What should I do when powerbank dies?

I own Anker PowerCore Essential A1281H11 and it served me well for almost two years of use. Now it’s barely holds any charge and today I noticed it kinda feels expanded a bit.
So is there a risk of fire hazard if I don’t drop it in a battery recycling bin sooner? How I can store batteries at home safely?

1 Like

There’s usually a battery drop-off place nearby, find yours and take it there.

Do not put in the general trash, as if water gets to it you’ll increase chance something unsafe which could hurt a waste collection worker or damage machinery.

2 Likes

You will find spots in supermarkets etc. were you can leave these.

NEVER DROP ANY BATTERIES IN THE HOUSEHOLD TRASH, PLEASE:

2 Likes

Frustrating part of my neck of the woods is that my city does not accept batteries. Nor do they recycle any electronic equipment.

The surrounding cities require you to be a resident of that city/county so that isn’t an option. Recycling electronic and batteries really needs to be easier in the states.

2 Likes

You could ask the administration of your city why they don’t.
I am not a “green” but this is absolutely not acceptable.

2 Likes

I just checked the site again. I stand corrected; policy changed just a couple months ago: You can now recycle batteries & E-Waste in my town; however it is 0.05 (5 cents USD) per pound with a $15.00 MINIMUM charge.
I’ve got probably 30 lbs of old computers/laptops/batteries that need recycled, I’ll probably just store it for another few years to make it worth my while. However, if people are going to have to pay $15 to properly dispose of a single $15 rechargable battery/cable/sdcard then that is going to end up in the landfill. Guaranteed.

2 Likes

Stealing money from Citizens this City-administration is even better and “inventive”
that those in Germany. :grin:
What a kind of nonsense!

This recycling is free here in München.
Even the bulky waste .
Many spots here. in the city.
Next one is about 5 min by car from our house.

Only one thing to say.
Its incredible how many good and usable things are shredded there.
I am an after war child, so I am really confused about this.

2 Likes

If I want to make a difficult change I write to the wannabe next elected official who I use to shame the incumbent.

Sitting officials already on the gravy train are useless but a decent threat of being fired gets them to act.

2 Likes

It’s a lot easier for me to just complain on the internet to strangers, but this may be something I complain about to officials.

4 Likes

Make agreeing with you their easiest option.

Otherwise known as nagging.

Find a cute animal and stand in front of it with the local opposition candidate and make out the lack of recycling will harm the cute animal. Hedgehogs, a puppy, kittens, usually work. Photo op and local newspapers do the rest…

Become the clickbait.

1 Like

Thank you, thank you, thank you for pointing this out.

1 Like

This is a great question!

I wish I had a better presentation, but this link on power bank disposal from the US Environmental Protection Agency will have to do.

In short, don’t toss it in the household trash. There’s a risk of it being crushed by equipment, and that’s a fire hazard (at a minimum, I suppose).

Instead, find a certified battery recycling place.

I live in North America, and I collect batteries in a box and then drive them to my city’s recycling center (along with other hard-to-recycle items). I also take used laptops and other appliances to Best Buy, where I can just drop in and set it on a shelf by the door before being sucked into the tech wonders I’m so drawn to. I think, too, that any battery-centered retailer like Batteries + will recycle them for free, too.

Great question. Thanks for asking @Likon

2 Likes

Didn’t think of places like batteries +, good idea.

1 Like

Well, when you have as much open space as we do in NA, particularly in the American West, a sad reality of trash is “out of sight, out of mind.”

I marvel at the things people throw into the landfill here. The landfill is very near capacity now, too. I mean, recycle? Don’t buy it? Give it away? Think before you buy … where does this go when it’s dead to me?

I’m not perfect with this at all, but still, I marvel at the things people throw in the landfill here.

1 Like

Go! Fight! Win!

100 percent agree.

I learned a couple years ago that my city will recycle plastic film. It’s just not part of the single-stream curbside pickup service. So now I drive that useless fluff to the recycling center. I roll my eyes every time. Petroleum on top of petroleum …

It’s me. I’m the problem.