Quick Q&A on the SOLIX F3800

The X1 team hosted what was supposed to be a chat dedicated to AC and DC coupling, but it turned into a chat about the Anker SOLIX F3800. The X1 team didn’t mind … much! So here’s a recap of the chat that went off the rails, but was still useful and fun.

Question: I do not currently have solar, but am interested in adding a small solar array to my roof to support the Solix F3800. Would you recommend using a separate inverter for that small array or just sending the solar DC power directly to my F3800?
Answer: You’ll need to add a separate inverter to convert to AC. This system will plug into your main electrical panel as an AC-coupled solar system. Remember that the control panel is the (MID) microgrid interconnection device. You will need an additional load center to relocate loads from your main panel to this new essential panel.

Q: If I have an Enphase system with micro converters on the panels and a combiner, could you get an AC-coupled system and or another inverter and DC-coupled?
A: The answer to the first part is yes. And for the second part is no. Enphase microinverters work fine you just need to keep it as an AC system connected in your main panel. If they have Enphase microinverters then our AC-coupled solutions will work with their Enphase systems.

Q: For the Home Panel, is the F3800 inverter on 24x7 when connected, or just as needed? For example, if using TOU mode it should only take 1.5 hrs to charge at 3800W, and might drain to empty in 2 hrs during peak hours. The other 20.5 hrs each day, it should be neither charging nor discharging, so having the inverter consuming power all those hours is using a lot of energy.

Q: My main panel is about 300 ft from the subpanel in my home. Does it have to plug into the main or can it go into a subpanel? Do you need an electrician to plug it into the main?
A: You will need to add a separate inverter to convert to AC. This system will plug into your main electrical panel as an AC coupled solar system.