PowerExpand 5-in-1 Mini Dock

Hi,

I have this dock but I am getting “Display connection might be limited” in Windows when connecting via it. If I bypass the dock using all the same cables etc. I do not get this problem.

My laptop is fully Thunderbolt 4 certified including DP Alt Mode. Can someone confirm if this dock is really the same?

My full connection setup if others are able to confirm their experience:

Laptop to Dock
Dock to 8K HDMI Switch
HDMI Switch to 4K monitor
= “Display connection might be limited”

Laptop directly to monitor or Laptop directly to HDMI Switch, then onward to monitor
= no problems

Thanks

Bump.

Plus, I have a new Dell XPS 9315 (2023 model, also TB4 certified) and this experiences exactly the same problem. Interestingly I did a slightly new test: disconnected the HDMI cable between the dock and the HDMI switch, then connected the laptop to the dock. Windows reported the same warning, which I can’t understand since now now display is connected. So it thinks the dock itself is actually a display!

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix it? I don’t really expect this nonsense from £1000+ laptops and a £200 dock to be honest.

Thanks

I’d recommend taking the switch out of the equation to troubleshoot. Shutdown the laptop, remove everything from the dock except a directly connected monitor.

Laptop>Dock>Single Monitor

Then power it on; still getting error message? My hunch is that it can’t negotiate with the 8k switch correctly. Support should be able to help as well.

Tried that before, and again today, same problem. This works however:

USB-C to HDMI adapter plugged directly in to laptop
HDMI cable plugged in adapter and to HDMI switch
HDMI switch plugged in to monitor

So using all the same kit just bypassing the dock absolutely happily works. So the ‘problem’ device seems to be the dock, which to be fair to Anker they completely replaced it (I messaged them after making this original post) but that didn’t fixed it unfortunately.

Especially since it’s the same problem across 2 different vendor laptops as well.

You experience that with nothing else plugged into the dock but the power, upstream thunderbolt, and single HDMI?

Also is the thunderbolt cable the official cable from Anker? Have you tried a different one?

I’ve had a similar issue with my CalDigits but it was due to me maxing out the throughput of the cable/dock with all of the peripherals I had plugged in; it was not able to push the displays properly with everything plugged in.

You may also want to try to remove the device from Windows, including as a thunderbolt approved device in the intel software.

That’s correct - the only other thing I typically have plugged in to the dock anyway is my keyboard/mouse dongle. I will triple check again with the new laptop.

I tried using the supplied Anker TB4 cable (which isn’t long enough for my needs) and a certified TB4 active 2m cable from Cable Matters (Cable Matters [Intel Certified] 40Gbps Active Thunderbolt 4 Cable 2 m with 100W Charging and 8K Video - Fully Compatible with USB C/USB-C, USB 4 / USB4, and Thunderbolt 3 : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)

Yep definitely exists - laptop to dock -> dock to monitor

This is a brand new clean install of Windows as well, using Dell Command Update to grab all the latest drivers.

I’m not really fussed about that warning (although it’s an unexpected annoyance), it’s more the fact I sometimes have to keep unplugging / replugging in to the dock for the monitor to be detected.

Make sure you have the Specific, Separate intel thunderbolt driver (not dell provided). Idk if there are any drivers from Anker (or firmware update) but grab those too.

I did ask Anker if they have any drivers/firmware for the dock and they said they don’t, for either.

Will give that Intel drive a go, thanks.

Ha, Intel TB4 Driver: “No driver is needed for Windows 11”

1 Like

All out of ideas, sorry!

Yeah so is everyone else - posted on a Windows forum, the Intel forum, HP forum (my original laptop was a HP Spectre x13).

Moral of the story - most expensive options not always the best. Thunderbolt 4 biggest pile of **** I’ve experienced. My much cheaper setup at work doesn’t have any of this nonsense.

Thanks for replying.

1 Like

No problem. For what it is worth I have two TB3 docks (CalDigits & Lenovo) and I have issues with disconnects and monitors not being recognized on both.

Thanks.

Dunno if that makes it worse, since clearly they’re not fixing problems in new generations!