Review: Anker SoundBuds Verve Wired Headphones

About a week ago Anker sent me a free sample of the Soundbuds Verve Wired Headphones in Black and Gray to review. Below is my review and features offered on the Anker SoundBuds Verve Wired Headphones.

This review was originally posted to my personal website earlier this week. To see more pictures and the complete review, click the link to the review. - http://jamesjohnston.info/review-anker-soundbuds-verve-wired-headphones/

Anker SoundBuds Verve Wired Headphones – Features

The new wired earbuds come with powerful 10mm composite drivers that deliver audio with clear highs, mids, and powerful bass. To help block out the outside world the earbuds come with a noise-isolating design that reduces external sound. And to keep your hands free, your eyes away from your screen, and focused on whatever activity you are working on, Anker has added a wired in-line remote with microphone for answering calls.

As with many wired headsets the wired connections wear out. This typically happens when you bend and move the wires around. Each time you bend the wire, that’s one less time you can bend the wire. As the wire wears out, the connection wears out. To resolve this issue, Anker toughed up the wire design to withstand over 15000 bends.

Anker has provided its customers with the option to choose from black/gray earbuds and white/gray earbuds. Each set comes with the SoundBuds Verve, XS/S/M/L/XL EarTips, Carry Pouch, their 18-month warranty, and friendly customer service.

Anker SoundBuds Verve Wired Headphones – The Review

As with most of Anker’s products, the packaging is a simple, easy to open white and blue box that has a picture of the product on the front and the specs/important information on the other side. The product I received was wrapped in shrink wrap that sealed up the product to keep it safe and tamper free.

The Build Quality…

After looking over everything, I found that the Anker SoundBuds Verve Wired Headphones were made well and looks good doing it. The wired portion of the earbuds is thick gray rubber tube that is slightly translucent. It just clear enough you can see the twisted wires on the inside.

The connector is right angled and gold plated. To help secure the wire in place and to reinforce the connection the wire is surrounded by reinforced plastic

As to the earbuds, they are just heavy enough you know their in your ears but not heavy enough to hurt your ears. The wire connection is also reinforced by black shrink heated hose.

The Sound Quality…

The first test I did was to use the Anker SoundBuds Verve Wired Headphones connected to my laptop to watch the Kingsman – The Golden Circle.

I have to say I’m impressed with the sound quality. I think they sound better than my Anker’s wireless earbuds. I think the wired earbuds’ sound quality is close in quality to some of the lower end premium earbuds.

During the action scenes you could hear all explosions, gunshots, and damaged to the characters clearly. It sounded like I was sitting in a home theater room. The base was heavy and I couldn’t even max out those 10mm speakers.

During the speaking scenes the voices were clear and didn’t have that fake sound that you sometimes get from cheap earbuds.

Music sounds good. Its almost as good as my over-the-ear headset. If they were wireless I would switch my old ones and make these my main set.

Using the Hands Free Option

For using the microphone test, I introduced the Earbuds to my wife and had her use the device for a while. I normally do not use wired headsets and rarely use hands free options when wired up. My wife has been using the Apple Wired Earbuds for years and loves them. So I got her to do the tests.

She said that after changing out the ear pads they were comfortable. She could clearly hear the other person on the line and they could hear her clearly. While I was traveling, I talked to her while I was on the car speaker and mic system and I had no issues clearly hearing her and she could hear me just fine.

Her only issue is the in-line mic needs a volume up/down and music controls. Why did Anker not put these on the remote?

For me, my wireless earbuds must have controls on the wired part or on the earbud. If I can’t control the sound and music, then I will not purchase the headset. My wife is the same way. For her, it’s a must. Her volume rocker buttons on her iPhone are damaged. So she has to control sound from the screen or from the headset. When she’s driving or she’s doing something and doesn’t want to look a the phone screen. Having to deal with sound by adjusting it on the phone defeats the purpose of the hands free option.

Because of this issue, she prefers her Apple Wired Earbuds over the Anker SoundBuds Verve Wired Headphones. If she didn’t need volume controls she would have chosen the Anker Verve Wired Earbuds. They sound better and feel better in her ears.

Final Thoughts

Overall, we love the new earbuds and recommend them to anyone who needs a premium set of earbuds at budget friendly prices. For less than $20, you can’t beat thet price. I’ve paid $30 for a pair of wired earbuds and only get a few months out them before they broke and the sound quality was only ok.

10 Likes

Another awesome review and pics @Element321
Love the moody lighting/editing on the photos. They look great.

These sound perfect for only £20

1 Like

Great review. I have to agree with your wife, they need to have in line controls for me to use them. That’s part of the reason I held off when I saw them. When at work I need to be able to adjust volume or pause as needed without having to pull my phone out of my back pocket

1 Like

I didn’t even think to look and see that they had controls since most of their earbuds had them. Not a big deal now that we have them. They do make a great pair of backup earbuds. I’m good at forgetting to charge mine before heading to the gym. Plus they sit on the coffee table and when I get to lazy to get off the cough to turn on the stereo I can reach over grab these guys and listen to my tunes on my cellphone or tablet…

1 Like

I’m the same way with charging my bluetooth headphones. Yesterday I had to revert to my ME Audio Iem’s since they were all I had in my backpack at work. But at the end of the night my cable split, can’t complain I got 4 years out if them, but these may replace those as an emergency backup since the cable is more durable.

Excellent review there @Element321 , thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

1 Like

Excellent detailed review, good pics too @Element321 :smiley:

1 Like

Really good review and some brilliant detailed pics :clap:t2::clap:t2:

Great review! Had my eye on them for a while and sadly didn’t win last week power draw…

Very nice review! How long is the wire roughly? I am trying to see if it can reach my laptop with a bit length to spare.

1 Like

Great review!! nice pics!! :heart_eyes:

Nice job on the review - I’m a bit of an audiophile, and I have been thinking about getting a pair of these as a backup. If I do, I’ll be sure to compare them to some of the other sets of headphones that I have. I appreciate how you analyzed each component - durability definitely matters for a pair of earbuds like these!

Thanks for the thorough review!

Nice review. Not having an in line control is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks @Element321 … I am looking for a new wired set and I normally go with the cheap pana so I will have to give these a try.