We want to hear your ideas for our new lithium-polymer power bank!

Hi Anker Fans,

Since joining the community, we’ve spent loads of time reading your feedback and suggestions. Your support and ideas mean a lot to us, so keep on sharing!

Today we’d like to hear your thoughts on a future power bank. Currently, there are 2 types of batteries on the market: Lithium-ion batteries and lithium-polymer batteries. We’re focusing on the latter today.

Lithium-polymer batteries are innovative because the shape of the battery polymer can be changed, and this means we can produce a more lightweight power bank.

Have any of you used our first 10K polymer power bank, PowerCore II Slim 10000? And if you have, what do you think of it?

We are planning the second generation of polymer power banks, so if you have any good ideas or suggestions, feel free to share your thoughts with us.

Thanks!

AnkerTechnical

13 Likes

Hi @AnkerOfficial, I haven’t had or used a Slim Powerbank but would like one in the future. I’ve got an iPhone 7 Plus and the size is similar so would sit nicely on top of it etc.

I was wondering if there was any scope to add a magnet to one side. So your phone would stick to it. It would help when trying to hold both the phone and powerbank. You could even stick the powerbank to a metallic surface when out and about if needed.

5 Likes

Wasn’t your first polymer battery the Powercore 5000 Slim?

At the smaller end like the Mini I would offer with including a fold up connector cable in the 3 common types.

I would also offer a torch which outputs power.

Refresh the Powerhouse. Make it an any to any Voltage so it can use an solar panel and use assorted output shapes to power laptop.

Smaller lighter Fusion.

3 Likes

I definitely like the idea of smaller, flatter power banks! The one thing I do not like about lithium-ion batteries is the fact that they degrade over a couple years even if you don’t use them. Is the longevity improved with lithium-polymer?

5 Likes

I wonder how a PD powerbank would stack with LiPo, probably too thick xD

1 Like

I haven’t used the PowerCore II Slim 10000, but I would very much like to!

The key to a great power bank is, I believe, portability. And by that I don’t mean just the size, but the form factor as well. There are two design influences to keep in mind: the device the power bank will charge, and the bags the power banks will be transported in. And, of course, the way we use the power banks plays a great role also. Here are some ideas:

• If you make a power bank slim enough to fit with a smartphone inside a pouch - such as the shoulder strap pouch in many backpacks today, for instance - it would certainly get the attention of a lot of people.

• Another small nice addition would be a “connector lock” for people who like to charge the devices while using it and sometimes pull the charging cable out while moving. This is even more valid with the shorter USB-C connectors.

• Getting back to the size, you don’t necessarily need to manufacture multiple sizes of the product if you create custom “cases” that make the power bank fit the size and shape of a particular device. Maybe even a snapping function to keep the device and the power bank perfectly aligned - which could possibly allow for wireless charging. The idea of the snapping function would have to consider both people who use cases on their smartphones and those who don’t.

• Multiple outputs, depending on the capacity - we all have that one friend whose phone is always dying, don’t we?

There’s more ideas where those came from :sunglasses: And if you guys need someone to beta test those new babies, I’m in!

4 Likes

I would suggest adding a small flashlight. It is useful, especially for small, portable battery pack.

1 Like

I personally have the Slim 10000 and while I like the thinner design in general, it’s actually larger and heavier (only by 7%, but still) than the PowerCore II 10000, but the power is the same.

So does lithium-polymer mean thinner but less efficient use of space? If that’s the case, not sure I’m sold.

Also, why is the PowerCore II Slim 10000 more expensive than the PowerCore II 10000? The PowerCore II 10000 is newer, and the one with upgraded materials and an 8-LED power wheel. They both have PowerIQ 2.

Assuming what @nigelhealy stated is true (Slim 5000 is also polymer), this doesn’t appear to be an isolated incident.

Look at the PowerCore 5000 vs PowerCore Slim 5000.

In both cases, there’s a 26-67% increase in price!

It all sounds good at first glance, but the more I look into it, the easier it is to see the major disadvantages.

But IF those can be overcome…
Then I would love one model to be around 10000mAh and have Power Delivery via USB-C! I think it would be ideal to have 2 PD ports in a larger power bank (say 15-20k) but not so sure about 10k. So maybe that port can be used for input and output and throw in 1 PowerIQ 2 USB-A port.

Now that would be pretty cool. As long as it’s not limited by the polymer tech in terms of dimensions, weight, and cost.

Oh, and PLEASE don’t release any more power banks with micro-B input. You already have plenty up for sale for those still hanging on.

2 Likes

My favorite battery charger… that’s why I’ve purchased 3 already

1 Like

Structurally speaking the thinner (less like a sphere) the weaker it becomes. Imagine how the contents of the egg would be easier to emerge if it was made a pancake shape rather than closer to a sphere. The surface area goes up as a ratio of the volume the less like a sphere so for say a given thickness of material you have more total volume and weight the less-spherical it becomes but given it is also getting weaker you have to thicken up. So that means in total for a given less of force (pressure) you must have progressively more expense weight volume the thinner the shape.

Thermally it is the opposite which helps performance, the less spherical it is the more the surface area per volume and radiation by conduction convection radiation can occur faster so you can drive the Lithium harder.

So pick your problem. IF you want speed for a given amount of Lithium you want a slab. If you want least weight volume for a given amount of Lithium you want it close to a sphere.

The Powercore 26800, 10000, 13000 are closer to spheres. The II are less spherical.

1 Like

BRING BACK THE FLASHLIGHT ON ALL PORTABLE BATTERIES. :blush:

5 Likes

Li-po batteries in general cost more to manufacture so most items using them would cost more. Add in aditional tech and the cost keeps increasing

@AnkerOfficial are the batteries being used true lithium Polymer batteries or are they really lithium Ion Polymer batteries that are just in a more flexible casing? The later would mean we can have smaller sizes but similar power output as what’s currently used. Otherwise, Li-Po batteries will require a bit more thickness and weight in order to achieve the same output as lithium ion batteries.

What I would like to see is a small notebook size powerbank. Similar to the case that the current PowerPack comes in, it would have multiple outputs as well as PD and an emergency flashlight/strobe built in. Something this size could easily exceed a 30k capacity, and can have ports to even add the cables so it can be used as a jump pack as well. The pack will be flat in size so it can easily be stored in a glovebox or carried in a briefcase or bag. I can go into additional details if you like…

2 Likes

Actually mophie makes a PD power bank that uses LiPo. Its a little smaller than the PD banks that Anker makes.

I would love to see an Anker branded PD LiPo bank.

1 Like

What about a wallet wireless charging power bank

I think this could be a good idea but tell battery size would severely be limited due to the small size. In my opinion Something like this would be good for an emergency use only.

1 Like

But their LiPo are 18650, Anker refers to flat cells that are used for drones n stuff.

1 Like

I would say thin and light would be nice. I have a heavy 16000 mAh that has an all aluminum cas (another brand sent me one to test) and I’ve used some of the larger Anker battery packs and they are heavy and when I am out backpacking or hiking with my photo gear I normally have my camera batteries and cell phone (running GPS tracking programs and spotify) plugged and charging. Carrying two of those older heavier batteries add weight.

I’ve been looking at getting one of the slim lines and if Anker were to make more of the light weight models I would wait until they came out.

Personally I’d welcome the death of micro/mini /whatever it is usb to charge the Powerbanks. Usb c for charging please.

I do find I am using my little lipstick style chargers more and more. They are a great size to slip into a pocket, and I can easily attach them to my airsoft gun when powering my gopro.

1 Like

I’m probably in the minority on this, but I like color options. Sometimes I just want something other than black.