USB-C audio products

• Anker should make USB-C buds
  • Anker does not need to make USB-C buds

0 voters

I stumbled on this review today

This is Sony product, not Anker, and has USB-C.

Whenever we challenge in this community for Anker to make USB-C products we typically hear the customer is wrong because we customers want MicroUSB.

Hoping Sony shames Anker into making USB-C products. One cable to rule them all!

How bothered are you about Anker’s glacial support of USB-C?

3 Likes

I’d like to see them make the transition, but I really don’t have a good reason why. USB-C seems to give accessories a newer, more premium feel over micro USB.

1 Like

reversible so gone is the random poking direction.

A couple companies made/make USBC headsets, that play from USBC, but they’re not very popular.

Or do you mean for charging? There’s no need to, as most if not all BT headsets use a trickle charger, to charge. This negating the extra expense of using USBC.

Maybe in future as the tide turns on the percentage of USBC handsets, then it’s in OUR interest manufacturers still use the cheaper option.

It would be nice to have USB-C charging merely to save me money (One cable to charge them all!)

USB-C for charging is the next logical step across the the product line but as for audio playback via USB-C, would be beneficial for Hi-Res audio but many are more than happy losing wires rather than gaining them back…not to mentioned the lightning variations were soon phased out due to ‘lack of uptake’…

1 Like

I mentioned it before here in the forum that the problem with USB -C audio is that there are two types, active and passive and neither will work with every phone or device you may have or own. It then becomes a problem fr the manufacturer to test every single device for compatibility, and most if not all will not do this as its an added expense. Once there is a set standard for USB-C audio then I can see it being worth it to have it, otherwise we should only see USB-C charging and even that is a fine line because of added cost over the Micro USB.

Personally I want everything to be USB-C, regardless of cost it just simplifies things and what I have to carry to charge everything up.

2 Likes

I think its viable even into the wearables market. e.g. a Smartwatch they often use wireless charging or Pogo pins and so there’s an opportunity to have a “rechargeable charger” which you plop your wireable on and it recharges of an item you can carry in your pocket/bag. The smaller items do not need much mAh. That rechargeable wearables charger being USB-C would then need just 1 cable which would then recharge your phone, tablet. Up to about 30W is practical for 1 cable, 1 charger, for everything below laptop level.

I’m all in on USB-C. Seems like this is going to be the new standard for a while. That is until the industry decides to change it up again.

1 Like

Just like aspect ratios :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

do you have lightning earbuds?

@jacob101mcd indeed Anker does make a pair of Lightning earbuds, they are called Anker SoundBuds Digital IE10. Amazon usually has them but right now its ridiculously priced, but you can find them Here

you can also read my review of them Here

Did make…now discontinued as per this post from @AnkerOfficial in April 2018

Thanks for the clarification @ndalby and my apologies to @jacob101mcd I forgot they were being discontinued

1 Like

WAIT! How is the price at over $800. Think the decimal point is wayyyy to far over

1 Like

No worries…there’s so many listed around now it’s getting harder and harder to know which are current, the best or on the way out the door :confused:

1 Like

I’d prefer USB-C for the orientation-free plug convenience and the (hopefully) more robust connector and port.

Micro-USB has always seemed on the fragile side to me. If you’re a parent with active kids, you’ll know all about how the port-plug fit seems to get looser and looser with time and use. Compare that to Apple Lightning that fits just as firmly a year down the line as it did on day one.

I think USB-C is possibly being avoided for now due to the potential for misunderstood expectations. No one ever expects a micro-USB port to do anything but provide power (mostly) and data connectivity (sometimes). With USB-C, there’s every chance someone will buy eg: a pair of headphones, not read the label “USB-C for charging only; not for audio connection” and raise hue and cry about their being “duped” into buying a set of headphones with implied USB-C audio capability.

Same goes for eg: powerbanks where the USB-C port may be for input only, output only or both. Tech heads like present company will know to check the product label and know what they’re buying. The average consumer will just see a USB-C port and expect that if it’s a port that fits the cable, surely it must do everything!

1 Like