Qualcomm Quick Charge 4 - why ignored?

Link

4 Likes

Looks like QC 4+ is following in line with QC 3.0, bring out a system very few can use, then down the road try and backward compatible the others it missed. I really dont understand why they keep making new tech changes like this so quickly. QC 3.0 has barely been on the market long enough to warrant a new advancement in tech. Seems they are just designing a new standard to push more charging devices. The main idea they employ is giving a wider spectrum of charging levels to optimize charge time. Looks like the narrow the window from 200mV to 20mV, not a bad idea but more gimmicky than anything at the moment, as they could be waiting until tech accuracy can catch up before a new system is released.

1 Like

Yup I mentioned this in a different post/thread
I think the reason it’s being ignored is Google has released This
Warning manufacturers against going the way of proprietary charging tech and is pushing for more PD devices

1 Like

They are likely realizing that the detriment the quick charge has on longevity of your battery outweighs the benefits of speed of charging. I have Qualcomm QC 2.0 on my device and have only chose to use that capability once in 5 months.

1 Like

Heat and rapid charging probably do reduce battery longevity. The question is how quickly and do you care (upgraditis)?

Interesting… I get they want to have something so they can charge licensing fees to other manufacturers, but isn’t Power Delivery (slowly) becoming the new standard for faster charging?

I believe this is why google said to not use it and is pushing more manufacturers to utilize PD

Yeah I only rarely use quick charging on my phone too. It’s convenient for when you need a fast boost, but in the regular rhythm of a day you can certainly get away with regular 'ol charging.

I think the reason is that other companies have a faster technology and they want to be at an even level.

Heat can be reduced if you do it the OnePlus DASH method, let the phone tell the charger exactly what it needs in voltage and current so the phone’s insides do no DC-DC conversion and so avoid the heat of conversion. If you can constantly fluctuate in micro steps the input then you will reduce heat and so maximize battery life.

I believe USB-PD does that. QC4 appears to be USB-PD with further optimizations. Hence if you standardize on USB-PD as the USB-C standard for power, a QC4 chipset is just a bit better optimized than non-Qualcomm, is I think the goal of Qualcomm.

I am just sick fed up with the glacial adoption of USB-PD, we can standardize on USB-C, one cable to be used for everything. Anker’s fault here is shipping MicroUSB buds, and scarce USB-PD products. I’d like to travel with say just 3 USB-C cables of different lengths, a 3-socket USB-PD charger which can recharge 2 devices and a USB-PD powerbank with say a 60W total budget. Just go and build it Anker and quite faffing around.

1 Like

I would agree with this idea for almost everyone except qualcomm. There are so few chipmakers for phones out there that beating your own tech every other year before you maximize efficiency of current tech can be a detriment.