[Updated] Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2018

1 day to go :grin:

Quick question, even though this might not make much sense in 2018ā€¦ Do you think that Apple will update or even acknowledge the iPod series at the event?

Even for a starter device, the iPod touch has pretty low-end specs (A8, 1GB of RAM, etc.).

Anyway, do you guys think that Apple will ever update this, or is the iPod left to die?

No, I highly doubt it. Apple has already killed off the Shuffle and Nano. Touch will follow soon. Just too many used/cheaper phones that can be bought without activation for kids who are too young to have full cellphone functionality.

1 Like

@paperairplaneguru Hard to say with the iPod Touch, how much longer it has left. The shuffle and nano had bad flagging sales and didnā€™t fully use the iOS ecosystem, compared to the touch which does.

Chances are it might get one final hardware bump at some stage but will then be left as a purely introductory device for the iOS ecosystem before being fully phased out.

I donā€™t think so because people will start to use the SE instead. I assume they are going to kill it this year.

Based of Timmyā€™s opening speech, itā€™s mainly going to be about software (or he has a bad choice of grammar for his closing sentence), unless they bring back the ā€˜just one more thingā€™ gagā€¦

Moving on from iOS after an hourā€¦

Yep they did go on a bit :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The AR stuff looks good, having Adobe onboard plus Lego, should give an additional boostā€¦

1 Like

I got bored again and stopped following. If anyone feels the need can they highlight the biggest changes and post them here?

1 Like

Yep they are kinda dragging on with some stuff, thought the ā€˜we call it dark modeā€™ was a gasā€¦dark mode is not exactly a groundbreaking new thing chapsā€¦

MacRumors should have a key highlights / WWDC in fives minutes sort of post soonā€¦

2 Likes

Dark mode made me laugh,I been using that on my phone e for a while now. Itā€™s great when reading in the dark and you donā€™t want to wake your wife.

1 Like

Was also neat to see Adobe and Microsoft Office onboard with the Mac App Store.

Nothing truly revolutionary, as expected. The Mac App Store update was long due, and most other news are cosmetic. But thatā€™s because this is the presentation for the mainstream public. They talked about improving older devices through the iOS update, and I believe most hardcore news will be under the hood.

What really got me frustrated, though, was the big ā€œNOā€ to the question ā€œWill Apple ever merge MacOS and iOS?ā€ I confess I will never understand why not, it seems like an inevitable future to me. Of course, input methods differ from one to the other - though a touchscreen Mac is also long due at this point - but surely thereā€™s a way around it.

1 Like

With Adobeā€™s pricing model (thanks to the cloud based apps) canā€™t say I was too fussed about Mac Store integration, same goes with Office 365, which is easy enough to download from within 365 for your running OSā€¦

Can see where they are coming from with this, doing a merge could dilute functionality on both fronts as the hardware is (and for the foreseeable future) different. One being designed for ā€˜hardcoreā€™ use if/when they sort out the specs to not being 1 or 2 gens outside of other manufacturersā€¦the other (iOS) if more for on the go use covering the basics and some advanced features (for a tablet)ā€¦

As for a Touchscreen Mac, personally not for meā€¦fingerprints on iPads can be bad enough, imagine a 27ā€ iMac :anguished:

Itā€™s all about the option. It wouldnā€™t be a requirement.

1 Like

Unfortunately based on some of Apple past releases, they make the option(s) for you, look at the ā€˜ā€™higher specā€™ 2017 15ā€ MacBook Pro, TouchBar made a requirement (with extra cost), not an option of higher spec, sans TouchBar without having older innersā€¦

Apple are famous (or perhaps infamous) for ā€˜decidingā€™ what the end user wantsā€¦or even how or if they are using it wrong :grin:

I was meaning more so if they had the feature, you wouldnā€™t have to use it and could navigate the OS just as previously with trackpad/mouse.

Some highlights from the keynote courtesy of Wired until MacRumors puts up a video walkthroughā€¦

Well guys, that keynote was pretty underwhelming. Software updates to all four platforms, but no sign of any hardware. Weā€™ll have to wait until early September (2018 iPhones, Apple Watch Series 4) and late October (2018 Macs, iPad Pro X) for the good stuff.

I agree. It didnā€™t make me excited for anything.

1 Like