PowerPort Atom III 2 port not staying charging

Purchased the PowerPort Atom III 2 port for my MacBook Air. I made sure the old charger specs matched the Anker specs. The charger cord uses the magnet. When I plug it in it starts charging but only charges about 2%. The light on the charger cord goes orange then to green then back to orange. It then goes dark and the Mac stops charging. I had no issues with my old charger I just lost it when traveling. Any help would be much appreciated.

I believe it is technically impossible what you have done?

Let’s remove the ambiguity in your situation first.

You have this exact charger?

You are using the upper port USB-C? That is

That upper port is 45W IQ3.

Who’s cable? I don’t think a magsafe cable works with IQ3.

Yes this is the exact charger and yes I am using a magsafe cable. I am not sure what brand cable it is.

Does Magsafe cable pass PD?

I’m not so sure… Apple has a habit of proprietary.

I’d attach photos of everything to help. You’re using the upper USB-C port? Show us the cable too.

I think your cable is probably not passing the PD protocols (data) only power so it’s acting like a non-PD so 5V 2A 10W insufficient power by default. You’d have to confirm with someone who owns that cable it works.

Yes I am using the upper usb-c port. It works to charge up 2% then shuts off. If I unplug the cord at the charger and flip the cord over and plug back in it charges again. Weird.

I attached what the description said on the evil Amazon. Others that purchased said they are not having any issues.

That sounds like an overload or a bad cable.

If others reported this cable works with PD chargers then the most probable issue is bad cable.

Do you have another cable you can try?

I spoke to Anker customer support and was told usb-c is new technology and magsafe 2 is old technology. They said the two don’t work together and that is why they don’t make a cord like this. I will be replacing with a charger that works for me. Thanks for all the comments

1 Like