USB-C to Lightning future

I have not decided to get this cable yet. I been adopting wireless charging and started to like it a lot. For iPhone users and deal with the pain of not knowing what Apple is doing next its hard to invest in some stuff(multiple docking speakers with 30-pin connection) So I wonder if Apple will decide to go USB-C for the next iPhone? Macs and iPad already adopted USB-C. I understand the charging advantage but should we just wait? Please let me know what you guys think.

2 Likes

I think there’s a good chance Apple will go straight to USB-4…

Article

2 Likes

I am in the same boat bro! I still need to get a couple of lightning cables but I would prefer USB-C

1 Like

Is this what you want?

I think they will stick to lighting for their next phone. Maybe a year or two from now they will switch to something else

1 Like

Yes, but make it 6Ft and I’ll make that purchase. Don’t need any 3Ft cables at the moment.

1 Like

No one here (or anywhere who isn’t under an NDA) knows for sure. I’ve seen convincing supply chain reports (aka rumors from known good sources) stating both Lightning will stay and USB-C is coming. We won’t know until closer to the new iPhone announcements this fall. Maybe not until the Apple event itself.

Worth noting Apple released a new iPad Air today. It still has Lightning. Only the Mac laptops and iPad Pro are using USB-C. Those all have greater power draw requirements than Lightning provides for.

Economically I think they’ll stick with Lightning. iPhone sales are down and won’t come back up. Apple has found the price ceiling and will have to stay at or under it. Their market in China isn’t going to increase in the short term. Simply put, they will be making less money from iPhones for the foreseeable future. They need to make up that revenue, and their plan is to do that with services. The Lightning port is a source of revenue. Anker and anyone else using it has to pay Apple a licensing fee. Going to open source USB-C loses that revenue. Unless Apple thinks they can make more selling new USB-C accessories to their customers. But only so many customers will buy from Apple rather than Amazon.

If wireless charging handles your needs stick with that. Qi charging isn’t going anywhere on the iPhone line. FWIW Anker’s USB-C to Lightning cable isn’t really expensive, even if used for 6 months to fast charge. And you could include it with your old iPhone when you sell it to get back a few dollars.

1 Like

I agree with everything except the last part. It won’t do any good to give away the USB-C to Lightning cable since you also need to trow in the USB-C charger.

1 Like

Hi,

I wonder when Anker will release a cable USB-C to Lightning? There is one with some adapters, but I don’t like them.
For my MacBookPro I wish Anker would introduce a USB-C to Lightning 1,8m space grey cable so I can connect my Apple Space Grey keyboard to it when I need.

cheers
P.S.: also willing to be a friendly user / product tester.

@Volker_Kramer They released one beginning of Feb…

2 Likes

Thanks ndalby,

checked it and … “This item does not ship to Germany” ahhhh, noooooo

Hope they bring them up soon and if possible in the style of the
Anker Powerline+ II iPhone cable 1,8m il Nylon, MFi black or space grey !!

cheers