PowerPort Speed PD 5 ports Review

The holidays came early with this powerport!!

Picture this…thanksgiving evening with all your family over…and obviously, the kids (and adults now) are all looking for a charger! Taking all of those food pics for instagram kills battery pretty quick!

well, this charger is perfect for that.
I’ve attached some pictures so you guys can see, but overall it has 1 PD USB-C port, and 4 Power IQ USB ports.

The USB-C port can be used to charge phones that support it, and even macbooks or other powerbanks.

The other 4 power IQ ports are perfect for charging multiple devices all at top speed. It wont get “android quick charge” speeds, but a lot of android devices tend to be USB C now, so that PD port should be perfect.

My pros: good number of ports, great feel to the charger itself, LED on the charger isn’t too bright so have in a bedroom.

Cons: The charger comes with a permanent adhesive strip…For me personally, I’m going to skip out of the included strip, and probably just use a Command Strip or one of those velcro strips so that I can take this charger with me when I travel. Theres just too many ports not to take advantage of when traveling.
So even that con isnt really too big of a con since it’s just an option anyway.

Overall, this charger is great! I’d definitely recommend this or a similar product for anyone that always has trouble looking for an empty outlet for their charger or who travels a lot and needs to keep multiple devices charged up.

Right now, I have my charger set up behind the Sofa in the living room that’s in front of a ledge of sorts. The charger has 1 usb C cable plugged in for android phones, 1 microUSB for other androids/power banks, 2 wireless chargers plugged in for convenience, and that still leaves open a slot for a Lightning cable for an iPhone, or really anything else.

It’d be awesome if it also had Quick Charge ports on here, but I’m sure there are other products that have those instead of the USB C maybe; feel free to post them below if you have any suggestions!

This is also my first review, so let me know what to improve on, since I know theres probably a lot!
pics:

5 Likes

Would be useful if you had a meter. I don’t own a PD device the biggest demand I have is a 5V 3A and worried this charger USB-C port will default common denominator of 5V 2A. Currently I have the non PD Powerport 5 USB-C which gives metered 2.6A out.

1 Like

oh I see, if I can get my hands on a meter, I’ll definitely try it out! thanks for the suggestion

2 Likes

Thank you for spending a lot of time in writing this review, it will help other users get to know the product quickly! I’m so appreciated!:grin:

Here’s [one](Anker Quick Charge 3.0 63W 5-Port USB Wall Charger, PowerPort Speed 5 for Galaxy S7/S6/Edge/Plus, Note 5/4 and PowerIQ for iPhone X / 8 / 7 / 6s / Plus, iPad Pro/Air 2/mini, LG, Nexus, HTC and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IUTIUEA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hFLdAbPR7WMAJ) if anyone is interested.

I’m curious about this PD thing. I don’t own any laptop powered by this tech, but I really believe that it’s the future :slight_smile:
Thank you for this review.

Pretty useful if you have a lot of ton of things that use usb to charge. Thanks for the review. Also thanks for all the pictures.

I have the older version of this and love it. I regularly have the USB-C charging my MacBook Pro (15"-2016) without any problems. The other USB ports come in handy too with all of the power hungry gadgets!

The challenge of having QC and PD is total wattage and negotiation. I am familar with the wattage problem but less so on the negotiation problem.

My concern is if the QC and PD cannot be modified once negotiated. Say you had a 60W total Wattage with a 30W PD and some IQ2 18W ports. You could plug in one device perfectly fine, then plug in any other device and still be fine but what if you plugged in the 3rd device, then what must you do?

You could do these:

• not deliver power to the 3rd device til the demand drops from the other 2 prior connected ports
  • turn off the 2 prior connected ports and enable but at a lower power output
  • simply reduce power out

How will devices handle these situation?

I expect this type of problem is one of the ones which is causing the delay in releasing more PD products.

I advocate 60W is the maximum you’d want from a single brick. As heat to surface area increases with Wattage, the bigger the charger the more the cooling problem, remember that electrical conductivity drops with heat so you can cause a cascading fault problem if you attempt to make more Wattage, and then you have to add a fan to blow the heat out (convection) rather than rely on conduction which all current Anker chargers rely on. That fan if added is a cost and another failure point (moving parts fail fastest).

My Chromebook finally died, I’m using an older one which is really slow so in the market and seeking to get some Powercore joy from a multiport which does my next laptop and my other gadgets in a compact total system.

Question - I know Anker says its 27W and some of the specs implies its actually 30W, but I seem to recall it was actually up to 45W?

The laptop I’m thinking of is a 45W USB-PD, so I’d ideally like 45W although 30W is likely sufficient to recharge slower.

Have a look at the new Asus chromebooks, the new ones being released have usb-C PD

I was thinking of the Asus C302 I put into a tracker and wait for a price drop and suffer a slow older Chromebook til then. Dang I could have got it for a lot less on Nov 27th.

I found the results saying charger is actually doing 45W in some situations

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/Z7uN3G6MF9r?cfem=1

However, if you actually look at the USB-PD signals it sends, it is actually capable of 45W.

Anker is later observed to offer an additional PDO of 45 watts (20 volts @ 2.25 amps) on top of the initial power profiles… takes advantage of this to request 45 watts (20 volts @ 2.25 amps) which the charger then complies… can be seen to pull 44 watts (20 volts @ 2.2 amps) from the charger.

However this is finnicky, as for example here it ends up deliverying 15W which is less than the device can pull so it could hit and miss device specific

can deliver up to 12 watts to the Apple iPad Pro using USB Power Delivery. This means it will charge slower compared to using the iPad’s own Apple 29W USB-C Power Adapter

I have the charger - it is the free Xmas gift some of us (incl you) got. So its just a matter of days/weeks I’ll get the laptop then find out if it gets 45W.