Region A and B what is the difference?

Hi,

Just wondering what does that mean if anything at all for those of us in the USA.

Can you add B cameras to the A Homebase?

Thank you.

The different regions have to do with the wireless technology used. Wireless spectrum ( the frequency range used for wireless transmissions) is allocated differently in different parts of the world by different regulatory domains for both public and private airspace. Because of this, we have different wireless “regions” which indicate what regulator domain controls the airwaves for that location and the standards followed. There are a lot more differences between regions and a lot more in-depth information surrounding wireless regions but I think that suffices. lol

Typically, the different region devices have different radios which dictate what bands / frequencies they can communicate over. There are higher end devices that can change region however.

I would assume that a Region A homebase WOULD NOT work with a Region B camera. Even if it did, depending on your location there can be legal ramifications when running devices from different regions due to possible overlap of private or other public radio frequencies.

Stick with Region A cameras and you will be fine.

1 Like

Thank you,

I guess I got confused I was in the eufy UK page not the USA and that when I saw the region B.

And then just wanted to make sure that they did work. But they won’t as they are not even sold in the USA.

Thanks again for the explanation.

1 Like

Wow, region locked devices outside the usual dvd/blu-ray family. Dont often seen this. As said above, it should be boiled down to a compatibility issue. I dont believe its a wireless spectrum thing though, this is universally configured into bands (1 through 14 are the most common wifi bands for instance, with 13 and 14 being a no no in the US).

https://www.data-alliance.net/blog/legal-illegal-frequencies/&ved=2ahUKEwimm-PrhsviAhXL1lkKHb6tAAEQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1D7PjXN1TCBIpFg3KDQ6Ug&cshid=1559487422108

It is 100% because of spectrum regulation. They are regulated differently in different parts of the world by different organizations so different regions are needed to prevent intentional and unintentional channel interference.

For example, channels 12 - 14 on the 2.4Ghz range (2.467 - 2.484) are ILLEGAL to use in the USA for WiFi. Where it is okay to use in other parts of the country. The public use of 2.467 - 2.484 for WiFi was banned around 2005 by the FCC (regulatory body that regulates wireless spectrum in the USA). I haven’t heard of anyone getting in trouble for using those frequencies for WiFi in particular but there have been other cases of people getting fined and jail time for using spectrum illegally.

Cisco sells Access Points with 18 different region options and each region has different channels allowed as well as maximum powered allowed broadcasting on those frequencies.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804ddd8a.html

Channels are channels, regions are regions. Its geotagging a technology in this instance (and not necessarily spectrum). Region A encompasses many countries, not just the US and the wifi channels are not illegal in all of these countries. I do not believe the base and cameras communicate only through wifi, otherwise why use a base at all and just go straight to cloud storage. I would venture to guess that another protocol is in the system that is region locked. Unless you know for sure (and work for anker, not just saying 100% with no real clue), please do not make this an argument and confuse forum users. If it was a wifi thing, I doubt there would be a geofence as they could just push an update and change the available channels (much like if you take a phone somewhere else in the world). A protocol change would require different hardware and seems a more probable scenario.

This has nothing to do with DVDs. I can understand where the confusion is coming from as they are called regions for DVDs as well as how the wireless devices are labeled but they are different things here. DVD regions are a poor attempt at restricting media content from being played in specific countries or regions while wireless regions indicate what bands, frequencies, etc. are supported by that device.

You also can’t just take any phone anywhere in the world, you need a special type of phone that can support multiple bands based on the regulatory restrictions for a region. These phones are called dual band, triband, or “world phones”. This is again, due to the fact that different countries have different regulatory bodies who dictate how wireless spectrum can be used so the bands and frequencies differ between them.

The region on a wireless device is also not just for WiFi but any device using wireless airspace. The home base uses wireless signal to communicate over wireless to the wireless cameras. Because of this, the regulatory body for that country dictates what frequencies are allowed to be used and how. This does not just include WiFi, but all wireless spectrum. This is not saying they will not work if you take them out of the country they are in, you would just be running the risk of wireless interference which could impact performance of your devices or other’s devices around you and could get you in trouble with that countries laws.

Unless you know some top secret underground talks with the FCC, ETSI, TELEC, and the KCC to simply apply different restrictions within their countries for literally no reason whatsoever I’d suggest maybe looking into the different regulatory groups for wireless spectrum in different countries before spreading misinformation about things.

Also unless you know for sure, and work for anker, not just saying 100000% with no real clue what the real world is, please just stop as it makes you look bad and is a waste of everyone’s time and probably confuses people.