What do green lights (and supposedly yellow and red) mean on an PowerCore+ 26800 PD 45W w/ PowerPort Atom 3 60W?

Like the title says I have a PowerCore+ 26800 PD 45W w/ PowerPort Atom 3 60W recharge bank and I clicked the light twice after pressing it once and it has a green light? Is there other colors too? If so, what they mean in terms of battery? The green light came on at what looks to be 30% (3 white lights) could someone explain this to me?

1 Like

I don’t own this specific product but it sounds like many other Powercore.

If you double-tap the power button it enables trickle charge mode which makes light go green. Double-tap again to disable it. Trickle charge is to recharge low power items, because the default of a Powercore is to turn itself off when the power draw is low, like you see when a low power item is nearly fully charged, such as bluetooth earbuds. Trickle charge mode keeps charging rather than stop.

So the green light when on means it will not give the full power charge and give it a lower charge for devices that don’t support PD? If ok trickle charger and is charging a device, will it shit off all lights when finished? Or will it keep putting power into the device?

So the background is that the electronics inside the Powercore waste the stored energy when on. So when the current level drops to a low level at the port the Powercore turns itself off.

Most devices are fully charged at this threshold.

But a few devices, typically small flashlights, small earbuds, are not quite fully charged at this threshold. So trickle charge more avoids this.

So you don’t need this mode most of the time. The way to find out is if the device can report it’s charge level, typically via having a different colour light and the Powercore stops output before the colour light change. Look for devices which don’t indicate they are fully charged before they show the power input has stopped. For example suppose some earbuds had a red light when being charged, and turns blue when fully charged, and no light when not being charged, if they went from red to off and didn’t go red to blue to off, then they need trickle charge more and you wait til the blue light.

Make sense?

The green LED means the trickle-charging mode is on. That mode is specially designed for small devices, like Bluetooth earbuds. It will turn back to blue if you press the button once again. And rese assured you can still charge other devices properly in the trickle-charging mode.

This is a really good answer, @professor … and I know it’s years old now. I hope you’re still contributing to this community. Signed, the new community manager.

1 Like