The Community Christmas Countdown | Delicious Christmas Recipes

Suppose I have to try! = )

No no no, No caned yams, you gotta use fresh yams as they are so much better than that canned crap

We like this one in part because it is fun to make with kids:
Hungarian Coffee Cake (Also Known As Monkey Bread)
Makes 2 large

Mix 2 c warm water (110-115 degrees)
1/2 c sugar
2 tsp salt
2 pkg dry yeast
Stir until dissolved.
Stir in 2 eggs
1/2 c shortening or oil
Add 7-7 1/2 c flour, kneading well.

Melt 1/2 to 1 c butter (amount needed depends on how large you make balls of dough)
Mix 1 1/2 to 2 c sugar with lots of cinnamon
Break up 1/2 to 1 c walnuts or pecans into large pieces

Divide dough in half.  
Pinch off walnut shell size lumps of dough and roll into small balls.  Drop balls a few at a time in melted butter.  Drop buttered balls into sugar mixture and stir to coat.  Layer balls into greased angel food cake or bundt cake pan.  When 1 layer is complete, sprinkle with nuts.  Do a second layer and sprinkle with nuts.
Repeat in other pan with second half of dough. 

Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and bake for 30-40 minutes-until firm. Turn out of pans onto plate and let cool.

Delicious warm or cold.

• You can make a variety of smaller ones instead varying the size of the dough balls as necessary. I’ve used bread pans and/or pyrex bowls with a smaller pyrex bowl in the center to leave a hole.
1 Like

@Chris_Renshaw happy birthday buddy :thumbsup:

1 Like

OK, two things for this time of year.

1. Tamales. Steam them on Christmas Eve. Buy too many and then steam too many. Then put the leftovers (still in husks) in the fridge. Open them the next day and cook them un-husked on a dry cast-iron skillet. It’s the closest thing to a comal in my house. The little crispy bits on them are the best.

2. Burssells Sprouts - Even I can do this!
    Cut your sprouts into sections. Usually cut off the bottoms and then cut them down the middle. The big ones you can cut into three pieces.
    Put them into a big flat baking dish. I use a glass one. Cover them liberally with olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh-ground pepper.
    Put them into a 375-farenheit oven.
    After 15 minutes, pull them out and stir them. Then put them back in the oven.
    After 15 minutes more, stir them again, and then drizzle maple syrup over them. Don’t soak them, but get them nice and syrup-ed. Then stir them again and put them back into the over.
    After 15 minutes more, pull them out and they will be amazing.
    You’re welcome.

1 Like

Tired of ham? Try my perfect prime rib recipe!

Don’t preheat! Start with cold oven.

Prime rib roast w/bone in-1lb per person
rub all over: salt, pepper, garlic powder, red cayenne pepper

Put in cold oven, fat side up on drip pan
Turn on oven set for 375 degrees
1.5hrs, then sit for 10 min. before cutting

You can use drippings to make sauce if you want.

2 Likes

We make homemade cookies and Peanut Butter Meltaway squares. I can’t give away my secret PBM recipe though. The cookies are pretty standard, but of course my mom makes the best ones because she’s my mom and that’s how that is. Happy Holidays everyone :slight_smile:

Sticky Buns (a favorite Christmas morning delight)

1/4 (1/2) C. warm water ( 110-115 degrees)
1 (2) pkg. active dry yeast
3/4 (1 1/2) C. lukewarm milk*

• scald milk and let cool to lukewarm to destroy enzymes which make dough sticky and hard to handle.
    1/4 (1/2) C. sugar
    1 (2) tsp. salt
    1 (2) eggs
    1/4 (1/2) C. soft shortening
    3 1/2 to 3 3/4 (7 to 7 1/2) C. flour

PREP:
Lightly flour a clean countertop surface
Greased large bowl (for rising)
Cut shortening into 1/2 inch cubes

DOUGH:
In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.

Mix milk, sugar, salt & egg
Add shortening with a hand held dough blender kitchen tool
Then half the flour to the yeast mixture.
Mix with until smooth (not with hands). No big chunks of shortening.

Add enough remaining flour & mix gently (not with hands) to handle easily.

Turn onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth (about 5 min.)

Place in lightly greased bowl (turn once to cover dough with grease).

Cover with cloth. Let rise, in a warm place, until doubled, about 1 1/2 hour.

Punch down; let rise again until almost doubled, about 30 – 40 min.

Shape as directed below, place in baking pan, let rise again until almost doubled and bake as directed.

SHAPING:
(for larger recipe cut dough in half)
Roll dough into oblong shape (about 15 x 9 “) Spread with softened butter, spread with light brown sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon. (add raisins and/or walnuts if you like)

Roll up tightly, beginning at wide side. Seal well by pinching edges of roll together. Even up roll by stretching slightly. (butter your hands and rub roll lightly to cover with LIGHT coat of butter)

Cut roll into 3/4 to 1 inch slices. Place in an appropriate size greased pan.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes until browned.

1 Like

Candied yams baked in the oven with marshmallows melted on top!

1 Like

Mine is Coconut Milk Chia Seed Pudding.

Not particularly christmassy, BUT…

during my escape from the care system into normal living, I was in (Irish carlsberg, make the…) the crappiest bedsit I’ve ever lived in (and I’ve lived in some pretty cheap shit places).

I was soo poor (no seriously. Not like today, where they give you a flat, kit it out, and give you hundreds for having lived in care. Back then you got jack shit) that I used THIS recipe, I called it the GUT BUSTER

it’s so easy to follow…

Add an amount (any amount) of plain flour, an amount of sugar n butter (or that pretend plastic stuff… Check your ingredients against paint!) And mix. If ya lucky n got sultanas etc chuck some in, and if ya got it a sprinkle of cinnamon etc for taste.

Then add as much milk as you can spare to change from crumbs to paste/pastry like consistency.

Use some oil to grease a baking tray (or one of the teflon things)

Now spread out the mix, until approx 1cm/½” thick

Sprinkle a small amount of sugar on top.

Place in the oven on gas 5/170C for approx 25 mins (keep an eye on it, as depending on quantities used can cook quicker or even burn.

Once cooked, remove from oven, and place on cooling rack.

It’s ok tasting, but fills you up when you’re really hungry, and got nothing else to eat.

You’d never guess from that, that I was an industrial chef for quite a few years (industrial… Large canteens, hospitals, that sort of size cooking). Mind, it took me a couple trys to make 40 gallons of custard without lumps! lol

PS
@k_pug2003
Typo now corrected.

Congratulations!!! @downwithvivid.

1 Like

I hope the same happens for me!! LOL

Whipped Shortbread Butter Cookies

Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
Servings: 40 Cookies

Ingredients:
2 cups melted butter
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
sprinkes (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
  3. In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment beat butter and vanilla for 10 minutes on high speed.
  4. Turn mixer to low and add in add in powdered sugar, salt, flour, and cornstarch slowly. Once incorporated turn mixer to medium and beat for 5 minutes.
  5. Place dough into cookie press and fill baking sheet with desired shapes leaving 1 inch apart.
  6. Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes until edges are slightly golden.
  7. Allow to cool on wire rack.
  8. Decorate with spinkles while warm. (optional)
1 Like

My favorite Christmas recipe is one that I have also used at Easter: Smoked Ham With Bourbon Brown Sugar And Cola Glaze. The recipe, by celebrity chef Tyler Florence, can be found on the Huffington Post here and as an embedded video below. Enjoy!

https://videos.vidible.tv/prod/2015-05/08/554cec8ee4b07729e367e590_480x368_v1.mp4?vcxll8jwYj9E-FDEmvRBJscAxWDozCZnpilzuryVJ13hBeIN4QN-KcZ6a7Wa3cNm

1 Like

I think my favorite holiday recipes are:

Bourbon Glazed Ham (Alton Brown’s recipe) - I only make it during the holiday season.

Brandied Sweet Potatoes with candied pecans.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from The Community Christmas Countdown | Delicious Christmas Recipes:

Continuing the discussion from The Community Christmas Countdown | Delicious Christmas Recipes:

What’s wrong with Brussels Sprouts?? They are super yummy, especially roasted with pure maple syrup and bacon!!!

1 Like

Here I go again with one of my stories (very true stories that is)

It’s 1975 and I’m in what was called back then, a maladjustment center. In reality it was around 40 kids aged from 5 (me) to 18, and in various dormitories depending on age, with various issues.

I was there cos my older brother was, and because no one wanted to foster us, so we were dumped there.

Anyway, I wouldn’t eat my veg. So being 1970s attitude of… I’m the staff, you will do what we tell you or else.

So one day after just sitting g at the table for an extra hour after everyone was gone, and I was meant to be in class, one staff member held me down and.force fed me to veg I had left and wouldn’t eat. I threw up, and he carried in forcing it down, until one of the cooks saw it and stopped him.

Since that day I’ve never eaten veg (well I’ll eat corn n peas, that’s it). Of course I’ll eat onions n potatoes but nothing else. My ideal dinner is meat potato n gravy.

The smell of almost all veg (especially cabbage n sprouts) make me gag still, 44 years later.

So, yeah, you can keep your sprouts n the smell.

All things dessert. But cannot leave out the Eggnog + Brandy.

Happy Birthday! :tada:

2 Likes