub for their other devices.

1 Like

On really? I thought it had to be much lower than that (5w) to no longer be able to charge…

I’m very sorry for providing false information…

5w to charge a laptop? Your kidding me right? As the @professor found his laptop would not charge with anything below 45w either so you got to find the right charger or just use the stock charger to charge it. Luckily for the OP, his laptop charges via Usb-C, so he can get a higher power outlet charger but he won’t be able to charge all his devices at one time with just that 1 charger

2 Likes

I’d say there is about a 50-50 chance it will charge with 30W. Obviously it won’t be as fast as the original charger, but you definitely won’t want to use a USB-A port.

As others have said, the biggest challenge is your laptop. A quick search implies you need a 45W USB-PD port for your laptop.

So what you probably can do is consolidate this down to 2 chargers, one for your laptop and one for everything else, so a Powerport 4 for example + the Anker 60W PD charger.

Possibly eventually Anker will make something which can do it all but its not really there yet. Anker shipped, suspended, and may be shipping again, the Atom PD 4 which probably can output 45W but that charger is $99 and physically larger than two chargers.

I own this and it works as a general purpose charger, it is 60W, my laptop is 45W, so what I can do is get by just with the one charger and use my laptop’s USB A ports to recharge slowly my non-PD devices, so concurrent slow charging, or charge my other devices directly one at a time so non-concurrent faster charging.

I own this but it did not work with my laptop, which needed 45W and this output 30W. So it’s not a given what you want exists.

1 Like

You got the buds? You lucky bugger… I just keep getting… Sorry another delay, sorry another delay… GGGRRR :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

You want a decent charger with multiple outputs (desktop chargers don’t have to be on a desktop!) It would cope with all three at the same time, or one of the extension leads.

That way, the usbs will charge the products, while the power socket will power the lappy.

What color did you get for the S10+?

I got green, so getting (when they finally arrive) white buds… I’d have loved the yellow ones.

I got confirmed for the buds on the 19th march… Well past the sodding 30 days!

To.me, all this apple white is crap. Why be boring, white is the cheapest colour to make (which is why apple do it), and everyone else does white to copy them. Cos (apparently) everyone wants to pretend it’s an apple product… Not me

Passed out as soon as I got home from work this morning so forgot to check in here, but:

Thanks for the replies, seems I was a bit optimistic in hoping I’d be able to get everything I wanted/needed in 1 plug!
I guess I’ll wait and see when the matebook arrives next week, if I can get it to charge with other lower W chargers, even if it’s a slower charge, I’ll probably get the 5 port with usb C 30w one, if not I’ll get a cheaper 3~ plug one for the other stuff and just have to bring my laptop charger with me as well.

Professor: Thanks for the links and details! Although in that case I’d just bring my laptop charger with me since I’ll be lugging along 2 chargers anyways!

And yes, luckily I only had a few days off issues with the buds claim, and then they got shipped to me within a few weeks, really love them to be honest. As I have a very physical work where I lift a lot of stuff I keep getting earphone cords tangled and ripped, so these have been a blessing.

I got the white version of the phone! I don’t care about the apple vs the rest of the world war. White’s simply the best of the s10 colors for hiding fingerprints which is key for me. (Although within a few weeks I got a standing cover for it for handsfree media consumption at work breaks so never really see the backside anymore)

I’d had loved to get the green version but they didn’t offer that color in the US. I went with the prism white. Adn I also got the white earbuds. I asked about getting the black ones instead but they said no :cry:

I was going to mention the Matebook Charge but @Tank got to it first. But other than that I think your setup will work.

I’m thinking about getting the i7 Matebook Pro please let us know what your thoughts on it when you get or message me after you play with for a while. :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late reply, took a while to get the laptop!
Had it for a week or so now and I’m really happy with it. The upgrade from an old 1366x768 13" to this one was… Yeah it’s like day and night. Other than that there were a few things that took me some days to get used to, didn’t like the touchpad at all at first but I do think the Pro version has a different one - although I’ve come to like this one, the size is a big plus in my book.

Also update on charging: I can charge the laptop with a samsung s10 phone charger, as well a with my anker 26800 powerbank. While using it it only keeps my battery steady, no drain or increase, but if I leave it overnight it’ll have it charged up to 100%, so I’m guessing it’ll be something like that with the powerport as well, and that’s definitely good enough for a travel charger for me personally.

Unusual for a Mac Android collection. Most often/usual is Mac Mac (no not me :wink:) or Android Android/Windows combo.

It’s rare to see someone with one of each. Esp as integration has got to be a bit harder work.