Roav replacement mount

I recently installed my Roav and I’m not happy with where I mounted it so I’d like to move it. The adhesive looks pretty strong and I’m guessing I’ll destroy the adhesive if I remove the mount from the windshield. Is it possible to order replacement mounts? Or should I consider removing the adhesive and apply new adhesive to the mount?

I can live with the placement for now but I don’t want to attempt to move it unless I know I can remount it (it’s been less than 24 hours since I installed it).

Hi @chinhster , you could try emailing support@goroav.com for replacement mount plates, not certain if this would yield a cost.

If you are wanting to try yourself, you can buy 3M adhesive pads on eBay, ones for GoPro cameras work well (just make sure they are black and not grey, if your fussy about those sort of things). Takes a bit of patience to remove from the windshield and peel the adhesive off the mount.

2 Likes

I’m sure Anker would be able to send you something. But really, just do what ndalby said, the 3M adhesive is pretty cheap and you can get multiple pads.

3 Likes

I went thru the EXACT same thing when I mounted my Roav Dashcam on my windshield. I didn’t realize I had mounted it a bit leaning to the left and when I saw my footage, I was bummed. I did actually contact Roav to ask them about getting replacement 3M mounts. Jing said that at this time, they don’t have any for sale and that they will keep that in mind that customers would like to get additional mounts. So, no… replacement mounts are not available. This was one of the questions I had for Roav before I did my review on the Dashcam. BUT… the good news is, I was able to remount it by using the trimming tool (included) to help me pry the adhesive off my windshield. Just be very careful and patient doing so because that sucker is very sticky. Just go very slowly so that you won’t disturb too much of the structure of the adhesive. Otherwise, when you reuse it, you’ll get bulging. Hope that makes sense. :slight_smile: Btw, Roav customer support is awesome. I was on the phone with Jing for over half an hour because I wanted some clarifications on the manual.

2 Likes

Don’t know about the trim tool, mine needed a crowbar to remove :laughing:

1 Like

I’ll give the adhesive pads a try. Thanks for the heads up about the color. Unfortunately, the eBay listings I’ve seen don’t denote the color but I’ll give it a shot anyway.

LOL. I was able to take the mount off and re-use. But yeah, it felt like I’d need a crowbar too. Patience grasshopper. :stuck_out_tongue:

How long after you applied it did you try to remove it? I’ve been out of town but will give it a shot tonight. Fortunately, I can see a big air bubble in the middle of the adhesive where it didn’t make contact with the windshield so it might be easier for me to remove than I thought.

1 Like

Mine was on for almost 2 days before I removed it. Again, just use the included tool but be patient and slow. After re-applying it to the new spot, don’t be surprise if the sticky part doesn’t look all that great, depending on how much care you took into removing it in the first place.

1 Like

I just noticed that the Roav comes with a spare mount :blush:.

Where did you see that?

I ordered a Roav for my wife’s car and noticed it when I took the new camera out of the box (it was in the bottom of the plastic container that the camera is packaged in). I thought maybe it was something they just started doing but when I went back and looked in the box for my camera, there was a spare in there too.

Hmmm. Interesting. I didn’t see an extra one in my box. Now, my box is in the trunk of my car so I’ll go take another look. Hopefully, I just overlooked it. Thanks for the heads up. :slight_smile: Btw, did you ever take and remount the first one? Also interesting that when I spoke to Roav before doing my review and asked them about additional mounts, they didn’t mention an extra in the box.

Yes, I did remount the first one and took my time removing it. The adhesive still looked like hell. I had ordered some adhesive from eBay but as someone else mentioned, they were gray, not black. I finally found some black ones on eBay but they’d be shipped from China and would take a while. After my second Roav came in, I decided to use the mount from that one for my car and use the old one for my wife’s car. That’s when I discovered the spare mount.

I used the old one to temporarily position the Roav until I was happy with the location when looking from the outside of the car. I then used the spare mount when I was ready to make it permanent. Unfortunately, I didn’t check the recording first and didn’t notice that part of the mirror shows up in the corner of the video :anguished:. So I remove that one and go to my final spare. Video looks good, outside the car looks good, wait, what’s that sensor on the mirror that my Roav is now possibly blocking :sob:? Google the sensor and I may be OK. What I should’ve done is just use the old mount temporarily for a day or two until I was happy then mount it permanently with a good mount.

I did find some 2" 3M double sided tape at Home Depot that’s black. I’ll use that in the future if I need to move the mounts again.

:joy: Oh boy, sounds like you’ve been having too much fun. Lol. As for me, I don’t plan on taking mine off anytime. That sucker was a pain to get off. Thanks for the update.

Talked with Support and a suction mount will be ready in 3 weeks.

Did they really come out with a suction cup mount that will work with the ROAV C1 Dascham?? If so, someone, please let me know how I can buy one ASAP!

Edit: In case Anker/ROAV did not come out with a suction cup mount, does anyone know of a suction cup mount, or a dashboard mount, that will fit the ROAV C1? If so, a link would definitely be appreciated!

I called support and they’re sending me out a new windshield mount. Just give them a call - they’ll help you out. The rep said he knew nothing of a suction cup style mount at this time. He also said they are not selling the mounts separately yet.
Very friendly and helpful staff.

Here’s what I did for repositioning the adhesive mount for my previous dashcam:
You can remove the adhesive mount by slowly working a dental floss thread in between the glass and get replacement double sided 3M VHB tape pads dirt cheap from Ebay . After you remove the mount , you can manually scrape the remains of the old sticker and use the new pads .

here is a sample listing : https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Flat-Sticker-Adhesive-Mount-Pads-for-VIOFO-A119-A119S-Car-Dash-Camera-Holder/173502276129

Anyone know if a suction cup was brought out ?