What Are Your Camera / Photography Preferences?

In light of what Anker mentioned during the recent ‘Meet The Community’ giveaway about the possibility of an upcoming community giveaway revolving around photography, I was wondering what preference you community members have when taking your little ‘frozen in time’ memories;

• are you more old school with a proper camera whether it be compact, DSLR or older :grin:?
  • on the go snapping with your mobiles or iPads?
  • are you mainly focused on camera branding or how many megapixels you have?
  • or so on…

Myself, I jump between my iPhone 6s which more than covers my on the go snaps to, from and including work but when on my jollies it’s a Sony DSC-HX60V compact. The optical zoom and 20MP more than cover my needs.

5 Likes

They say the best camera is the one you have with you! While I used to have a dedicated digital camera, I almost never had it with me. So my favorite camera ends up being my iPhone. :smile:

3 Likes

I’m fully of the “best camera is the one you have with you” lot.
So that is partially why I bought the Pixel phone.
My “real” camera is a Panasonic GX7. Mirror less, micro four thirds so is the size of a large compact camera. So it does come most places with me without being to cumbersome.
I’ve a few lenses with it and enjoy the hobby.

The main reason I went with the micro four thirds format is mostly due to me having rather small hands. Most full DSLR cameras are simply to big and unweildy for me to use on a day to day basis.

4 Likes

I’m not such a great Photographer, but i know a lot about it and take my Nikon D3300 with me whenever i go on trips.

3 Likes

My husband and I love going down to the beach and everywhere with our cameras. He shoots with the Nikon 7000 with a 70-200mm f/2.8G lens. And I shoot with either my Nikon 800 with the 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, or lens baby…depending on how much I want to weigh myself down. :stuck_out_tongue: Yes, that’s a lot of gear but we like to experiment. It’s a hobby of ours to “collect” memories. Other times, I’ll just carry around my Nikon P7800 and a GoPro Hero5 Black, mounted on top. And other times, when I really want to go very light, my trusty iPhone 6s is always by me. Whatever we carry with us, being able to get a shot is key. Unfortunately, Mac, our chihuahua (the little guy in my avatar) has learned to hide when he sees me bring out the camera(s). LOL. Overall, like some have mentioned, “the best camera is the one you have with you.” Now, getting the pictures home and doing something with it, is a whole different story. Hahaha.

3 Likes

For the majority of the time (average day) I have to admit so am I but when on vacation (or where quality is important) I certainly prefer a proper camera and with the size of the DSC-HX60V it easily clips onto my backpack housing the all important water (and a few snack bars).

Ah, the good old Nikon’s. Had a D40X model a few years ago with various lenses 18-55, 55-200 and a 300mm. Just never used it to it’s full potential, well that and the fact that dragging the lenses (and other gubbin’s) around not knowing what I wanted to shoot was a pain in the backside sometimes :grin:

1 Like

I got a canon 70d

4 Likes

I second that!!! I guess that’s why a lot of people I know, especially tourists, tend to carry a zoom lens.

1 Like

I am a Canon man. My brother in law is in the professional photography / filmer world, so I get to play with all his fun lenses. I have a Canon 7D. Also just got a DJI drone! So excited about getting some different shots.

2 Likes

Nice post, I can’t wait to see all of you in the photo contest this week!:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

My Uncle is the same, every camera I’ve seen him with is always a Canon, his currently being a 70d model. Good image quality and colour rendering (at least on the photos I’ve seen him take with it once the dust has been removed :wink:)

2 Likes

I have an 80D and my trusty ole gal a Canon F1 film camera. Gotta love that vintage grain you can only naturally achieve with film! Both of which I use pretty regulary. :grin:

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with doing things the old fashioned way my friend :grin:

Colour and detail produced from the 80d on some sample images I’ve seen do look truly stunning…

1 Like

I had Canon SLR’s back in the 1980’s and now I’ve got a couple of Canon DSLR . Yes I use my phone for photos occasionally, but most of the time I have the camera with me

2 Likes

Yeah the 80D produces some stunning images thats for sure. Truly a great camera given its price as well.

I have a Sony A6000 with a 16-70mm F4, 70-200m F4, and 50mm F1,8. Pretty much all the lenses you need!

You can check out what i film with it on my youtube page - https://www.youtube.com/user/evilras

Not a huge amount yet! but i’m getting there!

It’s already Wednesday night, and I’m not seeing a post about it…

You have to be patient!:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Haha I am!

Then stop asking… :joy:

1 Like