Qualcomm plans to give fast charging a huge boost in 2019

Quick Charge 4.0 will support up to 36 Watts in 2019 :scream:

@AnkerOfficial @AnkerTechnical does Anker have anything to compete with Quick Charge 4.0 in the works? Mainly Qualcomm plans to add ā€œTriple Chargeā€ which will allow power to flow through three paths and keep the device heat in check.

Edit

Quick charge 4+

3 Likes

The problem with this is that only a handful of manufacturers have adopted QC 4.0, so to even try to get 5.0 to be mainstream would be a chore.
Not to mention that heat is and will always be an issue and so will the degraded battery longevity.

1 Like

Battery degradation would not be a concerned if it were not for non replaceable batteries. I wish some of the flagship phones would go back to replaceable batteriesā€¦

3 Likes

Yeah, I think manufacturer adoption for this will be near non-existent. I mean, iPhoneā€™s donā€™t support any QC protocol, and Samsung is still on 3.0. Itā€™s a nice idea, but isnā€™t going to really make much a difference outside of the three Chinese phones that will include it.

1 Like

I just liked the idea of multiple charging paths to keep the heat to a minimum.

1 Like

There are really phones on the market having non replaceable batteries?
Or do you mean something different?

I remember some old Iphones were the battery was glued.
But with some skills an patience it could be removed and replaced by a new one.

The batteries are replaceable but you have to have specialized equipment or take it to a professional to do so. Itā€™s not as easy as popping off the back and swapping out the battery. Most if not all high end phones these days are glued together. They say itā€™s for water resistance but itā€™s really just planned obsolescence.

1 Like

Thank for the info, my friend.
:relaxed:

My pleasure

1 Like

Imo, itā€™s not planned obsolescence because users demand a high ipx rating and the only way to achieve this is via certification and to do so your phone has to be sealed on all fronts.

1 Like

No, I donā€™t think so!
We had such ā€œgluedā€ phones in the past as well.
And there was NO IPX7.

Companies are always happy to construct an item which can not be repaired by such ā€œold tinkersā€ as we are.

I would keep my hands off such stuff!

I remember a documentary ā€œyearsā€ ago, about nano technology, and that electronics could be a lot faster n lighter, but heat is the issue.

Heat seems to the stumbling block and dispersion of said heat.

Once THAT can be solved, weā€™ll have the phones, n tech of our dreams!

1 Like

Phones are getting too thin these days I would much rather have a phone that is a little bit thicker with a much larger battery.

I also think the same ipx rating could be achieved with screws torqued down to a specific torque and rubber or silicone seals and a little bit of thread lock. The SIM/SD tray is a good example of rubber seals being ipx7 rated.

1 Like

These are exactly my thoughts.
Much fraud here regarding the costumers.
But if the flock is willing to followā€¦

1 Like

I agree about the battery and case, in fact I use to make my phones waterproof via a metal case with rubber surround, it was held down with torn screws and was waterproof down to 25 feet

2 Likes

For example a mechanical watch.
Nothing glued!
Screwed steel back with a rubber gasket : waterproof more than 25 feet.

1 Like

Since USB-C Power Delivery can delivery up to 100 watts, I think weā€™ll see more companies adopt the open Power Delivery standard rather than paying for proprietary Quick Charge implementations.

2 Likes