[Updated] Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2018

That’s a couple of hours of my life il never get back lol

Only thing I was impressed with was that the range of devices that are being supported. Not having the latest iPhone I should see a potential increase in speed but that’s about it :joy:

2 Likes

Yep, I thought they were trying to set a record :laughing: Can’t say I’ve seen their keynotes go beyond 90min or so for a while (either that or I’d changed the channel)…

For those who don’t want to go through the full show, MacRumors have posted a 6min cut down of the main things;

2 Likes

So glad I stopped watching and paying attention

Wish I had done the same :pensive:

I thought this was very interesting as well. I guess with all the press about battery throttling, Apple decided to focus on speed improvements for older phones. Even some Android phones released in the last year or two cannot be upgraded to the latest OS.

2 Likes

Last year’s went way over.

Must have turned off before it ended (or caught part way through) :grin:

Yes! That’s exactly my point. Give us options!

Well, being a marketing professional, I can say there’s some truth to the way Jobs functioned. We all heard the famous quote from Henry Ford, saying that if you were to ask people what they wanted, they would’ve said faster horses. I’ve seen it enough, in many areas beyond tech, to know that sometimes you have to push it, break walls, or we’ll be all stuck in slight improvements of what we have instead of a truly better way. Of course, I’m not referring to the way one holds one’s phone… But sometimes we have to just push people to take the leap with us.

2 Likes

I enjoyed the keynote. Some great new tweaks in iOS 12. Loved the Siri suggestions, Shortcuts and the screen time and parental controls. MeoJi’s (I know they’re on Android) but they’re not as good as the iOS ones lol

Also a couple of watch tweaks :smile:

I agree–it didn’t do too much for me. I do like some of the tweaks they announced for iOS 12 (short of the Memojis since I don’t use an iPhone X). So many people were hoping for new hardware announcements (myself included) but when it was all about the software, and my attention span couldn’t hang in there for 3 hours.

1 Like

I can relate.

Actually, it was 2:16:21 :nerd: which was actually shorter than last year’s. :laughing: The difference? Last year they updated their entire Mac lineup, introduced new iPad Pros, and provided sneak peeks of the HomePod and iMac Pro. :grin: This year? They drag out some new software features for way too long.

2 Likes

Installed the iOS 12 public beta last night. It’s definitely faster but some of the features require an iPhone X like memoji’s or other devices on iOS 12 like group FaceTime but it’s good.

The predictive text bar is looking better too

1 Like

First time public beta has come out on developer beta 2 on a major update? (Not that 12 is a very significant update :laughing:

I’ve heard that the developer betas were not very stable and crashed a lot… How about the public beta? Is it worth installing on my main device? (It’s an iPhone 8 Plus BTW, don’t want to brick it. :wink:)

Make sure to go through and check your app permissions. It reset all my bosses permission when he updated last night

Mine seem to be ok. Runs really well. Someone said that beta 1 was buggy but 2 was a lot better.

You can’t brick your phone either. If anything goes wrong you just wipe it and restore iOS 11.4 :ok_hand:

1 Like